Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2023, 09:04 AM   #21
Stangfire

This weekend I tried my AC with generator. I switched the fridge to LP only, did NOT turn off the converter breaker and turned off ECO mode on the generator.

The AC fired up first try. So it was an improvement for sure from the last time when I had the Fridge on AUTO and generator ECO mode turned on. Turning off the converter would have helped even more.

Once the AC was up and running I turned ECO Mode back on.

A soft start is still on my list of things to do and will install one for next season.

I will say I sure like this new Honda 3200i. It's so nice and compact to move around myself. Starts first pull every time with the fuel injection.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:28 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich195 View Post
I installed a micro easy start soft starter. Before insatall I checked the total draw at my plug so I new exactly how much power each thing used and how much I needed to drop for mi genny When the Ac would start with all 110 loads turned on it was kissing 35 amps then total load dropped to 14 after AC started. The 35amps Only lasts a few milli seconds but that will trip a small generator. I have a Yamaha i2000

I’m sure there are cheaper units and knock offs but I I installed this soft start inside the lid of the AC unit. The company websit has a lot of information and actual data for specific brands of Ac units to show the reduced start load. Essentially the system allows the compressor and fan to start separate. Since they are both high inrush induction loads once one starts the load drops and then other starts. There is no noticeable delay in this as it’s only milliseconds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08VF...b_b_asin_title
After I installed the

My start up load now is just over 18amps and my i2000 has no problems running it all. And I can run on lower power shore power if needed.

It’s important that you confirm what your true start up load is so you know how much you need to reduce. Same if using solar, you need to k ow the facts before you start buying panels or inverters.

I really don’t understand why they don’t use soft starts in these AC from the manufacturer, it’s standard in home equipment such as refrigerators and washers for energy conservation and sound. I guess it’s another few bucks and they may lose the contract.

Good luck.
I am not an A/C guy but I had to install a "start capacitor" on my home A/C outdoor unit otherwise starting was hit or miss. As to why these things are not installed on an RV, a Micro-Air Easystart is north of $300. Same reason lots of other nice to have things are not standard... cost.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am not an A/C guy but I had to install a "start capacitor" on my home A/C outdoor unit otherwise starting was hit or miss. As to why these things are not installed on an RV, a Micro-Air Easystart is north of $300. Same reason lots of other nice to have things are not standard... cost.

Yep, to question why a $300 "easy start option" is not included as standard equipment on a trailer that doesn't include a 10 cent plastic toilet paper holder should be an "easily recognized understatement in cost cutting in the RV industry"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #24
4kids2dogs&RV

I'd rather install it myself to know its done right, than to have to go back and fix it.
I went with the Softstart Rv because the Micro Air requires several (5, I think it was) starts/stops to get it to learn your system. Which means several up and downs from the the roof. Took me less than an hour to install 2 softstarts units.
Softstart will even setup a one on one call with you to do the install if you feel the need.
I can run both A/C units on my Westinghouse igen4500df generator.

https://technorv.com/products/softstart-rv
They also offer military discounts
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #25
NH_Bulldog

Not sure why you need to get on the roof to turn your AC on and off as part of the learning process? I got on the roof, installed the unit, closed everything up, got off the roof and did the rest from my very simple wall thermostat.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:23 PM   #26
4kids2dogs&RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Not sure why you need to get on the roof to turn your AC on and off as part of the learning process? I got on the roof, installed the unit, closed everything up, got off the roof and did the rest from my very simple wall thermostat.
Go to the 26 minute mark... part of their installation instructions https://youtu.be/soP0uZFd0nQ?si=_iAkteFBOdLIljyJ
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #27
NH_Bulldog

All they were trying to do was show the change in amperage draw using the clamp-on meter. It isn’t part of the installation process.

It doesn’t matter at this point, but all you do is install the device, wrap everything up and go inside and cycle the AC a few times to learn your unit, and it’s done. No need to go up and down from the roof 5 times.

Either way, it’s like a GM vs. Ford vs. Ram debate. They all do the same thing.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:06 PM   #28
MaxBottomTime

I went with the briidea soft start. After purchase I realized the wiring diagrams were just yanked from the micro aire website.
https://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-B...dp/B0BZXSJ1Q4/

I never really had issues but figured it wouldn't hurt. It seems a lot of new brands for these have popped up in the last few months (Spartan power wasn't a thing 3 months ago, at least not listed on amazon).

One note OP, your compressor will cycle on and off as the AC runs. switching to ECO after the initial turn-on but leaving it off when initially starting doesn't really do anything. It is constantly turning on/off.
MaxBottomTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:51 AM   #29
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBottomTime View Post
I went with the briidea soft start. After purchase I realized the wiring diagrams were just yanked from the micro aire website.
https://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-B...dp/B0BZXSJ1Q4/

I never really had issues but figured it wouldn't hurt. It seems a lot of new brands for these have popped up in the last few months (Spartan power wasn't a thing 3 months ago, at least not listed on amazon).

One note OP, your compressor will cycle on and off as the AC runs. switching to ECO after the initial turn-on but leaving it off when initially starting doesn't really do anything. It is constantly turning on/off.
Noted. Never thought of that. I was thinking it was only the initial start up that had a large draw.

Even with multiple options for a "soft start" they all seem to be about the same price at $399 in Canada. Not the cheapest upgrade but I will do it for next season.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:57 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
Noted. Never thought of that. I was thinking it was only the initial start up that had a large draw.

Even with multiple options for a "soft start" they all seem to be about the same price at $399 in Canada. Not the cheapest upgrade but I will do it for next season.
Along with the continuous "start/stop" of the air conditioner compressor, remember that your generator will be "working at max capacity" or very close to that, for much of the time the air conditioner is being used. So, to protect your generator from "melting the alternator windings" (and making it a huge boat anchor), ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the generator from the trailer (or other device it is powering) and let it run for about 4 or 5 minutes with NO POWER OUTPUT so the alternator windings can cool down while still turning. That way, you won't have a "hot alternator winding" laying in one spot, melting the insulation from the copper wire....

Don't just think about protecting the air conditioner from voltage issues, also think about protecting the generator as it is the "other side of that power production/use cycle".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:22 AM   #31
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Along with the continuous "start/stop" of the air conditioner compressor, remember that your generator will be "working at max capacity" or very close to that, for much of the time the air conditioner is being used. So, to protect your generator from "melting the alternator windings" (and making it a huge boat anchor), ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the generator from the trailer (or other device it is powering) and let it run for about 4 or 5 minutes with NO POWER OUTPUT so the alternator windings can cool down while still turning. That way, you won't have a "hot alternator winding" laying in one spot, melting the insulation from the copper wire....

Don't just think about protecting the air conditioner from voltage issues, also think about protecting the generator as it is the "other side of that power production/use cycle".....
Noted and Interesting. All new to me. This is my power consumption with the AC up and running, converter and at that time the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda 3200 Generator.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	45004  
Old 08-30-2023, 06:39 PM   #32
Cheesehead4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBottomTime View Post
Funny you say that. I bought the Spartan Power and I downloaded the MicroAir manual to help install it. Many online reviews that I had seen complained about the install instructions on the Spartan. To me the cost savings was worth it.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator