Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
mrasprinter

Should you have purchased a larger TT ?

Hey Guys,

Kris and I are looking at buying a Keystone Sprinter 266RBS-WB. It's 29.5 feet long with one slide.. If anyone out there has this model or close to it, are you happy with it or do you wish you would have purchased one size bigger for more room?

Thanks for any help and suggestion. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

Stay safe.

Marty
mrasprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
GaryWT

We have a 35 foot for the 2 of us as the youngest is in college. We love it and am glad we have it but would not go larger. Part of it is for the outside kitchen. We use the back bedroom as a changing room and storage and it works out great.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
thewhitehat

Larger? HAH!

Actually, I've thought about how things have changed since we went from a 25 footer to 34 feet long with more slide-outs. Camping in the smaller one, we spent more time outdoors, only going in the trailer to have meals, or sleep. Now that we have so much more room, it's hard to get my wife to come out of the trailer any more.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

With RVs and boats, which I have owned afew, been in alot more. It is easy after the purchase to think maybe I should have got one 2 more feet longer. My advice spend hours at the dealer going into several different trailers and sit in all the seats, lay down on bed, go in bathroom close door, stand at stink etc. talk about it with your wife. Ask is this enough while inside. We could have gotten about any size currently made. We are OK with what we got, maybe I will upgrade to a smaller truck now. (not really)
Had this trailer for 1 year, used it maybe 10-12 trips just 2 of us and dog. It works great. When we change up again it might be a large 5er and travel full time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
f6bits

While I'd like to have a bigger trailer, at almost 30', my current one fits in almost all campgrounds. More than 30 and you might have trouble at some state and national park campgrounds.

Plus, my current truck can easily handle 30', but not much more.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
randy69

I bought a 40 footer and wish I went smaller .. Hard to find rv parks that will take that size . It is hard on a f350 to pull up a freeway grade ..

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
cathcartww

Personally, I would go with the largest unit you think will be comfortable and are comfortable towing.

Our first trailer was 30', and the biggest we could comfortably tow with the vehicle we had at the time. For the dogs and us, it was fine, but lacked storage space, a crowded bedroom, and I had to leave the bathroom door open to sit down comfortably. I you dropped the soap in the shower, you had to turn off the water, step out, and start over.

We up graded the van, then the trailer to 35' with two slides. Huge difference. Lots of storage, a bedroom big enough to walk around and change clothes in, and a normal size bathroom with full size shower stall. Also more water and waste capacity.

The choice of campsites is a little more limited, but there still seem to be plenty to chose from the kind of places we like to go.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Andymon

When we bought ours, I thought it was huge especially the first time pulling it. We've only been out twice but everything went great. Of course we spent a lot of time on it doing things but each time it gets more comfortable. We really like the size and the layout. I don't see us moving on to something else...at least not in the next couple of years.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
rideandslidejim

Should not comment here, since this is our first TT, 26 ft. 1 slide. our decision was based how much weight i can tow very safely ( remember first timer ) with my current truck and getting some experience. I think we will be quite happy being it's just me and the wife. My only regret was i wish we had gotten a little newer unit, but we got a great deal, but having to but a lot of work into it. The up side is i'm learning a lot about TT's

Jim
rideandslidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Cgjt

We traded in a Jayco hybrid and went with the Sprinter 266rbs. I tow with a 2011 Silverado with a 5.3 liter motor. The camper tows very well. The size of the camper was a plus for us since it was about the same length as our hybrid was opened up. This allowed us to use the same sites in our regular campgrounds. For most of our camping it is only the wife and myself but we did spend a week on a beach with our daughter who used the sofa bed for sleeping. The camper has been very nice. We really like the outside kitchen and the room that the bathroom has. The camper has plenty of storage and some nice features such as the friction hinge door, outside television mounts and connections, black tank rinser, electric tongue jack and especially the outside kitchen. We have really enjoyed our first camping season with the Sprinter with 40 nights camping this year. Hope this helps.
Cgjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I think everyone has an individual preference for how big their RV "should" be based on their lifestyle, needs, affordability and a host of other criteria. What fits one person's "needs" could be either "overkill" or "not nearly enough" for someone else. The same pretty much goes for options, color, décor, features, yes, even the direction in which the cabinet doors open.....

