Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Garbear2483

Curt Trutrack Weight Distribution with Sway Control

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Curt Trutrack WD system for my 2021 Keystone Hideout 28BHS. When installing the trunnion bar attachments to the trailer frame there is a 1" cross bar in the way of where the attachments would go. You're supposed to place attachments brackets 4" in from the end of the bars. Is there any leeway in the 4 inch requirement? I think either 3 or 5 inches in would work to bypass cross bar. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks!
Garbear2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would use 5” to allow for tight turns without the bar falling out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
Garbear2483

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback
Old 03-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Garbear2483

Hello all. I installed my WD hitch and everything was nice and level. I loaded my truck with camping gear and when I went to hook up my WD the sway bars were off alignment. I had to take it apart and adjust for the weight in the back of my truck. Is that normal? My WD system has sway bars that are locked into place vs having adjustable chains. Big pain in arse. Any Feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbear2483 View Post
Hello all. I installed my WD hitch and everything was nice and level. I loaded my truck with camping gear and when I went to hook up my WD the sway bars were off alignment. I had to take it apart and adjust for the weight in the back of my truck. Is that normal? My WD system has sway bars that are locked into place vs having adjustable chains. Big pain in arse. Any Feedback is appreciated.
What is the "past history of use" ???

Did you just buy the trailer/hitch and only tow it home "empty" ??

Is this the first time you've hitched the rig since filling the trailer with gear??

Typically, it takes a significant amount of change (weight change in the truck or trailer). If this is the first time using the rig, you may have 1000 pounds difference from when the dealer set up the hitch. In that situation, yes, you'll likely need to change hitch adjustment.

On the other hand, if this is "the same way it was set up last summer and I can't identify anything that's changed"... Then we need to take a different approach to the issue.

So, what's the scenario ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Garbear2483

This is the first time I used it. When I set it up, I didn't have gear in back of the truck. I added a few bundles of wood, 25lb propane tank and a small grill in the bed. When I went to hook up the bars they were out of alignment, so I had to get the sockets out and re-adjust. I didn't think it was significant but maybe it was. Seems crazy that I'd have to adjust every time for various loads in the truck. I normally don't bring wood, but this was a special occasion.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

You say you loaded the truck and this is your first time, so is the trailer loaded for the first time as well? What truck? If you add the trailer and truck info in your signature line it would help by not having to ask every time someone want's to help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Garbear2483

I installed the WD hitch myself by watching a Youtube video from the manufacturer. It's a brand new camper (2021 Keystone Hideout 28BHS) and we had already loaded with our camping gear before I setup the WD hitch on my truck. My truck (2021 Ram 2500 6.4L) bed was empty during my initial setup and everything was level once hitched...truck and camper. I loaded a few bundles of wood, a 25 propane tank, and small grill in the truck bed. I made sure the wood was positioned closer to the front of the bed vs the back. When I went to hook up the WD it was no longer aligned correctly and had to undo hitch and reset to get level again.

We used to have an old Surveyor hybrid that used a WD hitch with chains on the trunnion bars, so you could easily adjust it. The Trutrack system is bolted on and trunnion bar adjustments require unbolting to make adjustments up or down. Hope that helps?
Old 03-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

What does "out of alignment" mean exactly? The wdh bars, trailer/truck? As far as the wood weight; a "few bundles"? How big are those bundles - 1/4 cord, 1/2 cord? What kind of wood - oak/mesquite vs pine/elm is a big difference? IMO you should not have to adjust the hitch (I'm not familiar with the Curt) if you just throw some "stuff" in the bed. 1/2 cord of wood - the truck needs to support that, not the wdh trying to adjust for it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

If you're getting a 2500 to squate then I think you need to redefine "a few things" or get new springs. The wdh is designed to balance the load of the trailer tongue weight between the axles and not to compensate for the existing truck load. A set of air bags can help level the truck but I'd urge you to visit a scale loaded up to see exactly where you're at.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #11
Bill-2020

I have that WDH on my F250/2020 Passport (22ft, light trailer). I set it up with the trailer loaded for a week and full fresh water. Nothing in the bed of the truck. I have a set of air bags for leveling any squat in the truck back to the height it was with the trailer attached. As far as that 4” line on the bars, don’t have past it. Mine are about 5” in because of the battery rack. Like you. Make sure your bars are nearly horizontal when set up per the Curt instructions. If you’re having to lower/raise the brackets on the A frame, you may have to reset the angle of the ball instead.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

I too do not understand what you mean by "Out of alignment".

Do you mean that once you drop the trailer on the hitch ball, you can't just position the WD spring bars on the "L" brackets and insert the "pins"? Because this is how it should be. You need to raise the tongue/hitch after coupling before you can put the WD spring bars into place.

I need a little more explanation before I can help further. Perhaps some pictures would help?

Tags
rack, sway control, weight distribution