Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
foldbak

Luxury Towing

2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD SO HAPPY
The interactive trailer features are amazing. An electronic check list, several camera views and integrated TPMS! The only thing this truck is missing is adaptive cruise control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201111_153158.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	31290  

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
ewbldavis

I wish my 2019 had the camera deal. You get gas 6.6L?

Love my Denali. The 2020's are beautiful and I was going to get a nice WT, but my buddy took the 2019 Denali on trade - for $50k I couldn't pass it up!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I wish my 2019 had the camera deal. You get gas 6.6L?

Love my Denali. The 2020's are beautiful and I was going to get a nice WT, but my buddy took the 2019 Denali on trade - for $50k I couldn't pass it up!

I got the Duramax with the Alison 10 speed. It was an interesting purchase experience. I went in for a 2019 2500 with 24K on it. I fell in love with the 2020 Denali but it was 12" longer then the 2019 and the 2019 was 4' longer then my Expedition. I was concerned about maneuvering my circular driveway. I went into paralysis by analysis and the salesperson just wouldn't make up my mind lol. I took the 2019 home and had major buyers remorse. The sales manager told me the deal was done. I got a different answer from the dealership owner. After all I've bought 4 cars from them. They reversed the deal and made me happy. Although I have to work another 3 years to pay it off...

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
The interactive trailer features are amazing. An electronic check list, several camera views and integrated TPMS! The only thing this truck is missing is adaptive cruise control.

Congrats on the new truck, it looks very nice! As far as adaptive cruise control, I wouldn't worry about it. I've got it in my SUV and dislike it greatly. When I'm overtaking a vehicle and finally realize a while later that I'm no longer gaining, I find my "adaptive cruise control" radar has picked up the vehicle in front and just slowed me down so I sit "back there" forever. Or, based on what it "sees" up front it may just shut you down harshly before you would have ever thought about doing it giving you a "what the heck" moment. I'm not a fan.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Looks really nice! I test drove one and they had alot of nice features.
I was amazed they had 11300 gvwr on diesel loaded 4x4 with a substantial payload.
You may want to consider airbags I got Firestone airbags from etrailer on my last truck. Super simple to install and made a world of difference
Old 12-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
notanlines

"adaptive cruise control" sucks right out loud! Danny is on the money...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
jasin1

If you get a 2020 ram or newer...might want to skip the “lane sense “
It’s supposed to warn you if you wander over to white or yellow line.
It “warns” you by essentially grabbing the wheel!
It puts a little torque steer in the steering wheel that is unnerving and feels like a momentary loss of control.
I’m sure there will be people that over correct when this happens.
If you’ve ever had anyone grab the wheel while you were driving and the panic that comes from that...well it feels the same to me.
First night I got the truck I thought the front end was slipping on ice
Old 12-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
If you get a 2020 ram or newer...might want to skip the “lane sense “
It’s supposed to warn you if you wander over to white or yellow line.
It “warns” you by essentially grabbing the wheel!
It puts a little torque steer in the steering wheel that is unnerving and feels like a momentary loss of control.
I’m sure there will be people that over correct when this happens.
If you’ve ever had anyone grab the wheel while you were driving and the panic that comes from that...well it feels the same to me.
First night I got the truck I thought the front end was slipping on ice
On Fords, you can go into the driver settings and disable the torque steer and/or the "booty bump". Our Edge will allow you to customize the "driver assist settings" to use all, part or none of the features....

As for the adaptive cruise, on ours, there are 4 "follow distance intervals" and if on the "four dots" it will slow you down to maintain a "LOOOOONG" interval. On "two dots" it's about like DW follows a vehicle ahead of her and on "one dot" it's not too far behind where I tailgate the car in front of us....

Our "lane assist" will keep the car between the lanes and on a long trip, it can get "in the way of trying to stay where I want to be in the lane". I typically turn the torque steer off, the "booty bump" off, the adaptive cruise to "1 dot" and set the cruise on about 80. That allows me to use the turn signal to change lanes (without the steering wheel shimmy) and the cruise will accelerate to get around a slower vehicle, then when I pull back into the lane, it will "keep pace with the car that's now in front of me.

