Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2023, 07:49 AM   #1
Stangfire

Honda EU3200i? Generator selection.

Hi,

I have a 2013 Hideout 31BHS. It is setup permanently off grid with no power. I use solar and batteries for everything except AC and microwave.

I need a generator for AC and back up. I only run the AC from Lunch time till about 9pm.

I bought a Westinghouse igen 4500c brand new and it didn't work out of the box. After 90 days of fighting with Westinghouse I have realized they have zero customer support and their generators are not reliable. I will sell it.

You get what you pay for so I've decided I want a Honda. I am currently borrowing a Honda EU3000is. It powers my AC and microwave at the same time no problem. It's a well built high quality generator that would last me 20 years. My only complaint is it's big and heavy to move around with no wheels. I have to take it in and out of a shed each weekend. I would probably get a dolly with wheels or something to move it around on the grass.

I called my local Honda dealer for a quote and they told me about Honda’s new compact EU3200i. It is half the weight and fuel injected. Says it will power a 13,500 BTU AC unit. Does anyone have reviews of this unit? How do I know what BTU my AC unit is?

I don’t want to waste my time with throw away Chinese generators. I want it to start and work everytime.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...models/eu3200i
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:57 AM   #2
RJS3791RD

I have had one of the Honda EU3200i for the past year. I have just under 700 hours on the clock as of today. My 5’er has the Solar Flex 200 system, 4 deep cycle marine batteries and the Honda generator. We do about 10 nascar races each year and this setup works great for me when we are spending 5 or 6 days boondocking at the race tracks. I use the generator typically only when we want to run the a/c (rear unit only) and that a/c is a 15k btu. On average, we run the a/c no more than 5 hours in a day and not always 5 continuous hours. It allows us to keep the 5’er comfortable and tops off the batteries as needed.

I had an Onan 5500 in my Class A that was hooked into the coach gas tank. It ran my entire unit (both a/c’s). I liked that unit but didn’t want to add a separate fuel system to my 5’er. AND I didn’t want an LP o a unit.

With the Honda, I keep that tank full and carry a 5 gallon can. I usually make my gas trip during the race weekend to refill the can.

Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with the Honda.
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
I have had one of the Honda EU3200i for the past year. I have just under 700 hours on the clock as of today. My 5’er has the Solar Flex 200 system, 4 deep cycle marine batteries and the Honda generator. We do about 10 nascar races each year and this setup works great for me when we are spending 5 or 6 days boondocking at the race tracks. I use the generator typically only when we want to run the a/c (rear unit only) and that a/c is a 15k btu. On average, we run the a/c no more than 5 hours in a day and not always 5 continuous hours. It allows us to keep the 5’er comfortable and tops off the batteries as needed.

I had an Onan 5500 in my Class A that was hooked into the coach gas tank. It ran my entire unit (both a/c’s). I liked that unit but didn’t want to add a separate fuel system to my 5’er. AND I didn’t want an LP o a unit.

With the Honda, I keep that tank full and carry a 5 gallon can. I usually make my gas trip during the race weekend to refill the can.

Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with the Honda.
Thanks! Excellent real world review. I would use it in a very similar manner. The compact size and weight compared to the EU3000IS that everyone has is a huge feature to me. The 3000 is not fun to move around especially by yourself.

Fuel injection would also be nice.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:53 AM   #4
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
How do I know what BTU my AC unit is?
According to the 2013 Hideout brochure, your TT has a 13,500 btu AC.
https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...n-brochure.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
I don’t want to waste my time with throw away Chinese generators. I want it to start and work everytime.
You may want to read more reviews of this genny. Over 30% of the reviews on Honda's own webpage complain that it either didn't/wouldn't start right out of the box or that it stopped working (wouldn't start) after just a few weeks of use.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #5
TXiceman

I have a pair of 12-year-old Honda EU2000i generators that are doing great. It is well worth the money to get a good generator with a solid dealer network. Most of the Chinese inverter generators are great until they break, and you need parts or service.

I figure that I paid almost $2000 for the pair with the parallel cable. over 12 trouble free years with minimal maintenance, which works out to $167 per year or less than $14 per month of ownership.

I only use full synthetic oil and premium fuel and keep Seafoam in the gas.

Ken
Old 07-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have a pair of 12-year-old Honda EU2000i generators that are doing great. It is well worth the money to get a good generator with a solid dealer network. Most of the Chinese inverter generators are great until they break, and you need parts or service.

I figure that I paid almost $2000 for the pair with the parallel cable. over 12 trouble free years with minimal maintenance, which works out to $167 per year or less than $14 per month of ownership.

I only use full synthetic oil and premium fuel and keep Seafoam in the gas.

Ken
Not to diminish your experience with your $2000 Honda setup, as I'm sure you're well satisfied with what you have and the performance it has provided you.

