Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
deer30084

Trailer King tires

I have a 2018 2520RL Keystone Passport. It has Trailer King tires, ST205 75R 14. April 27, 2021 noticed the tread bulging on one of the tires. I checked the air pressure and it read only 31.5 lbs. I put 60 PSI in them before traveling 165 miles. We were at a FL state park and called roadside service that put on our spare. Took the tire to a Goodyear store and got the Endurance, same size load range D. Last year I put an Endurance on the other side of the same axle because it got a nail in it in a spot that it couldn't be repaired. I plan on replacing the other two Trailer King tires with Goodyear Endurance this week. I have no trust in Trailer King tires. They were manufactured the 20th week of 2017. So they lasted 4 years on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	33028  
deer30084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
xrated

You're very fortunate that they even lasted that long. They are one of the original "China Bomb" tires that everyone talks about. Get rid of the other two before you have issues that can cause serious damage to your trailer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
notanlines

What he ^^^^^said times two!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

deer do you have a tpms? If not make that a top priority and finding tires at 31psi accidentally will be a thing of the past. IMO running TK tires for 4 years is much akin to playing Russian roulette and you've already spun the chamber 4 times.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I have had good performance with the Trailer Kings on mine. We are close to 15,000 miles and have even wear, still good tread, but they are getting close to the wear bars and are 3 years old at this point. That all being said, I just ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance tires to install before we start our summer travel season.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:13 AM   #6
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I have had good performance with the Trailer Kings on mine. We are close to 15,000 miles and have even wear, still good tread, but they are getting close to the wear bars and are 3 years old at this point. That all being said, I just ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance tires to install before we start our summer travel season.
You are going from one extreme to the other. I have to say, you have been very brave and lucky. I remember seeing a picture of one that was never used as a spare tire that exploded on the bumper. I just changed out Rainiers to Carlisle Radial Trail HD D rated. I did that because of the poor history or Rainiers. The Rainiers seemed to be better than previous ones I had new trailers because the 2019 trailer had D rated and the previous trailer had C rated — BUT I feel better about the new Carlisles.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
You are going from one extreme to the other. I have to say, you have been very brave and lucky. I remember seeing a picture of one that was never used as a spare tire that exploded on the bumper. I just changed out Rainiers to Carlisle Radial Trail HD D rated. I did that because of the poor history or Rainiers. The Rainiers seemed to be better than previous ones I had new trailers because the 2019 trailer had D rated and the previous trailer had C rated — BUT I feel better about the new Carlisles.

The highlighted above is exactly the reason I changed the tires (TK) on the last trailer to Carlisles and the Raniers on this one to Sailun (before I ever picked it up). Went up a load range on both.

Riding on questionable tires keeps me on edge and I worry every mile I'm towing. Much like when I knew I was 200lbs. over payload and traveling with DW; sick every second praying something didn't happen that hurt DW or someone else that could be blamed on MY intentional failure to fix what I knew was a problem. No more.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
linux3

Quote:
I am on my second set of Trailer King tires.
After 25k'ish miles the date code was running out and all I could find, locally, was Trailer King and Goodyear China tires.
Been pretty happy with the Trailer King tires.
I hold my speed down and check for air pressure and all is well.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #9
Rocketsled

Ours lasted about three years, too. (Also 2017 vintage) They also started to act funky and had bulging tread...we replaced them with Tow Max tires....because that’s all that was to be had in the town we were in. We keep them covered in storage and have added TPMS. The trips planned this year are all close to home. Name Brand good reputation tires will be swapped next season or so.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
jadatis

If you have 32 psi one time in your Goodyears , they damage by overheating too.
So quesion is was the low pressure courced by the damage, or the bulge courced by overheating by driving with to low pressure.

And your upgraded in loadrange Endurance need higher pressure for the same load, then the old tires. Official american list dont tell you that, but to laws of nature it is. European pressure/ loadcapacity lists are for every loadrange different.

To get a better picture of what went wrong, let me calculate the needed pressure with my pigheaded system.

Tires can last up to 10 years if pressure is kept high enaugh, and covered for UV sunlight.

Many cheap tires are China bombed , because TT maker used to low reserves.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
deer30084

Trailer King tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
If you have 32 psi one time in your Goodyears , they damage by overheating too.
So quesion is was the low pressure courced by the damage, or the bulge courced by overheating by driving with to low pressure.

And your upgraded in loadrange Endurance need higher pressure for the same load, then the old tires. Official american list dont tell you that, but to laws of nature it is. European pressure/ loadcapacity lists are for every loadrange different.

