Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
tdawg

Smile windy

we are having wind gusts of about 50m.p.h today. what do you guys consider your limit to be towing when windy
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
Javi

50 would be well above mine in all but the most extreme circumstances.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
PT RV`er

I wouldn`t tow with winds gusts that high. Last trip we took, came back with winds blowing 20 mph and gusts up to 35 mph. We have to cross a very high ( crosses over the ICW ) bridge to get home and it was an interesting ride across to the other side. I must have been going 35mph over the bridge, didn`t want to go any faster, I definitely felt a few strong gusts that made me grab on tight as well as the wife.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
therink

I would not tow in winds above 35,especially in cross winds. Not only would the rv be unstable, so would the passing tractor trailers.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
WYO 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I would not tow in winds above 35,especially in cross winds. Not only would the rv be unstable, so would the passing tractor trailers.
We would never get our camps out here in Wyoming if we waited for the wind to get under 35. Last week end we had gusts over 67mph. Went Elk hunting last Oct 1st and between Cheyenne and Laramie on I80 had 57mph gusts pulling my 28ft Passport only drove about 30, it still blew my trailer spare tire wheel cover off.
WYO 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The Mackinaw Bridge between lower Michigan and Upper Michigan has pretty consistent winds. The bridge roadway is about 150-200 ft above the water depending on which part of the center span you measure from. Winds consistently are over 30MPH and the bridge authority has set a speed limit of 25MPH for all "large flat sided vehicles" when the winds are high. The last time we went across the bridge, winds were gusting to 50MPH and as we were near the center of the bridge, about 200' above the water, we got hit by a gust which blew us to the outside edge of the lane (we were in the center lane) and blew open the trailer door. With nowhere to stop until we were off the bridge, the door remained open and I could envision the entire contents being spilled onto Lake Michigan/Lake Huron. Fortunately, nothing blew out and when we got off the bridge to check, everything was OK.

Like WYO 85 said, some places, you just would never travel if you waited for calm winds. Kansas is like that (as is Nebraska). Every time we tow through the Midwest, it seems we get hit by crosswinds at least 25MPH and usually significantly higher.

I think the size of the trailer, how heavy the tow vehicle is compared to the trailer and driver experience as well as tow speed have as much to do with how one tows in those conditions as much as the velocity of the winds.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
tdawg

Yep sure enough on our local news tonight a semi and trailer blown over.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
cabinfever

My plan for traveling when the winds are high is to use state roads. Speed limits on these roads are usually lower. Also going below the speed limit on those roads is easier than on a highway and there are fewer large open areas. The drawback, although you may see something you never would have otherwise, is the stopping and starting in every town and going through a larger town.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
stlucia

Christmas Day 2012 I promised the famly a week long trip in San Antonio. I knew the wind was gusting over 50 mph. Scared the dog mess outta me and I now check the wind before I leave. Very difficult to keep the 5er on the road , much less in the lane when either the gust came or a semi truck. And when you combined the two, wow, scariest driving I've ever done.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Trent McCain

Friends I'm gonna tell you a story, compared to most on this forum I'm a kid at 38, so take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on this. We own operate a small trucking company in western KS. Acouple weeks ago, we were to experience very high winds as the original poster described. My crew and I started that morning, and figured we'd haul until the winds came up, then park them. We pulled the trucks back into town at 11 a.m. I took the crew to lunch and we all went home. The winds hit and by 2 p.m., there was a massive 11 vehicle accident with several commercial vehicles as well as passenger cars....when it was all said and done, there were 3 fatalities. This is on a two lane hi way (US 83). The main cause was blowing dust. I don't care if you drive a Honda Civic, 1 ton Dually, or in our case that day 80,000lb Kenworth semis....the risk was too great to be out. I was very greatful we made the decision to park them when we did. We have had several instances like this, and I tell my customers I'm not risking anything happening to our crew or equipment. They are all very understanding. I'm thinking most of the time when we all go camping, we really aren't on a tight schedule (or shouldn't be anyways) so when the weathers bad, park it....better to be a day late, than not to arrive at all.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #11
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
Friends I'm gonna tell you a story, compared to most on this forum I'm a kid at 38, so take it for what it's worth, ... I tell my customers I'm not risking anything happening to our crew or equipment. They are all very understanding. I'm thinking most of the time when we all go camping, we really aren't on a tight schedule (or shouldn't be anyways) so when the weathers bad, park it....better to be a day late, than not to arrive at all.

Trent
Very well stated. The risk increases with the increase in wind speed, you see it on the news. As each of us drive in various conditions, we develop awareness of stability and start to know when we are putting ourselves (and those around us) at risk. I grew up sailing, have a tremendous respect for the weather, not a day goes by that I don't check the weather forecasts. Check those just as you do routes for low clearance bridges. Not worth risking.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
Trent McCain

Something else I find interesting is the members on this and various other RV sites who insist a dually is the only way to go regardless of what they pull. Owners argue this because of stability, better brakes, etc. While those are valid and true they (in my opinion) could cause a false sense of security, with owners feeling that "I have a truck, so I'm safe to pull when others aren't." Again, I don't care what your machine of choice is, there are times when it's be unsafe to be out in a Sherman tank. I find it scary the number of semis that are out in inclement weather....People think they're heavy so they won't blow over as easily or they get good traction in the snow.....that's total BS. Anyone who has pulled a trailer or driven a semi in the snow/wind knows it could spell disaster. When we get snow, our trucks are parked too. Some might argue that I'm a wuss.....I don't care.....There's days I've lost a fair amount of revenue, but I've never lost a crew member or a truck since we started 15 years ago. Friends, when the weathers questionable, wait it out.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
koko

Truly words of wisdom Trent! What else can be said???