It takes some getting used to, so if you're "impatient with new things" just go into the driver settings and turn it all off.

A question for foldbak: Does the GM version of the TPMS give pressure and temperature readings for the trailer tires or just pressure readings ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On Fords, you can go into the driver settings and disable the torque steer and/or the "booty bump". Our Edge will allow you to customize the "driver assist settings" to use all, part or none of the features....

As for the adaptive cruise, on ours, there are 4 "follow distance intervals" and if on the "four dots" it will slow you down to maintain a "LOOOOONG" interval. On "two dots" it's about like DW follows a vehicle ahead of her and on "one dot" it's not too far behind where I tailgate the car in front of us....

Our "lane assist" will keep the car between the lanes and on a long trip, it can get "in the way of trying to stay where I want to be in the lane". I typically turn the torque steer off, the "booty bump" off, the adaptive cruise to "1 dot" and set the cruise on about 80. That allows me to use the turn signal to change lanes (without the steering wheel shimmy) and the cruise will accelerate to get around a slower vehicle, then when I pull back into the lane, it will "keep pace with the car that's now in front of me.

It takes some getting used to, so if you're "impatient with new things" just go into the driver settings and turn it all off.

A question for foldbak: Does the GM version of the TPMS give pressure and temperature readings for the trailer tires or just pressure readings ???
Thanks! I’m gonna see if I can disable that( torque steer) I didn’t even think of that
Old 12-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
ewbldavis

Ha - we love the luxury, but there's always something that's too much.

No adaptive cruise - but the lane departure is a waste. These trucks are too big to be running down country roads with that feature "on". Mine has a warning for fast approach, but sometimes it picks up the hill on our street and goes off.

These are the things that make me nervous with "self driving" technology like Tesla's.

As far as TPMS - the 20's might be able to interface, but my 2019 is only truck. I know the "In Command" can connect to truck on 2020+, so maybe if you have that TPMS is can display?

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 12-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Ha - we love the luxury, but there's always something that's too much.

No adaptive cruise - but the lane departure is a waste. These trucks are too big to be running down country roads with that feature "on". Mine has a warning for fast approach, but sometimes it picks up the hill on our street and goes off.

These are the things that make me nervous with "self driving" technology like Tesla's.

As far as TPMS - the 20's might be able to interface, but my 2019 is only truck. I know the "In Command" can connect to truck on 2020+, so maybe if you have that TPMS is can display?
I agree !!!!! There was a "recent study of self driving technology" that determined the current technology "makes 8 driving mistakes per mile".....

When there's 4-10 tons of "square box mass" behind a truck that weighs 3-7 tons, well it's easy to "get the cart before the horse" in ideal conditions, so relying on "8 mistakes per mile technology" well, IMHO, that's begging for a problem with no hope of avoiding it for very long.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
ChuckS

Nice truck. Lots of creature comforts to explore... not sure about the Allison 8 speed..

I have the Allison 6 speed and it’s pretty stout.. hope the 8 speed will be also...

The TPMS for the RV tires may be an issue if you can’t locate adapters for the different size sending unit valve stem hole size GMC is using... standard RV trailer wheels have a different size valve stem hole than the GMC trailer sending units but can be adapted using proper size grommet

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
Big1

Congrats, nice combo.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree !!!!! There was a "recent study of self driving technology" that determined the current technology "makes 8 driving mistakes per mile".....

When there's 4-10 tons of "square box mass" behind a truck that weighs 3-7 tons, well it's easy to "get the cart before the horse" in ideal conditions, so relying on "8 mistakes per mile technology" well, IMHO, that's begging for a problem with no hope of avoiding it for very long.....
That is a bit concerning, I like the creature comforts on our 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW. It doesn't have the lane departure or adaptive CC, but I would disable the lane departure for sure. We drive several narrow roads, and don't think it would like it. I am a computer and sensors keeping me in my lane. I can't imagine what some drivers would do when the wheel tried to turn back.