To compare, I bought a pair of Champion 2000 watt generators 10 years ago. I paid $379 each ($758 for the pair) and I added the parallel kit and 2 storage covers for another $100. All told, that's $858 for the entire setup.

I've run them both individually and as a pair when needed with no issues of not starting or not performing correctly. Right now, one has 925 hours and the other has 900 hours on it. They've never failed to start, never failed to provide the needed power for our Cougar.

I also use synthetic oil at every oil change, only alcohol free gas (rec gas in Michigan) and by my quick calculations, I've got 10 years of troublefree service at less than half your cost and I still have that extra $1000 left over to buy a replacement pair of generators if these do happen to give up in the next couple of years......

I'm not suggesting that Honda generators are not worth what you paid for yours. What I'm suggesting is that based on my personal experience, they aren't the "only game in town".... Don't think that Champion generators are "throw-away junk". That's simply not the facts. And, Champion has a strong parts availability. Anything needed to maintain or repair them is available, just not at the local NAPA. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
Matty Rich

I have a Generac 3000 that has been really good for me. I’ve ran it for probably 80hr straight with no issues. I would guess it has well over 1k he’s on it.

Here is a link. I got mine from Home Depot.

Generac GP3300i 7154 3,300-Watt Gas-Powered Portable Inverter Generator - CARB Compliant - Advanced PowerRush Technology - RV Essentials - Quiet and Compact Solution - Duplex Outlets - USB Ports https://a.co/d/aFACni0
Old 07-26-2023, 03:10 AM   #8
JBM3M

I have a 3000is that I bought in 2003. Still starts right away. Have had to replace the battery 2 times. Have put on a remote start stop. It will indeed run one of my 5er AC units but not both on my current unit. One AC unit is not enough for me, my health issues require I need lots of cool. So I bought a Predator 9500 which is surprisingly quiet, but I digress.

It would not be difficult to put wheels on the 3000. I know nothing about the 3200. I really don't see you doing wrong getting a Honda.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:49 AM   #9
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not to diminish your experience with your $2000 Honda setup, as I'm sure you're well satisfied with what you have and the performance it has provided you.

To compare, I bought a pair of Champion 2000 watt generators 10 years ago. I paid $379 each ($758 for the pair) and I added the parallel kit and 2 storage covers for another $100. All told, that's $858 for the entire setup.

I've run them both individually and as a pair when needed with no issues of not starting or not performing correctly. Right now, one has 925 hours and the other has 900 hours on it. They've never failed to start, never failed to provide the needed power for our Cougar.

I also use synthetic oil at every oil change, only alcohol free gas (rec gas in Michigan) and by my quick calculations, I've got 10 years of troublefree service at less than half your cost and I still have that extra $1000 left over to buy a replacement pair of generators if these do happen to give up in the next couple of years......

I'm not suggesting that Honda generators are not worth what you paid for yours. What I'm suggesting is that based on my personal experience, they aren't the "only game in town".... Don't think that Champion generators are "throw-away junk". That's simply not the facts. And, Champion has a strong parts availability. Anything needed to maintain or repair them is available, just not at the local NAPA. YMMV
I understand what your saying. I had the exact same thoughts buying a brand new Westinghouse igen4500. I figured if it only lasted me 10 years I could buy a second one and still be ahead over buying a Honda. However, the Westinghouse did not last 10 years. It didn't work right out of the box. 90 days later I'm still trying to get customer service. Now I'm sour over the experience I don't even want to consider a "throw away" generator.

I have been told that Champion has really good customer service. The Westinghouse igen4500 is a really nice unit but I would never recommend it based on the terrible customer service I received.

I'm at the point I'd rather pay up front and have something that will work every time for 20 years. If it doesn't work I at least have a brick and mortar store to knock on.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:50 AM   #10
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
I have a 3000is that I bought in 2003. Still starts right away. Have had to replace the battery 2 times. Have put on a remote start stop. It will indeed run one of my 5er AC units but not both on my current unit. One AC unit is not enough for me, my health issues require I need lots of cool. So I bought a Predator 9500 which is surprisingly quiet, but I digress.

It would not be difficult to put wheels on the 3000. I know nothing about the 3200. I really don't see you doing wrong getting a Honda.
The 3000IS is a really nice unit. Just big and heavy to move around. I would get wheels for sure if I had one.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:27 AM   #11
Campermike

I have a champion 2800w(3100 peak wattage) generator that I got this winter as a refurbished unit. It seems to work well and I was impressed by the champion website support. Somehow the carb got clogged a month after purchase. not sure if they didn't clean it or my gas can had junk in it. Champion had awesome videos online that showed step by step how to remove and clean the carb. It has run flawlessly since I fixed that issue. It easily powers our 13.5k ac unit.

Tags
generator