Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
MarvnMabel

Dust permeation! Cougar 25RES

After owning 2 used fivers, we finally decided to buy our first brand new outfit. We went with the Cougar Half-Ton 25RES. Mostly for the OTG Solar and 60 gallons fresh water as we are always boondocking. Our favorite and regular spot is a remote mountain lake, 17 miles in. The dust that permeates this model is outrageous! We don't even want the camper anymore. Anyone else?
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Welcome to the forums!

Hi. When you say dust is getting in, is it while driving, when going in and out or what? A few details might help.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've had dust/debris in every new trailer I've purchased. There is no one sweeping/vacuuming these units as they progress down the line cutting out holes. You can clean it up as it drifts out or just go full bore and remove everything and start cleaning. I just let the light fixtures fill up with sawdust, remove and empty them, vaccum/sweep as it comes out. Be sure and get in the underbelly. Found me a nice piece of stained luan, about 2x3, just thrown in there along with a stack of shop rags. A veritable gold mine..... Just take it all in stride and buy that RV specific shop vac, compact vacuum and any other cleaning device you may fancy and tuck them away inside.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
MarvnMabel

It is coming in through the outer skirt to floorboard areas. Mostly in the outdoor kitchen, fresh water/elec connection cavity, fridge/furnace cavity. It is in every drawer, cabinet, or cavity that is on an outside wall. We spend 45 minutes everytime we show up just cleaning now. It is even in our oven. Our prveious units were 2008 Forest River and 1998 KZ. Neither of these had any dust issues. We are devastated.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
MarvnMabel

Sad that you have to live with that. My 2008 Forest River Sandpiper, nor my 1998 KZ Sportsmen had these issues. A quick 20 minute cleanup after a weekend is all that was needed. Now, most of Sunday night, Mondays even. They should be better than this.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
MarvnMabel

Road dust. It is horrible. Never had it like this with my previous fivers. Don't even want it anymore. Devastated
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
LewisB

To be frank, when you say "1/2 ton tow-able" you are saying "as light weight with as few cheap materials as we can make it". No, you shouldn't have to live with it, but it sort of goes with the territory.

You should be able to make some major improvements with just a little work. Get some expanding foam in a spray can and seal every crease, crevice, hole, access point, wire, pipe opening you can find in the bottom. Use some 4" Darco tape (https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Flex-P...ag=googhydr-20) or equivalent to seal between the floor and frame members and sidewalls.

Hopelullly, with a little work in the driveway at the house you can get the rig to the point where you can live with it.

Best of luck!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
MarvnMabel

Yes, I'm afraid you are correct, but I am calling them out on it. Out of pure frustration I have attacked some of it myself - to a 100% solution rate, but I shouldn't have to. Keystone keeps asking me to take it to the dealer for remediation. Sure, it's 90 miles away, and we bought it to use it, not have it sit at the dealer every week while they fix issues that should be addressed on the line. They'll have it in a few weeks - with a laundry list of do's.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
travelin texans

It sounds like what you'd really like to do is get rid of it for something else, so do it!
The saying "you get what you pay for" is glaringly true in the RV industry.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
MarvnMabel

Yes, we are pretty devastated. We USE our campers, they aren't driveway queens. Were excited to have a brand new unit. Not any more. Want my '08 Sandpiper back. But this was a sizable investment for us, just can't cover a loss selling it. IN the end I will tear into it and make all my own remediations I'm sure.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
LewisB

You know that Keystone does not monitor this forum, correct?

So, think back to all the things you really liked about the floor plan - all the cool features you wanted - all the brand new (not used by anyone else) stuff that you were so excited about on day 1! Now, look each other in the eye and confirm that NONE of that has changed - it's all still there! Yes, the new rig has some drawbacks and didn't live up to your expectations - but it still has all the things you were initially excited about!

Don't let Keystone and their poor craftsmanship steal your joy! Recognize NO rig will be perfect, so find some joy in making this rig your own - making it just right! Then move on, head up to the lake, have a cold drink, stretch out in the lawn chairs and enjoy the stars, and get on with life!

We bought a new rig in 2019 and I'm still trying to make it "just right" - I figure it will be two more years. So, the joy is in the journey as well as in reaching the destination. Just sayin'...

2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
MarvnMabel

Like your attitude my friend! Fact is I wouldn't even buy this until after we met with a Cougar rep at a show. I'm holding them to the fire for things I want fixed, but yes, I do know how to remedy. I have completely torn down and restored a camper, and I would say anyone would have been hard-pressed to know it wasn't original. Onward and upward. Oh, as note, I have access to some terrific aerospace grade materials and sealants for repairs as well.

Tags
cougar