Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #81
JRTJH
Site Team

The "heated/cooled leather seats are nice on a "hot desert day"... But for DW (and me too) the electric passenger seat and the 10 way adjustable driver's seat make sitting in the cab for long periods much more comfortable. DW says that just being able to adjust the height or the tilt is enough to take the pressure off her lower back or her hips and make sitting in the seat for another hour tolerable, where in our XLT with a manual passenger seat, we could seldom "sit in the cab" for much more than 2 or 3 hours before she was calling for an extended "rest stop"...

After having the XLT and the Lariat, I'd never go back to the XLT. Of course, some people don't find those "creature comforts" as necessary, but for us "old folks with creaky, stiff bones" being able to change the seat angle, seat tilt, seat height is sure a nice advantage over the cramps and aches from being in one position all afternoon.... YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #82
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Thank you sir.

I think I get the reasons for a slider after looking them up. I would probably want that.

What if I already have a Generator? I do have a B&S 5500 Watt dual fuel model, although its never been fired up and I got it on a great deal back in 2012-2013 when I worked for Academy Sports. It went for $599 and I got it for $199. I believe it was in the aftermat
h of all the tornadoes that ripped through ?
That generator you have is most likely a "contractor's generator" and loud as hell. If you fire that up in a campground, you'll probably get kicked out. Fire it up in a national forest and smoky will eat your azz. For a portable generator you need an inverter generator. If you're thinking of ordering, get a model that offers that as an option.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #83
LewisB

We've been off boondocking for 10 days and came back to find this thread - it is packed with great advice! Some points I'd throw in:
  • We've owned both a 450 DRW and 350 DRW. While the 450 turning radius was nice, the extra cost for tires, insurance, license, registration, etc. as already pointed out were not worth it. And our 350 DRW actually has a bit more payload. The 350 is rated to pull our 17K trailer and does a wonderful job of that!
  • Since 2017 (I think), Ford truck bodies are all aluminum; so you can't attach hitch rails to the bed (never a good idea anyway). The factor "puck" system allows direct connection of the hitch to the steel frame through the aluminum bed. The factory system is definitely the way to go. And aftermarket hitches drop right in with no fuss. The factory system gives you both 5th wheel and gooseneck capability.
  • We live in sand country and commonly travel to snow country; plus we love to boondock, so we get some mild off pavement stuff. I definitely recommend 4X4. It is not unusual for me to use low range, even just for parking the trailer; it makes maneuvering so much easier on the drive train.
  • If you use an iPhone, consider NOT purchasing the Ford Navigation system. The Ford Sync system connects with Apple Play and you can use your cell phone maps (google maps, windows maps, etc.) and they will operate through Ford Sync and give you the same Nav functions. The bigger in-truck screens are really nice & worth the cost.
  • I am one of the (few?) people who use a slider hitch with an 8' bed as mentioned by Javi. Getting to the forward compartments of my trailer (generator and propane tanks) is impossible without either a slider hitch or unhitching your vehicle. We use a slider made for the Ford pucks; Curt tube slider and A20 hitch. Our trailer has a Rota-Flex pin box which is currently very popular on newer trailers; make sure your hitch is compatible with this "flexible" pin box. Most are, but the Curt Q20, for example, is not. At any rate, check the forward boxes on your trailer and consider the possible need for access as a consideration.
I'd say you are well on your way to having a GREAT tow vehicle! Best of luck with your purchase.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #84
Rdynbama

I live in Alabama and bought a used F450 because it was cheaper than the 350’s I found
No special license required just make sure when you register it don’t let them tag it as commercial use because you’re just using it to pull your RV and the insurance wasn’t a big increase
I would check with your agent first though cause they are all different
My personal opinion is I like having more truck than I need.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #85
zack_borges

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, the OEM puck system is standard equipment on the F450, optional on the F350.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the OEM/Aftermarket fifth wheel puck system. The OEM system is a "one piece under-bed unit" and is typically not available once the truck leaves the assembly line. The reason is: The bed has to be removed to install the one piece unit.