Bigger is not always better and too small for comfort can be frustrating (for some, but not all).

There comes a time when RV's get so big that they are replications of our home. When we get to that point and decide that there's no reason to go outside the RV, then the question may well become: Why did we even leave home? For some, once we get so comfortable that we want to stay inside the RV and enjoy its comforts, I'd have to ask, wouldn't it have been more convenient to just stay inside at home? You can only drag so much "volume" behind a truck or SUV......

What did the 3 bears keep saying?

It's too hot, it's too cold, it's just right...
It's too hard, it's too soft, it's just right.....
It's too big, it's too small, it's just right.....

Maybe it all depends on which "bear" you are ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
racin07jason

We (Me,Wife,daughter, and dog) are happy with our 2011 266RBS Sprinter. Plenty of room,storage,and the large bathroom was what sold us on the deal. Tows nice and dosen't weight a ton as the larger campers do. The outside kitchen is a very nice feature as your not in and out of the camper all the time. I agree with another poster that we are there to camp and be outside most of the time.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
fred1609

We bought a cougar 5th wheel 327RES. DW chose it...its about 36 feet and change...being its a 5th wheel it doesn't feel as big as 36 feet because there's a couple of feet on the bed of the truck...The living room has two slides which gives us huge space. I love it and think its the right size for us.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
billb800si

The trend has been to longer and with more slides. Families (with children) see the need for a entertainment area separate from the adult area. Kids are much more into "electronics" and can't seem to stay away from them for very long.
Also if you live in the Northern half of the U.S. there's only so many weekends that are sunny & warm and with a larger trailer if the weather goes sour at least you'll have room to accommodate inside the RV.

In regard to us "retired" folks we see the need for extra room due to the fact we "live" in our units for months at a time. So we do like our comforts.

Whichever way you choose I can guarantee you that you'll see a "newer-brighter- fancier" unit that makes you wonder if you should upgrade.
Have fun- make memories..

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Woodsrider

We are happy with ours at 27.5' OAL. We have the four of us and a Chocolate Lab in it, but we didn't purchase it to hang out in. We spend most of the time outside. Your habits may differ, and that is what you need to decide. What fits your needs?

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
fla-gypsy

Only you can decide what is big enough. My 29 ft box is plenty for the wife and I.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Randy_K

We have just finished our first season in our 26 foot. We seldom spend time inside except to sleep. We have not even used the stove or oven yet. Moving up form a 4 man tent we find we have tons of room and still have empty cupboards and drawers. We do use a dining tent as well.

I cant see upgrading until I retire in about 15 years. I hope my TT lasts until then.

Randy

Watkins Glen State Park NY

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I bought a 40 footer and wish I went smaller .. Hard to find rv parks that will take that size . It is hard on a f350 to pull up a freeway grade ..
Randy, I am in your area and thinking about purchasing a new 40ft toyhauler. BUT, I'm very hesitant because I can't find anywhere to camp in Southern California with an RV that size. Where do you go? How about camping with bodies of water nearby, I don't know of any except Lake Elsinore in the entire Southern California that would accept a trailer that size. Is RV'ing a joke in Southern California?
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
placergoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Randy, I am in your area and thinking about purchasing a new 40ft toyhauler. BUT, I'm very hesitant because I can't find anywhere to camp in Southern California with an RV that size. Where do you go? How about camping with bodies of water nearby, I don't know of any except Lake Elsinore in the entire Southern California that would accept a trailer that size. Is RV'ing a joke in Southern California?

Josiah,
Have you tried Lake Skinner? Go on line and check the camp sites in camp ground 3.I have a Cougar 27rl tt and most of the sites in that camp ground 3 are for over size rigs..

Tim
placergoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
oldcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathcartww View Post
We up graded the van, then the trailer to 35' with two slides. Huge difference. Lots of storage, a bedroom big enough to walk around and change clothes in, and a normal size bathroom with full size shower stall.
Those are the exact reasons we got a larger trailer, just for the 2 of us. The lay out of the Outback 300rb is ideal as described above and also has the outside kitchen. We still spend most of our time outside but are much more comfortable when inside.

And hello to all, I believe this may be my first post.

Oldcow

oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote