Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Annerob

5500 Onan error code 58

Is anyone else having this problem with their generator? Bought it new last year 2020 Fuzion 373 can’t even use my generator. It’s under warranty but 4-6 weeks wait to get it the shop to diagnose and 4-6 weeks for repair . We are from canada so not much time to use our rig and don’t want it sitting in the shop all summer.
Annerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #2
notanlines

This will give you a place to start:
https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...t%20build%20up.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Check the oil level too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Looking at replacement carburetors for that generator, I suspect if you removed the float bowl, you will find the "jet" at the bottom of the bowl. It can likely be removed. I would remove the float bowl (be careful you don't lose the float pin or float needle) and remove the main jet and use a cleaning tool for a welder tip and some spary carb cleaner to clean the orifices in the jet. This problem is common to all small engines including riding mowers and lawn mowers. There is a control for altitude adjustment on that carburetor and it is essentially a "reverse choke" that allows more air to mix with the main jet at higher altitudes which causes the engine to run RICH since there isn't as much air available. Up to 5-6K ft probably doesn't need to be adjusted but that is only a guess.

https://store.cyberweld.com/lincoln-...oln%20Shopping
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Hey George, what's a carburetor?

Agree with George's advice, the ethanol fuels are horrible about gumming up things if the fuel system if it sets for any length of time. Happened with my old riding mower when they first starting selling that stuff. Here in "The People's Republic of Maryland" there are no fuel stations around me that sell ethanol free fuel so I use premium fuel which helps.

This site is pretty good about listing the stations that offer the ethanol free gasoline. https://www.pure-gas.org/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Hey George, what's a carburetor?

Agree with George's advice, the ethanol fuels are horrible about gumming up things if the fuel system if it sets for any length of time. Happened with my old riding mower when they first starting selling that stuff. Here in "The People's Republic of Maryland" there are no fuel stations around me that sell ethanol free fuel so I use premium fuel which helps.

This site is pretty good about listing the stations that offer the ethanol free gasoline. https://www.pure-gas.org/

Won't get any more long winded on this subject but hi-test fuel isn't the best idea for low compression engines. It has retardants in it to keep it from combusting too early in higher compression combustion chamber conformations. Low compression engines are best run on lower octane fuels. The only advantage might be more advance additive packages.

Texas applied for an exemption from selling ethanol laced gas in order to keep beef prices down as the ethanol in gas comes from the corn that had been used to feed beef. Obama's administration denied Gov. Perry the exemption. The point of ethanol was to make the country energy independent to some degree and now that we are an exporter, not sure why they insist on using that crap in fuel. I purchase a 2013 F150 and it was a "flex fuel" model and the dealer warned me not to use E85 or whatever it was called as they claimed the engine was prone to overheating and poor mileage which offset the benefit of the E85 initial lower cost. More fracking and less corn in my gas I say!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annerob View Post
Is anyone else having this problem with their generator? Bought it new last year 2020 Fuzion 373 can’t even use my generator. It’s under warranty but 4-6 weeks wait to get it the shop to diagnose and 4-6 weeks for repair . We are from canada so not much time to use our rig and don’t want it sitting in the shop all summer.
I tried to use Camping World one time for a warranty repair. I made an appointment two weeks in advance and parked it on their lot on Monday, which was the night before. I didn't hear from them the next day so I called them on Wednesday morning to ask how long the repairs would take. They told me that had it in the shop but they hadn't had a chance to diagnose it yet. Heard nothing on Thursday so I called them on Friday. Got some story about they had it all apart and they were trying to locate the part supplier. (It was the fuel station pump that wasn't working) The following Tuesday I called back as I never heard anything back from Friday (surprise, surprise). They told me they were waiting on parts from California but some of the parts were on national backorder. A hurricane was approaching and landfall in our area was eminent so I just went to the dealership on Friday morning of that week to see if any progress had been made. When I got there the RV was in the same spot I had parked it in. I opened the fuel station door and nothing had been taken apart. I just hooked up and we went about 200 miles eastward to get away from the hurricane. We returned home a couple of days after the storm had passed and I never heard back from Camping World. I found a mobile RV repair company in my area and the owner is as whiz at RV's! He has honored the extended warranty on the fuel pump (which was in stock locally), my power awning motor and my generator. And I've never had to wait more than two days for him to get to me. Maybe you can find someone in your area that can do this for you.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Does your gen have the Altitude compensation lever? Make sure it’s set to sea level.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
Gary R.

Hello and welcome to the forum from Oregon!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote