Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
bwcj5

Cool Zeppelin Z241

Where can I get some info on the furnace in my 04- Z241?http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif
bwcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
SteveC7010

We've discussed this several times already. Determine what brand of furnace you have and go to that manufacturer's website to get the manuals for it. Suburban and Dometic are the most common brands, and both websites have all kinds of documentation available for downloading at no cost.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
bwcj5

Cool 04 Z241 Furnace Info

Thanks for the reply Steve,
The furnace is in the cabinet (which must be taken apart) and any manufactors decals are hidden. I must say that the Keystone Co. leaves a lot to be desired.
It seems they have no information or archives as to what they put in their product much less specific Owners Manuals other then that generic BS you can download.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcj5 View Post
The furnace is in the cabinet (which must be taken apart) and any manufactors decals are hidden. I must say that the Keystone Co. leaves a lot to be desired.
It seems they have no information or archives as to what they put in their product much less specific Owners Manuals other then that generic BS you can download.
When the trailer was new, there was a "build sheet" included from Keystone. On that document is a list of everything installed in the RV from the size of the tires and axles to the serial number of the furnace, A/C, refrigerator, what type toilet, and the list goes on and on. If you look around, you may find that old document, or if not, blame the original owner for losing it. Most of us put that document with the registration/owner's manual and refer to it as we need the information.

If you don't have that document, now that you're going to have to disassemble part of your RV to get to the information, it's a good time to start your own "build sheet" Even if the information is readily available without disassembly, I'd urge you to write it down anyway. On a cold wet rainy evening is not the time to be unrolling your awning to get the part number or model number if it's on the "build sheet" you're "golden"

You really can't blame Keystone for not providing information on a 9 year old RV after they provided it upon initial sale and kept it for the next several years. I'd bet you that Ford couldn't give you the warranty repair status of your 2004 truck either. (Although they do track the required recall items) I guarantee you they can't tell you the serial number of the radio in a 2004 Ford F150 VIN XXXXX Most manufacturers keep data for the minimum time required by law then dispose of it for efficiency as well as for legal purposes. If they can't find it, they aren't legally bound by it any longer.

Same with tire manufacturers, if you sell your tires to your neighbor, there's no requirement for Firestone to track him down. It's his responsibility to notify Firestone that he has the tires, if not, "too bad, so sad"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
bwcj5

Z241 Furnace

Well! I didn't expect a trashing. I appreciate the fact that all items can't be tracked. I've owned two 5th wheels, one motorhome, and three travel trailers. In each of them without fail, there has been a data sheet attached (glued) to the back of a cabinet door in addition to the owners manual, none of the above were a Keystone product.
Also for your information, I tow with a 2007 F250 6.0 that has the EGR delete, ARP head bolts, SCT SF3 tuner, and a Sinister Coolant Filter.
In addition you CAN obtain your truck history if it has been serviced by the dealer, by asking for the Oasis Report. It will give you all the service and warranty done......They may be hesitant to do so, but must by law
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcj5 View Post
In most RV's, the furnace is pretty accessible. My Sunline's was under the flip-up couch. Lift the couch and look. The Cougar's is behind an easily removed panel in the basement plus there is also the return vent panel that comes out quickly as well.

If the external venting of the furnace looks like the panel in the lower right hand corner of this pic, then the furnace is a Suburban.

If the exterior vent looks like this, then the furnace is a Dometic.

But, in both cases, you'd still need the model number off the sticker to get the right manual.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
MISailor

Missing Build Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When the trailer was new, there was a "build sheet" included from Keystone.
That's news to me. I organized all the documentation that came with out TT in a binder but that's one item that we did not receive.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISailor View Post
That's news to me. I organized all the documentation that came with out TT in a binder but that's one item that we did not receive.
I'd wager that your dealer kept it thinking that you and succeeding owners would have no use for it. That mindset seems to be all too prevalent these days with some Keystone dealers. Bad business in my opinion.

When I bought my '99 Sunline, the dealer's salesman made a point of showing me the build sheet and making sure that it was in the binder before the rig went to Service for final prep. Then, the RV Tech who did our PDI specifically pointed out the build sheet in the binder and told us that it could be very valuable if there is a problem in the trailer sometime down the road.

When we took delivery on the Cougar, I made sure the build sheet was present.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
When we took delivery on the Cougar, I made sure the build sheet was present.
I'll do the same next time. I owned my previous TT for 12 years and thought I was pretty well educated on the whole RV experience, but man I've learned a lot since joining this forum a couple of months ago.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It's a single yellow sheet of paper (a form) with a list of items down the left side and hand written model numbers, serial numbers and quantities where applicable. It has everything from tires to propane tank information on it. It's sometimes, as indicated by someone else, taped to a cabinet door. Ours was in the owner's packet and during the PDI it was hand carried by the salesman doing the briefing and we verified those items that we could access as we went along.

