Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2020, 05:15 AM   #21
AF15FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most of the clear sealant is ProFlex RV. You can get it in 10 ounce tubes (standard caulking gun size) on Amazon. Many camper parts stores also have it in stock. https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-GC2810...866BRFNV2WEK88
Thanks. I’ve found it now. Can I seal right over it, or do I have to pull
It off and clean it before resealing with more pro flex? Thanks for all of the help.
AF15FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:45 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

I usually try to peel off the old. It’s not easy, and yes whatever you do clean the surface before applying new. We used to use denatured alcohol but it’s banned out here. I use Fantastic and a clean rag, have to wait for it to dry.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd try to keep the installation "as clean as possible". You can apply ProFlex over the DICOR white, but if/when you need to get access next time, it's going to be "more goop to deal with"... For me, NOW is the best time to do it right, not cover up things with a better layer...

So, I'd remove the light (one more time), clean off the "old layer of sealant from yesterday" wipe down the area to remove all the white sealant and then reinstall the light and seal it with ProFlex...

Looking at your photo, if I have my orientation correct, it looks like the light fixture was sealed along the bottom and the sides with the top not adequately sealed ???? If that is actually the way it was sealed at the factory, then the way it was sealed "MAY" (not is) a part of the problem with leakage... The "general rule" for applying sealant to components on a vertical surface is to seal from "near the center bottom" with a continuous bead of sealant around the side, over the top, around the other side and then to the bottom, leaving about a 1" space for any water that may accumulate a path to leak away from the fixture...

So, if what I think is the way that light was sealed, they left the top with "minimal sealant" and applied a heavy bead around the sides and bottom ????? If so, they did it "upside down".... What you want to end up with is a good bead of sealant around the entire fixture, leaving about 1" on the bottom with no sealant so water can escape if there ever is a leak.....

You also want a layer of butyl putty tape under the light, so the screws that hold it in place can not "weep water" into the trailer.

If you don't have it, butyl putty tape is available at any camper supply store. There are two types of putty tape, one is clay based and dries out/cracks in a year or so. Skip that kind.... You want butyl putty tape. It's a "rubbery, long lasting tape that seals much, MUCH better..... Just apply the putty tape to the entire underside of the light, put it in place, secure the screws and then wipe down the margins and apply your ProFlex. I know, sounds complex, but really it isn't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF15FlyGuy View Post
Thanks for the reply. My trailer has an aluminum frame, so I think that the framing shouldn't be damaged... I could be wrong about the frame... so I'm thinking that probably most of the damage would be in the wall paneling/insulation itself? It also seems to only be on one side of the trailer. I'm going to hop up there tomorrow as we got back tonight after dark and see what's what on the roof. I fear we might have bought one that was aready leaking and were the lucky recipients of a few months of leakage.

Anybody out there with any recommendations for repair shops in middle GA (Macon/WR/ATL) area?

Seems like I remember there are some repair shops
on the road going by the
Thanks.
Seems like there are some repair places in Macon Byron area around Camping World and Campers Inn, same exit from I-75

I know Camping World has big lot so you can easily pull in, park and have them come out for a quick assessment.

As everyone is covered up with work these days, I’d suggest making an appointment to be sure they are working and know to plan for a drive in assessment.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #25
Army Paladin

Here is what happens if you don’t catch it in time. Not good, especially going down the highway. What ever you do, make sure you have the roof inspected at least once a year and keep them sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4684402D-31D2-4263-9FD7-E4CF5298AA70.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	31368  

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
Jim2366

Thanks I have ordered the sealant from Amazon.

There is insurance coverage that
will repair or replace a vehicle roof with issues caused by damage or wear and tear. This also includes protection for other parts of the vehicle damaged by the roof’s malfunction.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #27
AF15FlyGuy

Self thread revival. After we stopped living in the trailer, we got it looked at. A little bit of delamination in the closet by the bed, but after I did an emergency reseal of the offending light, everything dried out. I had a local RV repairman take a look and he said it's dry on the inside now. I then had a roof treatment of GACO applied to the entire roof, and every light pulled, checked and resealed. Looks like everything is good to go now. Thanks to everyone for your help. For a first timer, it was great learning and now I know what to do/look for in the future.
AF15FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, water, water damage