Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #21
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
JPillivant; Just noticed in your New Member login post you had stated that you had three previous TT's. Just curious what protection unit did you use then?? Were you happy with the operation of those? Again to me this is a Ford/Chevy endless discussion. They both work pick one. I can tell you what will be a bad selection, NOT HAVING ONE , disaster waiting to happen
Hello PARAPTER,

Hope you didn’t get to much snow…this last storm!!
We really dodged the Bullet here…maybe 2 inches

Now if Ford or Chevy offered a Lifetime Warrantee…like Zippo. That could tip the scales…lol
I just hope that Progressive is a reputable Company that doesn’t go Belly Up, and will be there should I ever need them.
Time will Tell

Have a Great Day!!

K.C.
K.C. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #22
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
Hello PARAPTER,

Hope you didn’t get to much snow…this last storm!!
We really dodged the Bullet here…maybe 2 inches

Now if Ford or Chevy offered a Lifetime Warrantee…like Zippo. That could tip the scales…lol
I just hope that Progressive is a reputable Company that doesn’t go Belly Up, and will be there should I ever need them.
Time will Tell

Have a Great Day!!

K.C.
Hey Hi There !!

Thought That your Black Bear may have got you or you took my suggestion about forgetting RV door locks and invited the bear in and were on the road

You wish you had a Zippo lighter may be able to exchange for a Camper?? Yeap, I have experienced many life time warranties that I have out lived. As I have stated in previous posts there are pro and cons to both manufactures as well as styles (Portable or Hardwired). I still say pick one before you experience why they are needed .

In my case progressive does not have a solution for my criteria to protect the Raptor against shore power as well as my on board generator, Surge Guard did. I have a detailed post describing my requirements and my implementation. Search EMS.

If I did not have these unique requirements I would have also considered Progressive and would have thoroughly studied what their life time warranty encompassed.

As far as last snow, which one? Think it was yesterday in mid forties and thought great would get my spare out from under the Raptor and go get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F mounted and balanced. Looked out a while later snowing like H***L and ground covered. Not lying in the snow playing with a tire

We really want to now about the Black Bear guarding you rig.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
xrated

Quote:
Hello xrated

I was going to go with the “Permanent Mount Version” but I was worried that if I installed it I would void my Extended Warranty? Plus…With the Lifetime Guarantee it would be easier for me to send it back - should I need to.
I must say your way is no doubt the best way to go!!

Have a great day!!

K.C.
I don't see any reason why it would have voided your warranty. The worst part about installing the permanent one is where I had to contort my old body for a couple of hours while wiring it up. My transfer switch is in the one and only baggage compartment that I have on the Toy Hauler and it's definitly NOT standing room only. It's accessed from the outside (natually) and under the queen bed. By the time I got done, I thought I might have to call the fire department to help extricate me from the "box"!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Hey Hi There !!

Thought That your Black Bear may have got you or you took my suggestion about forgetting RV door locks and invited the bear in and were on the road

You wish you had a Zippo lighter may be able to exchange for a Camper?? Yeap, I have experienced many life time warranties that I have out lived. As I have stated in previous posts there are pro and cons to both manufactures as well as styles (Portable or Hardwired). I still say pick one before you experience why they are needed .

In my case progressive does not have a solution for my criteria to protect the Raptor against shore power as well as my on board generator, Surge Guard did. I have a detailed post describing my requirements and my implementation. Search EMS.

If I did not have these unique requirements I would have also considered Progressive and would have thoroughly studied what their life time warranty encompassed.

As far as last snow, which one? Think it was yesterday in mid forties and thought great would get my spare out from under the Raptor and go get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F mounted and balanced. Looked out a while later snowing like H***L and ground covered. Not lying in the snow playing with a tire

We really want to now about the Black Bear guarding you rig.
LOL. PARAPTER.

Bears got my Bees… so I bought me one of these. 45-70 Gov’t ..I hate the thought of not being at the top of the food chain!!

I don’t blame you for not wanting to “Lay in the Snow” I get cold just watching someone make a Snow Angel…lol

Keep Warm

K.C.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #25
K.C. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I don't see any reason why it would have voided your warranty. The worst part about installing the permanent one is where I had to contort my old body for a couple of hours while wiring it up. My transfer switch is in the one and only baggage compartment that I have on the Toy Hauler and it's definitly NOT standing room only. It's accessed from the outside (natually) and under the queen bed. By the time I got done, I thought I might have to call the fire department to help extricate me from the "box"!
Contort…lol
Now there’s a word that scares me!!
I thought about that word and it helped tip the scales toward the portable unit…
My Extended Warrantee is with Asset Protection …I wonder if they would see an issue on a self-install?
One thing is for sure if they would ever try to say an electrical issue on my end caused the Damage…I’ll have Progressive on my side…..I hope??