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
Camper Wayne

Back in the early 80's, my uncle was pulling a travel trailer with a full-sized Suburban. A crosswind flipped the trailer on its side. It stayed attached to the Suburban and bent the frame on the Suburban. Both were totalled, thankfully no injuries.
Camper Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Western Traveler

Try google search U-tube travel trailer flipped by wind

Not sure what rules are in posting utube here but there are many examples.
The thing I see when watching is how most often the back of the trailer lifts first moving forward and slow rolling first the trailer then the TV. It is an eye opener I always pictured the rig just tipping sideways.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
Life-in-Him

Wind? There are ways & noways. Outside of Cheyenne WY last spring, camped for daysin high cross winds, our neighbor put home made "outriggers" front & back. 2x4x36" & ratchet straps stopped it all. Our unit was lifted & slamed down, bending our stabilizers.

As a high time pilot, 6,800 hrs, we learned high winds, get chained to the ground.

Made those outriggers, & saved a lot of potential damage the last 10 mo. In 24 states.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #17
notanlines

Life-In-Him, "our neighbor put home made "outriggers" front & back. 2x4x36" & ratchet straps stopped it all" we have perhaps hundreds of members here who live in what would be called high wind areas. How about a picture or two and a description to help them out?
(no, I'm not talking about the 'hot air' states like Maryland and Michigan, I said HIGH WIND)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:24 PM   #18
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
... so when the weathers bad, park it....better to be a day late, than not to arrive at all.

Trent
That is so true.
This story is no RV related but it is about “getthereitis”.
I live near a bay that has very shallow parts and can be quite dangerous in the wrong weather. A few years ago a guy from Sydney bought a boat from someone up north of us. He brought two friends with him to help sail it back to Sydney. As they were preparing to set off, the weather forecast was looking bad and the seller suggested that if they waited a day, he'd go with them on the trip to help out. The buyer said nope, he had to be back in Sydney by Friday. Well, the weather came up and they tried to pull into the bay for shelter. They found the boat on the bottom on one of the shoals in the bay three days later but they never found the bodies of the three guys on board. They didn't make it back to Sydney Friday ... or any day after that.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:28 AM   #19
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Mackinaw Bridge between lower Michigan and Upper Michigan has pretty consistent winds. The bridge roadway is about 150-200 ft above the water depending on which part of the center span you measure from. Winds consistently are over 30MPH and the bridge authority has set a speed limit of 25MPH for all "large flat sided vehicles" when the winds are high. The last time we went across the bridge, winds were gusting to 50MPH and as we were near the center of the bridge, about 200' above the water, we got hit by a gust which blew us to the outside edge of the lane (we were in the center lane) and blew open the trailer door. With nowhere to stop until we were off the bridge, the door remained open and I could envision the entire contents being spilled onto Lake Michigan/Lake Huron. Fortunately, nothing blew out and when we got off the bridge to check, everything was OK.

Like WYO 85 said, some places, you just would never travel if you waited for calm winds. Kansas is like that (as is Nebraska). Every time we tow through the Midwest, it seems we get hit by crosswinds at least 25MPH and usually significantly higher.

I think the size of the trailer, how heavy the tow vehicle is compared to the trailer and driver experience as well as tow speed have as much to do with how one tows in those conditions as much as the velocity of the winds.
John,
When we were coming back from Northland outfitters in Germfask in the UP that time we met up at the WalMart, when we got to the bridge, the winds were kicking up pretty good. Debbie said, uh, nope! Detoured to Straits SP for the night (Monday, so they had open spots) Did not complain, who would having to spend one more day up there!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
That is so true.
This story is no RV related but it is about “getthereitis”.
I live near a bay that has very shallow parts and can be quite dangerous in the wrong weather. A few years ago a guy from Sydney bought a boat from someone up north of us. He brought two friends with him to help sail it back to Sydney. As they were preparing to set off, the weather forecast was looking bad and the seller suggested that if they waited a day, he'd go with them on the trip to help out. The buyer said nope, he had to be back in Sydney by Friday. Well, the weather came up and they tried to pull into the bay for shelter. They found the boat on the bottom on one of the shoals in the bay three days later but they never found the bodies of the three guys on board. They didn't make it back to Sydney Friday ... or any day after that.
My son and I purchased 35 Henriques Maine Coaster a few years ago from about 60 miles south of us in the Chesapeake bay. A Henriques is a capable offshore boat , twin cummins , enclosed fly bridge to get out of the weather... radar, chart plotter,... the previous owner didn’t really want to sell the boat and dragged his feet a lot.. the day we picked it up at the owners pier he was trying to get us to wait one more day because it was so rough....it kept being one more day for everything ... the boat has a auto inflating life raft and just went through an extensive survey.

I’m usually cautious but on this occasion I was prepared for the trip and it wasn’t pushing it because I had the right boat for the job...same with towing ( see what I did there?)
I wanted to see how the boat performed in rough weather because my son who was 23 at the time would be going offshore with it .
But my son has his 100 ton coastguard certification and 50 ton coast guard captains license... it’s ok to proceed sometimes but the key is being experienced and prepared and have the right tools for the job..
Boat performed flawlessly in 6 foot rollers