When we got home, and I was going through the packet, I made a couple copies of the form and one is in the trailer, one is in our files here at home and there's a couple of copies around that have been buried by other paperwork.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
I'll do the same next time. I owned my previous TT for 12 years and thought I was pretty well educated on the whole RV experience, but man I've learned a lot since joining this forum a couple of months ago.
I will vouch for the value of forums, and not just for RV owners. I joined the Sunline Owners Club forum back in 2007. The extensive discussions and contributions from so many knowledgeable folks were (are are still) just amazing. Since Sunline had just closed the doors, it was also a support group for many of us. With the factory gone, we had to rely on each other for information and solutions.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
bwcj5

Thanks for the clarification Steve. It is a Suburban, obtaining the model won't be a problem now. It does raise the ? Why the Suburban furnace and the Duo Therm (Dometic)
A/C and controls
Merry Christmas to all!!!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

I think it is because Suburban and then Atwood seem to be the two largest manufacturers of RV furnaces while Dometic is the big name in fridges, RV thermostats and A/C's (along with Coleman). Keystone probably buys these things in the 1000's and can get the best prices from the biggest companies.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Alpine Paradise

So this is close but not close enough ;-(

So this Zeppelin I own has this funky remote control for the Dometic Furnace, and even though I found instructions on how to operate the remote, it still wont work worth a darn. some times if I push the button that says furnace in the A/C unit I can get it to come on for a cycle, but some times that doesn't work ether. I also have some huge draw on the battery's, just sitting over night with out the furnace running they are almost totally drained by morning, any suggestions?
Alpine Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

First, the thermostat setting should be set to AUTO. If it isn't try setting to that and see if that makes any difference. I don't know what controls you have on your remote but there should be a setting for AUTO.

There are some parasitic draws on a battery that just "sits there". The fridge, some of your sensors, and the stereo all draw small amounts from your battery. If you have incandescent lights and have them on for long periods in the evening, they will draw down your battery faster than you would think. If you do a fair amount of dry camping, I'd switch all of incandescent bulbs to LED's.

I would also take a look at the age and "condition" of your batteries - assuming you have two. The Zep is an older model and if the batteries have not been replaced for a number of years, they may need to be. Might be worthwhile taking the batteries in and have them tested under load.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #16
Alpine Paradise

The Battery's are brand new and larger then stock, industrial 12 volt X 2. I leave 1 incandescent bulb on for my mother over the night, unplugged hot water and fridge. Are there such a thing as 12 volt rv LED's bulbs? If so I would sure be interested! I am trying to set this trailer up, off grid as a year round home for my poor old mother. But I will go see if the remote is on auto before I leave, thanks for some advice!
I also just disconnected the Trace inverter/battery charger I had installed and reconnected the converter and used it to charge the battery's 2 see if that inverter, that was given to me, may have some issue. I don't see that she really needs 110 anyhow.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're trying to set this up as an "off grid" home for and elderly lady and you're anywhere near Montrose, CO you really REALLY need to reconsider. These RV's are, at very best, 3 season campers. They are NOT insulated well enough to survive the cold without a significant amount of modification. She won't be able to stay in it once the temps remain below freezing, so take a long, serious look at all your options before committing to a "year round, off grid" camping experience for an elderly person.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Alpine Paradise

What are suggested modifications? I am working on insulated skirting and have insulated the slide out with Bubble pack type insulation. What all would you do?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

The forum is filled with threads started by people who have tried to live in their RV through the winter. Post after post are already available with considerations, solutions and possible "work arounds" dealing with cold weather camping.

Here is one thread from a couple of years ago of the issues faced by a member who tried to live in an RV on the front range near Pike's Peak: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...light=Colorado

One member, GEO, modified his Alpine for "cold weather camping". He documented the entire process from start to finish in threads on this forum. Do a search for threads by "GEO" and they will come up. A clearly documented history, complete with a photo history of what he found and what he did is available. He has since traded his Alpine for an RV that is "more suitable" for his purposes. He is considered "LORD OF THE UNDERBELLY" based on his experiences.

Another member, HANKAYE, lives in his RV full time and has spent winters in Utah with -40 temps. He may also "chime in" with some sage advice about whether living "off the grid" is sustainable in an RV located in the Colorado "high country".

To try to "rehash" all of the "what would you recommend doing" suggestions would take pages and pages to document. I'd urge you to do a forum search for: COLD WEATHER CAMPING, You'll get 4 pages of responses to get you started. Once you do start reading those responses, other phrases or words will begin to surface leading you to other threads and even more information.

We do have several members who successfully spend the winter in their RV. They do so with a significant amount of "preparation time" to prepare their rig. Even then, the real need to keep adding propane (and the added cost of that propane) to keep the RV warm would prevent "off the grid" camping. Most find that they go through two 30 pound bottles of propane every 3 to 5 days, even in "moderately cold" temps. Around Montrose, to run out of propane during a storm would put your mother's life in jeopardy.

Spend a couple of hours reading what you'll find in simple searches. Fixing up an RV with insulated skirting, bubble wrap and a few other "goodies" and then suggesting an elderly lady spend the winter in it during a "typical Colorado winter is a very risky proposition. She'd likely be much safer (and warmer) almost anywhere except in an RV.

There are several members who have tried what you're proposing. Only a couple have been successful.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS