Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
jacksonbgood47

Smell inside 2020 Cougar

Has anyone experienced a faint nauseating smell inside their unit? Maybe propane but too slight to set off propane detector.
jacksonbgood47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What is nauseating to one may be a pleasant bouquet to another. There are a myriad of things that can make an RV smell especially when it’s new. There are several different ways of dealing with it too. Open windows, numerous different air fresheners, etc. as long as your having LP leaks or mold issues, I would keep it aired out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
LHaven

To me, propane always smells like garlic, which I find anything but nauseating.

In a new rig, you could be smelling outgassing from the wood or flooring, various adhesives, the wallpaper paste, the vinyl or leather seating, pretty much anything. I've known people who are put off by "new car smell."

If it's a brand new rig, you probably don't have a mold problem. On the other hand, if your blackwater connections are faulty, this is exactly when you'd start encountering that.

Or possibly even your gray water connections? To me, gray water has always had that same garlicky smell (maybe it's just the way DW cooks, but still).
Old 04-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Since my wife saw a mouse in our trailer many months ago she douses it with essential oil spray and that is truly nauseating. I have mouse bait out and use a couple of those plug in ultrasonic mouse gizmos (no comments needed, wife insisted all anti-rodent techniques be employed). Some folks smell their black tank. Some formaldahyde (sp?) may be used in some of the interior stuff. You may have a dead mouse (yes rat poison does work); a million reasons for a stink. Also never though propane smelled like garlic. That is a new one. I think propane stink smells like propane stink.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
jfk69

Walk in when my Lab had table scraps and it will redefine your perception of nauseating....
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Since my wife saw a mouse in our trailer many months ago she douses it with essential oil spray and that is truly nauseating. I have mouse bait out and use a couple of those plug in ultrasonic mouse gizmos (no comments needed, wife insisted all anti-rodent techniques be employed). Some folks smell their black tank. Some formaldahyde (sp?) may be used in some of the interior stuff. You may have a dead mouse (yes rat poison does work); a million reasons for a stink. Also never though propane smelled like garlic. That is a new one. I think propane stink smells like propane stink.
LOL you mean these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAEB77B9-5735-4C78-9361-E210956DE3C2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	32969  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
LOL you mean these?

Our gizmos are "Brison" brand. I have doubts if they do anything but it can't hurt I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse_gizmo.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	32970  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:42 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Our gizmos are "Brison" brand. I have doubts if they do anything but it can't hurt I guess.
I have had mice crap right under ours in the basement. Wife insists on using them still. I sympathize with you.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I have had mice crap right under ours in the basement. Wife insists on using them still. I sympathize with you.

Our vacation home in the mountains stayed unoccupied for months at a time. We had a plethora of insects, rodents etc. that got in the house or in the roof. I tried most everything including the electronic repellers. Ended up with about 8 of them throughout the house and one "specialized" one - and it actually seemed to work. It was a larger type unit that stood alone. It plugged into an outlet but sat on a countertop (or on top of the fireplace in our case). It had selectors to choose between small insects/spiders, bats, rodents etc. It worked the best of them all until we got puppy. The setting for rodents (wood rats) drove her crazy so we had to stop using it. Here is a link to what I had in the event anyone is interested in seeing if it works for them;

https://homeshielders.com/products/t...iABEgLNUvD_BwE
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #10
bobbecky

This is the manual for your rig, https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...al_revised.pdf ,and starting on page 13, it discusses air quality issues in these RVs, and on page 16 it talks about formaldehyde, which is in many of the materials inside your trailer, and this chemical outgasses causing a nasty odor, and about the only thing you can do about it is ventilation, and eventually it will dissipate to the point you will not smell it anymore.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
a7az

Check if it's the smell of propane by releasing a tiny amount of propane from your propane tank and smelling it.

If the source of the smell is biological you need to (1) remove the biological material and (2) treat the affected area with Odoban at the concentrating recommended on the bottle specified for disinfection, not merely scent removal.

If you don't get rid of the source of the problem you will never get rid of the smell.
a7az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
jacksonbgood47

More info
Purchased a flammable gas detector. Checked propane lines under kitchen cabinet. Alarm sounded. I disconnected propane feed line under kitchen slide out and rechecked no alarm. I hooked propane feed line back up and rechecked alarm sounded. Pretty sure there is a slight leak in one of those lines.
jacksonbgood47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbgood47 View Post
More info
Purchased a flammable gas detector. Checked propane lines under kitchen cabinet. Alarm sounded. I disconnected propane feed line under kitchen slide out and rechecked no alarm. I hooked propane feed line back up and rechecked alarm sounded. Pretty sure there is a slight leak in one of those lines.
Arm yourself with a spray bottle of very soapy water, locate the connections and give it hell.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
DroughtBuster

We had a smell in the front storage compartment of our fifth wheel The smell reminded me of propane or natural gas, but was just different enough that I was sure it was not one of those. It turn out that our battery was gassing. Took the battery out of the compartment and it was obvious that was where the smell came from. New battery, no more smell. Perhaps that is your issue.
DroughtBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #15
jimp

Smell Inside 2020 Cougar

Always make sure there is water in all the drain traps under sinks etc. as smells will come through from the holding tanks. Water evaporates from traps if not in use for a while!
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar