Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 06:16 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
"I say, well I say, that's the joke, Son!" - Foghorn Leghorn
Soitenly! As was my post.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #22
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Close...I believe Wheels and Tires are different, too. Same engine, tranny, cooling, brakes and stereo.
I'm not even sure the wheels and tires are different between a GM 2500 and 3500. I think it is just the spring. Up here (BC, Canada) price difference is ~$800 for the added capacity, but the 2500 has an extra 3% sales tax, so you save easily double that by going to a 3500.

Got informed of this by a sales guy with a 2500 on his lot that he says should have never been ordered in. I do know it's been sitting a while. If it was gas and crew cab, I might have low balled him.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
1. "This won't hurt" , or "You'll feel a little discomfort" - Dentist or doctor
2. "This only a temporary tax", along with anything else said by a politician
3. "Guaranteed for life"
4. "This product will save you money"
5." Your truck can pull anything on the lot" and anything else the RV salesman says
6. "Half ton towable" by any RV company
7. "Polar pkg, 4 season insulated, etc." By any RV company
8. "Deep cycle battery with a CCA rating" by any battery manufacturer
9. "I only drank 2 beers occifer" by every drunk
10. "It was on sale honey" by every wife
11. "I was working late honey" by every husband

All of the above said in jest, except lines 1-9.
there - I fixed it...lol

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
"I say, well I say, that's the joke, Son!" - Foghorn Leghorn
Wow! You're dating yourself with that quote!
For the younger crowd that was from a great cartoon character from the old days before they became too violent for kids to watch, but no one got hurt.
Yet now all the cartoons & games the winner is the people that have killed everyone else, killing dead people?, destroyed everything in sight & has some smart a## remark to say about it.
Sorry for the rant!
Back to our regularly scheduled discussion!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #25
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Wow! You're dating yourself with that quote!
For the younger crowd that was from a great cartoon character from the old days before they became too violent for kids to watch, but no one got hurt.
Yet now all the cartoons & games the winner is the people that have killed everyone else, killing dead people?, destroyed everything in sight & has some smart a## remark to say about it.
Sorry for the rant!
Back to our regularly scheduled discussion!!!
Ouch! I remember foghorn. I am only 36. I used to think I was in the younger crowd.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Ouch! I remember foghorn. I am only 36. I used to think I was in the younger crowd.
Thank heavens for reruns!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #27
Gegrad

Ya'll think our forum gets wild? I am in a group called "Travel Trailer Camping" on facebook. Lots of good posts about what kind of EMS to buy, or discussions of various cooking utensils, or places to stay...

About half the posts are people showing their 1/2 ton connected (squatting badly) to a 35 footer with 4 bikes and 2 kayaks in the bed and the post says "My trailer only weighs 8000 lbs and my truck is rated for 10,500, so I know I am good there. Should I add air bags? Or do I need to adjust my hitch?" and over half the comments are supportive of that disaster. And when someone like us tries to comment I will occasionally get ridiculed with "Here comes the 1 ton dully police". There is a reason I have that group muted and only check in once a week to read about the other items I mentioned.

The most egregious was this post of someone with about a 10 year old Grand Caravan asking about a WDH so they could tow a 4500 lb dry Coachmen. They stated "The Caravan is rated for 4500 lbs and we do drive a separate vehicle with all the family and gear in it, so we only tow the trailer empty and we only go 150 miles at a time". Then I got attacked in the comments....
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #28
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Thank heavens for reruns!

Wow!! I had to look it up. I had no idea it only aired from 46-64. My dad was born in 1964.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Well, since all the stupid comments have been made already in this thread, well, I won't add another. Just spent the week camping and playing golf and spoiling a couple little ankle biters the missus loves more than me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #30
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
My dad was born in 1964.
So was I

Thanks

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
notanlines

Surely room for a little more frivolity:
Now who didn't like Foghorn Leghorn cartoons? When there actually WERE cartoons as Danny brought up.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #32
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Them: "Do I have enough truck?"
Me: "No"
Them: "What! What do you mean 'No'! You don't know what you are talking about. You're an idiot!"
Me: "You asked, I'm just sharing from my own experiences and knowledge."
Them: "Your opinion doesn't matter. Your off your rocker!"
Me: "OK."
2 months later:
Them: "Will air bags improve the performance of my truck? Will new tires help the performance of my truck? Will boosting the engine somehow improve the performance of my truck? How do I remove some of the weight from the overall payload of my truck when towing? How do I get rid of trailer sway? Why is my fuel mileage so horrible? Why do I need a new transmission?"

or:

Them: "Do I have enough truck?"
Me: "I don't know, what do you think?"
Them: "Thanks, I'm good."

It doesn't matter how you answer, "They" already have their minds made up and no matter what you say, won't change them. They are looking for validation for their decision they have already made, and when they don't get it, they get angry at you. It isn't until they, themselves, experience costly and disappointing tow vehicle failure they will finally realize what they were warned about.