To get a better picture of what went wrong, let me calculate the needed pressure with my pigheaded system.

Tires can last up to 10 years if pressure is kept high enaugh, and covered for UV sunlight.

Many cheap tires are China bombed , because TT maker used to low reserves.
I keep my tires covered to protect them from the sun in between trips when it is parked in my backyard. I always check the pressure and inflate the tires before any trip. The day I got to my destination, my wife and I were sitting outside having wine of course, and I noticed the tread on the tire bulging and the sidewall seemed to be high. I checked the PSI and it was low. I think the belts blew inside and the air was in between the belts. There was a slow leak and the next morning the tire was noticeably going flat. I think the side of the tire was punctured from the belt inside because when I rolled it to the door of the shop, my finger got a stick from something sharp. Anyway, I will have 4 GY Endurance tires on the camper this week.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
I keep my tires covered to protect them from the sun in between trips when it is parked in my backyard. I always check the pressure and inflate the tires before any trip. The day I got to my destination, my wife and I were sitting outside having wine of course, and I noticed the tread on the tire bulging and the sidewall seemed to be high. I checked the PSI and it was low. I think the belts blew inside and the air was in between the belts. There was a slow leak and the next morning the tire was noticeably going flat. I think the side of the tire was punctured from the belt inside because when I rolled it to the door of the shop, my finger got a stick from something sharp. Anyway, I will have 4 GY Endurance tires on the camper this week.
Very similar to my experience with TK's... Only in my "belt separation" there was no way to see any of the problems from the outside... only when the tires were removed from the wheels and you could see inside was the damage visible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	33046   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	33047   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	33048   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	33049  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
jadatis

Question is if the bulbs are filled with air from the out- or in-side. The inner layer seems undamaged.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
jsb5717

Mine also came with the Rainiers. I used them for the first season without incident but it wasn't very many miles. However, DW and I have since retired and I knew we'd be clocking more miles. Based on the overwhelming feedback on this and the Montana forum I put on Sailuns. They were the same size and spec as the Rainiers but the Sailuns weighed 14lbs more per tire than the Rainiers. That doesn't necessarily guarantee better quality but it's definitely more material in the tire. You could feel the difference in the stoutness of the sidewall. I feel much better with the Sailuns.

Without this kind of feedback I wouldn't have known I was potentially driving on borrowed time.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Question is if the bulbs are filled with air from the out- or in-side. The inner layer seems undamaged.
The answer is: There is air between the inner and outer layer. How it got there doesn't matter to the user who needs to drag his trailer from point A to point B... If a "tire engineer" or "puzzle solver" wants to spend time on the "how it got there", fine with me. My concern is having safe replacements, not on why it happened with OEM tires and not with the two sets of "better brand tires" that have since been put on the same wheels...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
NH_Bulldog

I ordered my Endurance tires and they will be here Tuesday. I had the option of picking them up at the distribution center 2 hrs away and save $40 but my time and vehicle mileage is worth more than that so I will wait a couple of days. The GY tires weigh about 5 lbs. more each and have a higher speed rating (87 mph) than the TK tires. I don’t ever intend to reach that speed, and I don’t intend to alter my driving habits that have gotten us to this point safely, but knowing the tires can handle it is nice.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
jadatis

The Endurance is also calculated in maxload for 65mph. So same safety ( no) reserves as the tires you now have. Or at the same time you upgraded to a loadrange higher ( fi from D-load AT 65 psi to E-load AT 80 psi) .
If so you need higher pressure for same load.
Then also let me calculate a safe pressure for you.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
deer30084

Quote:
I ordered my Endurance tires and they will be here Tuesday. I had the option of picking them up at the distribution center 2 hrs away and save $40 but my time and vehicle mileage is worth more than that so I will wait a couple of days. The GY tires weigh about 5 lbs. more each and have a higher speed rating (87 mph) than the TK tires. I don’t ever intend to reach that speed, and I don’t intend to alter my driving habits that have gotten us to this point safely, but knowing the tires can handle it is nice.
Tires are in stock here at Tallahassee, FL. I will have them tomorrow. I won't reach 87 mph either. Speed limit is 70 mph on I10. Plus my truck won't go that fast towing a trailer.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
deer30084

My Keystone Passport now equipped with 4 Goodyear Endurance ST205-75R-14 Load range D tires. Will never buy Chinese tires after this experience.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
My Keystone Passport now equipped with 4 Goodyear Endurance ST205-75R-14 Load range D tires. Will never buy Chinese tires after this experience.
Did you elect to balance or not balance?

Tags
tires