I also believe that many who get vehicles heavy with these features, rely too heavily on them to save them.
One of the best features and also worst is 4X4 and AWD, the control you get with this leads many to drive beyond a safe speed, and unable to stop or just go of the road.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #15
ChuckS

While I marvel at all the neat new features they are putting into the trucks these days I am not fond of much of it because...

If some of the hi tech goodies break it can leave you stranded and trying t9 get repaired could be an issue..

Even my older 2007 GMC Duramax has the dash display panel with servo motors for every indicator. This goes out and it’s a full replacement of the dash panel or a rebuild ( and there are some great places that have quick turn around) t8mes on dash panel rebuilds

OP sure between buy a good scanner and carry with him for “down the road”

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on the new truck, it looks very nice! As far as adaptive cruise control, I wouldn't worry about it. I've got it in my SUV and dislike it greatly. When I'm overtaking a vehicle and finally realize a while later that I'm no longer gaining, I find my "adaptive cruise control" radar has picked up the vehicle in front and just slowed me down so I sit "back there" forever. Or, based on what it "sees" up front it may just shut you down harshly before you would have ever thought about doing it giving you a "what the heck" moment. I'm not a fan.
I actually really like the adaptive cruise we have in our van and wish my truck had it. At least in our Pacifica you can change how sensitive it is and that avoids unexpected slowdowns. I have it set for the minimum following distance and like it much better that way most times. But if I was towing I could say it for longer following distance.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I shake my head at the commercials of the cars where people back into traffic without looking, the girls taking selfies and drifting out of their lane, etc. I think to myself "gee, how dumb and distracted you must be to have to rely on this stuff?" I'm all for safety but I think the more folks depend on the electronics the more complacent they will become and the less attention they will pay to what's going on.

We're not talking multi million dollar aircraft with proven autopilots but with manufacturers that are putting in components from the lowest bidder to sell a product with what they consider a very limited "shelf life" (anyone remember the Toyota sticking throttle 10 years ago, or the more recent Takata airbag recall?). The test will be when these vehicles get some age and wear on them. Getting the latest and greatest is nice, as long as you realize it truly is not time proven. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #18
foldbak

I understand why they dont have adaptive cruise on a tow vehicle after a bit of research. My wife's Camry has it and I can literally just steer and never hit the brakes all the way to a stop. It's not abrupt or jarring it's a smooth transition. I would love it on my truck.

No the tires sensors dont sense heat. Curious when you would need it? The control center has a trailer menu that senses a trailer when connected and gives you ability to check lights and tire pressures. It even has a check list. Helpful at 63

I love the HUD! It also has lane assist which you can turn on or off. I love it because it doesn't make a sound. It vibrates the left or right side of the drivers seat. It's like a pre-butt bump.

The 10 speed Alison trans is smooth. You can barely feel it shift.

Talk to me about air bags. Whats the advantage? I question weather or not I even need weight distribution. I was under it last weekend and was amazed at the engineering. This thing is stout!

Tony & Donna & Murphy
Old 12-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #19
ewbldavis

I'll comment on your WD hitch...

I towed my TT once without it. Do you "need" it, no...but the combo is MUCH more stabile with the WD in place. I never felt unsafe, but you could feel the TT pushing truck around a little bit. I swore I'd never tow without full setup again (and it was only a 25 min ride home with TT).

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 12-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I understand why they dont have adaptive cruise on a tow vehicle after a bit of research. My wife's Camry has it and I can literally just steer and never hit the brakes all the way to a stop. It's not abrupt or jarring it's a smooth transition. I would love it on my truck.

No the tires sensors dont sense heat. Curious when you would need it? The control center has a trailer menu that senses a trailer when connected and gives you ability to check lights and tire pressures. It even has a check list. Helpful at 63

I love the HUD! It also has lane assist which you can turn on or off. I love it because it doesn't make a sound. It vibrates the left or right side of the drivers seat. It's like a pre-butt bump.

The 10 speed Alison trans is smooth. You can barely feel it shift.

Talk to me about air bags. Whats the advantage? I question weather or not I even need weight distribution. I was under it last weekend and was amazed at the engineering. This thing is stout!

The new trucks are great and have great engineering, but, you NEED a wdh/sway control - trust me, btdt.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing