Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
clewis

Charging battery with tow vehicle

Can anyone point me in the right direction about charging a battery while driving. I read some articles a couple months back but can't find them now. I thought my truck is doing the charge while connected to the truck but I would like to confirm as I am dry camping next weekend.

I have a 2014 hideout and a 2013 f150 with factory tow package. I recall reading some dealerships don't install something. Any related info would be appreciated. Thanks.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
SGardiner

Your F-150 should have come with a relay and fuse to power the connection, which charges your battery while the trailer is connected and the engine is on. I found them in a small bag in the glove box. My dealer installed no charge during regular service. However, I am sure it is not difficult and you could perform the task yourself if you have the parts.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
clewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGardiner View Post
Your F-150 should have come with a relay and fuse to power the connection, which charges your battery while the trailer is connected and the engine is on. I found them in a small bag in the glove box. My dealer installed no charge during regular service. However, I am sure it is not difficult and you could perform the task yourself if you have the parts.
I think there is a bag with a fuse in my glove box, must be what I need to install.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Schmackpappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis View Post
I think there is a bag with a fuse in my glove box, must be what I need to install.
I just bought an F-150 this year and had no idea these weren't installed until I saw a post on another forum. Just open the fuse box and install the fuse and relay.
Schmackpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
audio1der

This is the reason I now keep jumper cables in the trailer.
Last fall my FIL (who works his vehicles HARD with minimal maintenance) couldn't get his slide in, even with his truck hooked up.
Being all ready to leave, we both had to unhook and I used our truck to power his trailer to get the slide in. What a headache.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
Shifty

Battery

I have a Keystone Fuzion Toy Hauler FZ260 and does charge the battery when hooked to my Ford F150. It will also charge once connected to a shore power supply.

If not you might want to check for a blown fuse.

Good luck ...

Shifty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
camper 2010

My Chevy 2500 came with the tow package but would not charge my TT. The truck did not come with a fuse in the slot for power to the TT. How much would a fuse cost General Motors? Much less than my headache hunting down the problem.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
My Chevy 2500 came with the tow package but would not charge my TT. The truck did not come with a fuse in the slot for power to the TT. How much would a fuse cost General Motors? Much less than my headache hunting down the problem.
And some years the charge line isn't connected either.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
clewis

Just reporting back, there were a relay and fuse in the glove box, all set to go.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Dawt10characters
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote