Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
creyer

Alpine 3712kb and generator

We have an Alpine 3712KB. When we hook it up to an inverter generator the ac and several outlets do not work. We have even tried paralleling 2 champion 4500 inverters with the 50 amp parallel kit and still no AC or power to several outlets

Wondering if there is a switch hidden somewhere that we have to flip or if there is something wrong in the wiring of our 5th wheel

Thank you
creyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Does everything work when plugged into shore power, NOT the genset(s)? Are you using any kind of EMS?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:36 PM   #3
bobbecky

Your adapter that reduces the plug on your shore cable so it can plug into the generator may be bad. Sounds like you are only supplying power to one leg of the panel.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #4
creyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Does everything work when plugged into shore power, NOT the genset(s)? Are you using any kind of EMS?
Everything works on shore power and also works when dogboned down to 30 amp on shore power. No EMS being used.

Our rig is pre-wired for a generator and is set so you can turn it in with the in-command. We opted to go with portable generators instead of installing one.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
creyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Your adapter that reduces the plug on your shore cable so it can plug into the generator may be bad. Sounds like you are only supplying power to one leg of the panel.
No reducer being used. Using 2 4500 watt champion inverters paralleled The parallel has a 50 amp plug.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creyer View Post
Everything works on shore power and also works when dogboned down to 30 amp on shore power. No EMS being used.

Our rig is pre-wired for a generator and is set so you can turn it in with the in-command. We opted to go with portable generators instead of installing one.
It sounds like your issue may be a "built in transfer switch" rather than a "generator power issue. If shore power works, as a "work around until you get it checked out" just plug the generators into the trailer using the shore power cord and "eliminate the In-Command/generator wiring" in the front of your trailer.

My money would be on a bad or miswired (if the system has never worked) transfer switch in the "prewired generator option" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #7
ChuckS

Transfer switch should not be in play since you are using shore power cable and supplying 120 vac to the Alpine from the gensets..

I would check the output from genset plug adapter going to your shore power cord.

Your Alpine most likely is using a shore power cord that is hard wired on one end from the cord reel and male plug on the other end..

Use a multimeter and check the output of ONE generator with the adapter plug to see if you have 120 power

Your issue is either the adapter or of using an EMS inline with those gensets remove the EMS and try again

Personally when I run my two Honda 2000 u it’s 8 do not use my EMS..

** since unit works fine on shore power the transfer switch isn’t the issue.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:40 AM   #8
NJ High Country

https://www.microair.net/products/ge...r-bonding-plug
I made one of these to make my system work.
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:16 AM   #9
creyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Transfer switch should not be in play since you are using shore power cable and supplying 120 vac to the Alpine from the gensets..

I would check the output from genset plug adapter going to your shore power cord.

Your Alpine most likely is using a shore power cord that is hard wired on one end from the cord reel and male plug on the other end..

Use a multimeter and check the output of ONE generator with the adapter plug to see if you have 120 power

Your issue is either the adapter or of using an EMS inline with those gensets remove the EMS and try again

Personally when I run my two Honda 2000 u it’s 8 do not use my EMS..

** since unit works fine on shore power the transfer switch isn’t the issue.

I am not using an EMS. It is something with our rig as our son’s travel trailer works fine in them. Rig is plugged directly into the gens using the 50 amp parallel unit
Old 07-12-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creyer View Post
I am not using an EMS. It is something with our rig as our son’s travel trailer works fine in them. Rig is plugged directly into the gens using the 50 amp parallel unit
What happens inside your rig with those outlets when you use ONE generator and plug your shore power cord into that ONE generator using a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter plug ???

In theory, if your rig works on 30 amp shore power using an adapter plug, it should work on a 30 amp generator using that same adapter plug. That would, IMO, narrow the problem to the parallel connector unit on the generators.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
creyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What happens inside your rig with those outlets when you use ONE generator and plug your shore power cord into that ONE generator using a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter plug ???

In theory, if your rig works on 30 amp shore power using an adapter plug, it should work on a 30 amp generator using that same adapter plug. That would, IMO, narrow the problem to the parallel connector unit on the generators.
It doesn’t work on one gen with an adapter either. That is why I bought another gem and paralleled them together

The gens work with our son’s travel trailer so it is something with our rig
Old 07-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #12
bobbecky

I would be borrowing a shore cord to see if it may be bad. Those molded plugs will hide a bad connection. We were in Washington some years ago, plugged in to the pedestal and the EMS would not power up the rig. I tried using a 30 amp adapter and still nothing. Even had the park's electrician tear apart the pedestal. While we were trying to figure out the problem, I removed the 30 amp adapter from the 50 amp shore cable plug, and the ground pin of the plug stayed in the 30 amp adapter. I was fortunate to find a new 50 amp plug nearby and installed it and have been good since.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:08 PM   #13
ChuckS

A multimeter used during your troubleshooting will greatly aid your efforts..

.. you know the gensets are good
.. your Alpine works fine from shore power plugged into 50 amp outlet

Your shore cable is most likely HARD WIRED ON the Alpine side.. unlike mine that uses a plug in receptacle.

You can’t just swap in another’s shore power cord easily

I would be looking at the adapters you are using to connect genset output to your factory shore power male plug end.

It is also a very easy and quick test to verify your hardwired shore cable male plug end into the power center panel AC BUS bars

If you you have some basic skill sets and a multimeter then disconnect shore power cable

Drag the male end plug into the RV to your power center panel

Remove panel cover

Set meter to ohms X1 scale

Now measure from each Main breaker feed line coming into the two main 50 amp breakers to the plug ends

Looking for less than 1 ohm reading on Red wire and black wire (L1 and L2) 50 amp feed lines

Repeat same process for large white wire on the BUS bar (neutral) and then ground wire

If all four connections from power center to each respective plug end read less than 1 oh, the shore power cord l male end and hard wired ends are good

This also is checking the slip rings on that fancy cord rewind wheel

My poorly made video shows you how to perform this trst to verify your shore power cord from the male end plug clear to the main BUS bars and circuit breakers on your power center panel

https://youtu.be/9XtRxHNejXs

use caution when working around energized circuits .. in this case you have the male 50 amp plug pulled inside the RV to do the above test so you know the 120 side of the power center is safe..

The 12 vdc side of the power center is still powered up so turn off the battery cutoff switch if needed

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:50 AM   #14
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
https://www.microair.net/products/ge...r-bonding-plug
I made one of these to make my system work.
You can easily make your own bonding plug by going to the hardware store and buying a standard 15 amp replacement plug and use a piece of wire to bond the neutral to the ground.

Easy and much cheaper.

Ken
Old 07-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can easily make your own bonding plug by going to the hardware store and buying a standard 15 amp replacement plug and use a piece of wire to bond the neutral to the ground.

Easy and much cheaper.

Ken
Or, if you get confused when looking at the plug from the front or from the rear and "just happen to connect the hot lead to the ground" you can either burn up your generator or risk electrocuting yourself....

So, if you KNOW what you're doing, the above might be a way to save a buck... If you're a novice electrician with "more knowledge than experience" you might just be better off spending the $9.95 for a bonding plug https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Inve...1zcF9hdGY&th=1 than spending $8.95 for a "replacement plug" at ACE hardware and risking a miswired plug.... YMMV...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
alpine, generator