Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
kb0zke

Vantage for full-time?

Jo Ann and I both like Airstreams, but the basics haven't changed much since Wally Byam started building them (other than they have gotten heavier and have more creature comforts). The Vantage seems to have many of the good points of the Airstream and few of the less desirable points.

As I said in my introduction, we are often at a project site for several months at a time, and can therefore experience both hot and cold temperatures. Question: How well does a Vantage do in this area?

Although I don't have a huge collection of tools, I do have some. I realize that they will have to ride in the truck since there won't be a lot of room in the coach. How much exterior storage space does a Vantage have?

I should probably mention that we're looking at coaches with overall length of 30'-34' or so, and would like to be able to tow with an F250-class pickup. Is this reasonable, or will we need to go up to an F350-class?

Enough questions for a first post. More later.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since you don't have a trailer or tow vehicle yet, in my opinion it makes things easier. I would find a trailer that you could stand to live in taking into consideration the size of the bathroom, shower, and overall roominess.

Once you've settled on your new house, then look for a vehicle rated to tow it. With trailer specs in hand figure the tongue weight will be about 200 pounds heavier with propane and battery.

When you look at vehicles, open the drivers door and look at the Federal label. It will have capacities and ratings to help you in deciding. I can say that it's always better to have too much truck and never need it than need it once and not have it.

Best of luck looking, it can be exciting yet scary at the same time. Once you have narrowed down your choice of trailer, we can better recommend a capable tow vehicle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
KanTC

David & Jo Ann,

The Vantage was only manufactured for about 1.5 yrs [mid-2012 thru 2013, I think?], and there's very little online info or details available. There are a few Vantage owner/members here,
and hopefully they'll chime-in with some specific answers for you. You could also do a forum search & might find some useful info.

You asked about exterior storage -- on the floorplans, (see flyer/links below) exterior storage areas are indicated by a "black arrow"... only 1 arrow (total) per model & only on the larger trailers. Apparently there's very little exterior storage & no pass-thru. As for your *unknown destinations* and possible northern winter's & below freezing temps...??... IMHO, probably not a good idea.
Very few construction details in the flyer, but this line/brand was likely intended for spring/summer/fall vacations & camping trips, not (extreme) winter weather use.

MH vs TT... you're correct, a travel trailer might be "happier" being parked for longer stay's, but be aware that a trailer (regardless of brand) will need some added winter precautions & preparation (wind block/under-pinning, etc) if parked long-term in winter extremes. There are a select few (high-end) 5th wheels & travel trailers which are probably better suited for hot/cold, but, the greater majority (industry-wide) are not designed/constructed for extreme weather use. Unfortunately, none of those high-end brands are shaped like an Airstream.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/6206...tage_Flyer.pdf

http://www.scottmotorcoach.com/produ...2fls-232245-29

Trailer Life Review [& public comments]
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-traile...vantage-32fls/

to the forum, and hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

David -
You might also want to check the warranty of whatever unit you plan on buying and see what it says about living in it full-time - keeping in mind that the Owner's Manuals are generic and you won't find a manual that pertains only to your model.

In our Owner's Manual (published in '06), it states that "Your unit is a recreational vehicle and not intended, nor manufactured, as a permanent residence".. Newer or current Keystone Owner's Manuals may say something different or not at all about using your rig to full-time.

If there was a claim during the warranty period, and if it could be shown that I was living in it full-time, I am thinking that my claim could very well be denied.

Certainly something to look into and get clarified.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
frano

There is a section for Vantage owners in this forum under "Community/Social Groups/Vantage Owners" which has pages of posts from Vantage owners. Folks in this section can answer all your Vantage questions.
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
kb0zke

Thanks for the tip, frano. I joined the Vantage group and asked my questions there.

Festus2, I understand that few RV's are specifically rated for full-time use. Since we're looking at used coaches, warranty doesn't apply.