The Aftermarket unit is a 2 piece system and can be installed without removing the truck bed...

Problem: The OEM puck system is rated at 18,000 (fifth wheel) and 27,500 pounds (gooseneck) which is 2500 pounds higher than the maximum trailer weight than the "similar 2 piece" Aftermarket system. The reason: Two pieces don't offer the same "rigidity" attained by the single piece system which ties BOTH truck frame rails together as a "single unit".

If you're ordering a "new truck" to specifically tow a fifth wheel, I'd recommend ordering it with the OEM puck system, NOT the Aftermarket system.

Definitely have go with factory installed. It will save you a TON of money 💰. Bought a 2019 without just to save a few bucks, I ate that savings in just the purchase of the rail kit. GM charges $350 from the factory and it comes with the 7 way plug in the bed. By the time I bought and paid for everything I was about $500 extra out of pocket.
zack_borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #86
Todd727

I had a 2014 F450, when I needed to replace it, I took a 2017 F350 off of the lot. In less than a year, I traded that and ordered another F450. I use these trucks as my daily driver and the tight turn radius of the F450 is just too nice to pass up. I can get in and out of parking spots and areas where I see people having issues in an F150.

The turn radius really shines though when backing the trailer into some of those tight spots.

Insurance wasn't an issue for me.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #87
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
That generator you have is most likely a "contractor's generator" and loud as hell. If you fire that up in a campground, you'll probably get kicked out. Fire it up in a national forest and smoky will eat your azz. For a portable generator you need an inverter generator. If you're thinking of ordering, get a model that offers that as an option.
My best option? Sell this one and get a HF Predator? Kieep in mind, this Gen has never been used in any way. Plugs are still in their plastic bags.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #88
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
My best option? Sell this one and get a HF Predator? Kieep in mind, this Gen has never been used in any way. Plugs are still in their plastic bags.
I'm on the opposite end of the state near Dothan. Maybe advertise around New Orleans or Mobile Craigs list. They are gonna need generators for a while in Louisiana. Just cloudy and light rain here. You'll get more rain/tornadoes than us so locally might be needed.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #89
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'm on the opposite end of the state near Dothan. Maybe advertise around New Orleans or Mobile Craigs list. They are gonna need generators for a while in Louisiana. Just cloudy and light rain here. You'll get more rain/tornadoes than us so locally might be needed.
Oh man, never thought of that. It'd take some doing to get it out of storage. But, this could be a future endeavor to do. Thanks!
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #90
TYHLR

As for the 450 with 19.5 wheels, there is a bit of erroneous info in the thread. I have had 19.5s on my 3500 GMC for 5 years and have never been happier and never have concern about going over tire/wheel weight limits. Some things to consider with 19.5s:

Your local auto tire shop does not carry them nor will they mount them as they don't have the proper tools to do so. This can be problematic if you have a breakdown on the road and may have to wait for roadside service. FWIW I have put about 10k miles on mine pulling a heavy 5vr, never had one tire issue on the TV.

Your only option for tire work is at a truck tire shop. They are the guys that have the right tools to mount/dismount the rubber.

Not every truck tire shop wants to mess with a dually and 19.5s. Most of them see them as being a PIA (which they can be).

Not every truck tire shop knows how to balance 19.5s on a dually. I spent hundreds of $$ trying to get mine balanced until I found a place that actually knew how to do the work.

19.5s tires are more expensive, however they tend to last much longer than a regular truck tire if properly taken care of.

Finally, someone stated earlier that 19.5s are limited to 60 MPH which I find laughable. My Michelin XZEs are rated for 80 MPH at fully loaded weight capacity. Mine have not been tested to this limit.

Last but not least, 19.5s have a certain cool factor on a dually IMHO.

Happy shopping.