Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2023, 03:59 AM   #1
patrick3729

Generator

I have a generator that has a 30a plug which I use a converter plug to attach to my 50a plug to the RV. My generator does not have an inverter but the RV has one that is used in conjunction with the solar. Is it ok to use this generator it runs a 3500 watts full power? I know it won’t power booth ac units but will it be safe for my RV? And also if I use a power surge protector is that safe as well? Thanks
patrick3729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:26 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

The inverter in generator terms is how power is produced and delivered. You have two types of portable generators; Inverter (small, quiet, light weight and provides “clean” power) and Open Frame (larger, heavier, loud, and producing a less regulated power output that isn’t too friendly to electronics). The solar inverter is totally separate and has nothing to do with the generator.

If you are going to use an open frame generator I would definitely be using an EMS (Not a surge protector).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:30 AM   #3
patrick3729

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The inverter in generator terms is how power is produced and delivered. You have two types of portable generators; Inverter (small, quiet, light weight and provides “clean” power) and Open Frame (larger, heavier, loud, and producing a less regulated power output that isn’t too friendly to electronics). The solar inverter is totally separate and has nothing to do with the generator.

If you are going to use an open frame generator I would definitely be using an EMS (Not a surge protector).
What is a EMS?
Old 08-28-2023, 06:00 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

EMS is Electrical Management System. One of these units can cost upwards of $200 or more compared to a simple surge protector which run about $50.

A surge protector simply helps prevent a power surge. An EMS will protect from surge, voltage drop, incorrect power source wiring, out of phase wiring, open ground, reverse polarity, etc.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:15 AM   #5
patrick3729

Quote:
EMS is Electrical Management System. One of these units can cost upwards of $200 or more compared to a simple surge protector which run about $50.

A surge protector simply helps prevent a power surge. An EMS will protect from surge, voltage drop, incorrect power source wiring, out of phase wiring, open ground, reverse polarity, etc.
Thanks for the reply I have never gone off grid for camping so I am trying to learn this. Thanks again
Old 08-28-2023, 06:22 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

An inverter generator is preferred for many reasons; they are very quiet, they are lightweight, and they produce a smoother and cleaner power.

Generators create AC current. A standard generator sends that AC current directly to the receptacles on the generator panel and then to whatever is plugged in. It is subject to wide fluctuations in output power which can damage electronics and electrical items in the camper.

An inverter generator sends the AC power it produces to a DC converter and then to an inverter to change it back to AC output. This process smooths and conditions the power making it safe for sensitive electronics.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:48 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
An inverter generator is preferred for many reasons; they are very quiet, they are lightweight, and they produce a smoother and cleaner power.

Generators create AC current. A standard generator sends that AC current directly to the receptacles on the generator panel and then to whatever is plugged in. It is subject to wide fluctuations in output power which can damage electronics and electrical items in the camper.

An inverter generator sends the AC power it produces to a DC converter and then to an inverter to change it back to AC output. This process smooths and conditions the power making it safe for sensitive electronics.
Small and quiet are not necessarily the case in all inverter generators. We have a WEN: WEN GN625i 6250-Watt RV and Transfer-Switch-Ready 120V/240V Open Frame Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant... https://wenproducts.com/products/wen...carb-compliant

We use this generator via transfer switch during power outages to our home. Do not have the well, stove, furnace/a/c or microwave on the transfer switch. I do have wall A/C units that are on the transfer switch. I would not consider this generator as a candidate for RV use unless at a fixed site because while WEN claims it is 30 percent less heavy than comparable conventional units I could never pick it up by myself and would have to have a way to pull it up a ramp into my truck bed. Being open frame, it isn't really all that quiet either. It is an inverter generator and WEN sells an even larger inverter generator.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
dutchmensport

For the OP:

Your set-up is perfectly fine: 30 amp generator plugged into a 30-50 amp adapter, plugged into your 50 amp camper.

I do not think you'll be able to use an EMS (Electric Management System) while using your generator because the generator is NOT grounded. The EMS will throw an error and not allow the power to pass through. A good EMS will shut down the output electricity for any type of error that happens.

There are some work arounds you need to do to the generator to fake a ground. But you need to know what you are doing in order to do that.

Plugging into your generator should return the exact same results as plugging into shore power.

As stated above, a "generator" will not have any type of electrical management. So, the appliances in your camper will be subject to power fluxes as your generator runs and the power demand changes.

With an inverter generator, the generator runs in proportion to the power demand, keeping a steady output of power. With an inverter generator, there is no need for an EMS, the generator IS the EMS.

Now, when plugged into a generator (or an inverter generator), everything functions in your camp the same as if you are plugged into shore power, if that be 30 amp shore power or 50 amp shore power.

If you have an "inverter" in your camper, it's most likely to run a residential refrigerator .... WHEN shore power is disconnected (or no generator connected). Meanwhile, the transfer switch for the refrigerator's "inverter" will know if power is coming from shore power / generator, or if there is no shore power and will switch over to the battery to supply power to the "inverter" which will then "invert" battery back to AC 120 volt for the refrigerator.

The transfer switch for your "inverter" will direct the power, depending upon the source origination.

If you have Solar panels, there is also a transfer switch that drives the switch over for the batteries to be charged from shore power or from the solar panels.

So, plugging your camper into a generator is identical to plugging into shore power. The transfer switches do all the work.

I do strongly suggest you invest in an Inverter Generator. Westinghouse and Cummins Onan P450i are probably the best. Not the lest expensive, but the best. If you get 2 of them, you can run them in parallel and have 50 amp service and run absolutely everything in your camper, all at the same time.

I've been doing this for some time now:

Tags
generator