Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
jaymillikan

2000 Keystone Sprinter 28RK Rim specs

Hello everyone!

New to the Keystone community, and I apologize but I couldn't find specs for my specific year. From what the sales brochure says, I should have 225/75R15 tires on my camper. Unfortunately, I'm not near my camper and I am looking to buy new rims to be waiting for me when I get home. Any help on lug pattern and width would be greatly appreciated, and if there is a 16" option for me, I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Jay M.
jaymillikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillikan View Post
Hello everyone!

New to the Keystone community, and I apologize but I couldn't find specs for my specific year. From what the sales brochure says, I should have 225/75R15 tires on my camper. Unfortunately, I'm not near my camper and I am looking to buy new rims to be waiting for me when I get home. Any help on lug pattern and width would be greatly appreciated, and if there is a 16" option for me, I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Jay M.
Can you look up the exact model and year of your trailer on rv trader? See if anyone has the tire and weight level sticker that is posted on the side of the trailer in the pictures. Maybe compare a couple to see if they all have the same tire combo
Old 01-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
jaymillikan

Thanks!

That's a great idea. I also had a friend of mine run by and look at it, but I appreciate the heads up thinking!!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "first big issue" is whether YOUR trailer has 15" 5 lug hubs or 15" 6 lug hubs. Many of the axles used during those years were "barely rated for trailer capacity" and all the RV manufacturers installed 5 lug hubs with 225/75R15 tires in the C/D load range while they used 6 lug hubs with the LRE tires.

Then, also around that same time frame, they started installing 6 lug hubs on all trailers in that axle capacity range and used 5 lug hubs on the 205/215 size tires....

And, if you're not the original owner, there's no telling what a previous owner may have upgraded/downgraded or "why" he may have made those choices. You could have most anything from after market "look alike" wheels to the original OEM wheels.

All of that to say, you'll need to actually "put your eyes on your trailer wheels" to know for sure. I wouldn't take any sticker on the side of a 20 year old trailer as being "the source of current information".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
jaymillikan

Thanks for that info. I have 6 lug 15 inch wheels, I will probably go with aluminum wheels with load range g tires
Old 01-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "first big issue" is whether YOUR trailer has 15" 5 lug hubs or 15" 6 lug hubs. Many of the axles used during those years were "barely rated for trailer capacity" and all the RV manufacturers installed 5 lug hubs with 225/75R15 tires in the C/D load range while they used 6 lug hubs with the LRE tires.

Then, also around that same time frame, they started installing 6 lug hubs on all trailers in that axle capacity range and used 5 lug hubs on the 205/215 size tires....

And, if you're not the original owner, there's no telling what a previous owner may have upgraded/downgraded or "why" he may have made those choices. You could have most anything from after market "look alike" wheels to the original OEM wheels.

All of that to say, you'll need to actually "put your eyes on your trailer wheels" to know for sure. I wouldn't take any sticker on the side of a 20 year old trailer as being "the source of current information".....
That’s a good point... your right who knows what is actually on the trailer now
Old 01-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I have 6 lug 15 inch wheels, I will probably go with aluminum wheels with load range g tires
I don't know of any wheel manufacturer who makes 6 lug 15" wheels rated at 110PSI or 4080 pounds per wheel. Only about half the 16" wheels are rated that high. You'll probably be limited to "one very expensive specialty wheel" if you can even find that.

There are a few (very few) 15" wheels rated at 95PSI and 3197 pounds per tire, which you would need if you could find load range F (12 ply) tires.

Most people who upgrade to LRF tires go to 16" 6 lug wheels and most that upgrade to LRG tires are forced to go to 16" 8 lug wheels just to find the pressure/load rating required by 12 and 14 ply tires.

I think you'd probably do better sticking with 225/75R15 LRE tires at 80PSI or upgrading to 235/80R16 LRF on 6 lug 16" wheels or 235/85R16 LRG tires which would require a hub change to 8 lug hubs to accommodate the wheels/tires. however no axle that originated with 15" hubs will have the axle tube/bearing ratings to support that kind of load....

In other words, it looks like what you're trying to do will only result in moving the "weakest link" from the tire to either the wheel or the axle. You can't get a "tire, wheel, hub, bearing, axle tube rating to support the 8000 pounds of any load range G tire on an axle that was built for 15" load range D or E tires....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
jaymillikan

I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, but I am using an "overrated" tire more for heat dissipation and longevity.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, but I am using an "overrated" tire more for heat dissipation and longevity.
Unless your trailer is 100% over GVW (in which case, tires are the very least of your concerns), that is so much "overkill" that it will likely shake your trailer frame to pieces. Any 10K GVW trailer is perfectly safe with quality 225/75R 15 LRE tires.

If you can't get wheels to support 110PSI, the most you can expect from your 80PSI rated wheels is to support the reduced weight capacity of those "expensive tires" at the lower rating which is the same weight bearing capacity as the LRE tires. As for "heat dissipation" running a heavy, thick sidewall tire at low pressure will increase the heat retention not protect the tire from overheating. You may likely find that tire temperatures are higher with heavy duty tires operated at "extremely low pressure (80PSI) for their design characteristics.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

OP I cannot find the exact specs of that trailer BUT, going to 16" wheels and LRG tires is pretty much off the charts - WAY too much.

I doubt that trailer will be over 10k gvw. You've stated you have 6 lug wheels What are the axle specs? You can put semi sized tires and wheels on something but the axle capacity then renders all that "overbuilding" useless - and wasteful plus you the kill the bearings etc.

If you have the 15" 6 lug wheels you should look at the back of them and see if they support 80psi. If so you can run 15" LRE tires without a problem. Those tires will support whatever you have (look at the placard on the side of the trailer if it's there). IMO trying to put too large wheels an tires on an undersized axle is counterproductive possibly leading to problems. Using a big, high psi rated st tire then running at much lower pressures is problematic at best; they are meant and designed to run at max psi.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, sprinter