Have a Great Day…

K.C.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:37 AM   #26
xrated

Yea, it's kind of a funny word for sure, but certainly the right choice for working in such a small confined space. I thought about doing the portable one, but I guess I'm just hard-headed enough to say...."what the heck",....I'm an Electrician, I got this. Knowing how to do it (pretty simple really), and actually being able to physically do it are two entirely different things. The factory wiring certainly isn't rubber covered flexible cord (SOOW or such), the getting that out of the load side of the transfer switch and into the EMS was bit of a challenge, but being in the small space proved to be the most challenging. It's done though, and I'm more than happy with the results. I did have to crawl/contort myself back in there to run the small wire for the remote display unit, and that was a piece of cake compared to the time spent doing the EMS main wiring install. It's all working now and I tested it out by hooking up to my 50A shore power at the house.

As far as your warranty goes, I can't answer that question. I do know that working on cars/truck/motorcycles/etc., there is nothing that says that you have to take it back to a dealer to keep your warranty intact, if you do the work yourself or have someone do it for you. I've always done as much of that stuff as I feel comfortable doing, but I do always save the receipts for parts purchased etc, just in case there is an issue moving forward. Anyway, you'll feel much better knowing that your camper is protected.......

Even if you took the easy way out!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
to The Old Folks Side
We aren't old. We're used, to a degree.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #28
Desert185

Quote:
LOL. PARAPTER.

Bears got my Bees… so I bought me one of these. 45-70 Gov’t ..I hate the thought of not being at the top of the food chain!!

I don’t blame you for not wanting to “Lay in the Snow” I get cold just watching someone make a Snow Angel…lol

Keep Warm

K.C.
Oh-oh! Guns are borderline taboo on this site. Threads tend to close pretty fast when guns are mentioned. See you on www.glocktalk.com! A one-stop shop for all things firearm.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #29
goducks

Do I need a surge protector if I'm dry camping? We dry camp 80% of the time and the other is elec/water and maybe sewer. Never had an issue in 6 years.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

No need for a surge protector until you plug the shore cord in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Oh-oh! Guns are borderline taboo on this site. Threads tend to close pretty fast when guns are mentioned. See you on www.glocktalk.com! A one-stop shop for all things firearm.

It's just a picture of a nice gun.....one I might need to look into; not a discussion of the pros and cons of them. I would think it's OK unless someone took it in another direction.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Do You Plug and Pray, or, Are You Surge Protected ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's just a picture of a nice gun.....one I might need to look into; not a discussion of the pros and cons of them. I would think it's OK unless someone took it in another direction.

This site would close a thread if you posted a picture of a pop-tart in the shape of a pistol.

Forest River Forum is even worse. They must draw the libs of the camping world... LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #33
JPillivant

Right on, at least I know some RVer's are pro second amendment like me.
JPillivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #34
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPillivant View Post
Right on, at least I know some RVer's are pro second amendment like me.
That would be me.....but I ain't talkin' about it on here. Of course, I'm from E. TN, so that's pretty much a given.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

The forum topic is SURGE PROTECTORS, gentlemen. Please post "ON TOPIC" posts or refrain from posting. This is not a place to discuss guns, the second amendment or to make snide remarks about the shape of a pop tart.

Thank you all for your thoughts, but unless they conform to the forum rules and are related to the thread topic, please keep them to yourself....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #36
xrated

Sorry John.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #37
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

The forum topic is SURGE PROTECTORS, gentlemen. Please post "ON TOPIC" posts or refrain from posting. This is not a place to discuss guns, the second amendment or to make snide remarks about the shape of a pop tart.

Thank you all for your thoughts, but unless they conform to the forum rules and are related to the thread topic, please keep them to yourself....

Can I ask an honest question? Of all the threads that veer off-topic, why the instant freak-out over guns?

Yes, yes, I know this is a private forum. I get it. I really do. But why is that topic taboo while virtually everything else in the world is OK.

Seems to me our constitution should be embraced and celebrated, not censored. (Again, I know this is a private business and can do what it wants, my question is "why" ... not saying you can't.)

Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Can I ask an honest question? Of all the threads that veer off-topic, why the instant freak-out over guns?

Yes, yes, I know this is a private forum. I get it. I really do. But why is that topic taboo while virtually everything else in the world is OK.

Seems to me our constitution should be embraced and celebrated, not censored. (Again, I know this is a private business and can do what it wants, my question is "why" ... not saying you can't.)

You should understand that a good many of the mods and admin ain't from the USA. It's their sandbox, don't leave scat

Javi
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #39
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You should understand that a good many of the mods and admin ain't from the USA. It's their sandbox, don't leave scat

Javi

Yeah, I just got a "infraction" via a private message. I guess asking a question is verboten! (Even asking nicely.) LOL. Don't understand that at all.

Thanks for the insight Javi.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #40
K.C. Jones

That was Quick!

I ordered on the Friday the 17th and I received on Monday the 20th from Kent WA to N/W Pa.!!
The Unit is bigger then I thought it would be….not that it matters. (16 oz water bottle for comparison)

I must admit it does look like a serious piece of RV protection…lol
I can’t wait to test it out…”The Proof is in the Pudding”

Thanks for reading

K.C.