TESTIFY Brother!!!!!! Can I get an AMEN!
Recently on the commute home a recent vintage F150 Eco-Boost blew by me doing 75 plus hauling a " half ton towable" Cougar 5ver. The V6 was howling like a hooker on nickel night, the tops of the rear tires were barely visible in the wheel wells, and the front wheels were in a death wobble over every ripple and expansion joint. Was his TV pulling the load? Certainly. Was he towing within the safe capabilities of the TV? Not even remotely in the most far flung alternate reality imaginable. The kicker? Kids bikes hanging on the back of the 5ver. Grrrrrrrrrr!
I can visualize this caring(cough) father having those conversations.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #33
Schmackpappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Do I have enough truck.
Pretty tired of reading these posts.
If you have to weigh the TT and listen to the RV sales person you don't.
4 times I have crossed over and back through the Cumberland Gap and more times than not I have been behind a TV that just doesn't make it.
I love my Silverado 1500 but I'm pulling a 4.5K TT.
If you want a TT that is over 6~ 7K buy a 2500 / 250.
My light weight grocery getter is good for under 6K lbsd.
F150 / 1500 is a light weight truck!
My wife and I are thinking about a GD 240RL (Sorry about Keystone people).
Their website says 1/2 ton towable but... If we upgrade it will be also to a 2500HD.
And this kind of post will turn people away from coming here for help. You may have the experience to know this but many do not. When I first entered the RV world I got nabbed by the sales pitch and towed a hybrid with a minivan. I had no idea about payload and the salesman took advantage of that. I took him at his word. It only took a couple of tows to realize how unsafe it was so I upgraded to a F150. We then upgraded to a bigger TT and with it a 2500 HD. I get it now but didn't then. People don't know what they don't know so help them out.
Schmackpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #34
Paulyd99

I have a friend who just posted their new TT on FB. A 33foot rig with a 7500lb dry weight. His TV?.... a 2019 Chevy Colorado!! How can any dealer allow someone to drive that thing off the lot? He is brand new to camping and obviously didn’t do any research, which is on him. But surely there has to be some kind of conscience on the dealers. Right?
Paulyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #35
JimSchwenk

over the hills and far away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Do I have enough truck.
Pretty tired of reading these posts.
If you have to weigh the TT and listen to the RV sales person you don't.
4 times I have crossed over and back through the Cumberland Gap and more times than not I have been behind a TV that just doesn't make it.
I love my Silverado 1500 but I'm pulling a 4.5K TT.
If you want a TT that is over 6~ 7K buy a 2500 / 250.
My light weight grocery getter is good for under 6K lbsd.
F150 / 1500 is a light weight truck!
My wife and I are thinking about a GD 240RL (Sorry about Keystone people).
Their website says 1/2 ton towable but... If we upgrade it will be also to a 2500HD.
I knew I'd need something more reliable because I moved from PA to GA and was due to make multiple trips with the cargo trailer and ultimately the TT.
So, I swapped my broken-every-month '04 2500 HD gasser for a used 2013 2500HD Duramax. At 90,000 miles I figure it's got a few good trips left in it.
Fast forward a month, made the last trip a week ago, it was time to bring my Keystone 26RB out of the campground and back to the new house.
Going over the hills between Asheville NC and Johnson City TN on I 26 was SO nice with the diesel. Chug-chug-chug, cruise control on 62, pulling around 8500 pounds, purring like a kitten. Why did I wait so many years to make the switch
BTW, I bought the 2500 because the nice GMC 3500 crew cab they had on the lot was gone when I finally went to the dealership. It's a plain-Jane standard-cab pickup, but the cruise-air-and XM radio are all I need for now.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmackpappy View Post
And this kind of post will turn people away from coming here for help. You may have the experience to know this but many do not. When I first entered the RV world I got nabbed by the sales pitch and towed a hybrid with a minivan. I had no idea about payload and the salesman took advantage of that. I took him at his word. It only took a couple of tows to realize how unsafe it was so I upgraded to a F150. We then upgraded to a bigger TT and with it a 2500 HD. I get it now but didn't then. People don't know what they don't know so help them out.
Can you explain this statement? Should we not say anything and let people continue on in their ignorant bliss?
Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #37
Larrystegall

enough truck

Just a thought, not all 2500's/250's are the same. Elephant under the hood is diesel vs gas, dramatic difference in payload. Crew cab vs regular, dramatic difference in payload. Work truck vs top of the line, dramatic difference in payload. Short be vs long bed, auxiliary fuel tank, O&O? You get the point.
And if you move straight to the 3500, the same conditions apply.

Any darn fool can drag a trailer down the highway. And many of them do...
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #38
mjsibe

Tow vehicle

As usual lol
Answer is go for the 3500 / F350
We have a 2014 Passport 3100rk
First TV was a 2500 HD Chevy Express work van.
It was fine but knowing I would retire the following year I got A 3500 Passenger van.
More than enough vehicle.
Scaled it once for a 7k mile trip
Came in around 13,500 combined
Truck is rated for 16k combined
Well with in the limit.
Having the cushion is safer than being at the limit
Trailer is 7400 max
Van is 9600 max with all the seats in
We travel with the one rear seat installed for the dog lol
Just get the bigger vehicle
Peace of mind & safer
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #39
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrystegall View Post
Just a thought, not all 2500's/250's are the same. Elephant under the hood is diesel vs gas, dramatic difference in payload. Crew cab vs regular, dramatic difference in payload. Work truck vs top of the line, dramatic difference in payload. Short be vs long bed, auxiliary fuel tank, O&O? You get the point.
And if you move straight to the 3500, the same conditions apply.
You're right there!
Recently there was a thread with a 3/4 ton with a very low payload capacity. The difference in capacity on that one and a 1/2 ton was less than the weight of two good sized passengers.
The chrome number on the truck's fender means little. It's the yellow sticker in the doorjamb that matters.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #40
BeckyMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
don't read them...
Exactly! It's pretty easy to just keep scrolling. I feel some people read and comment to the newbies just so they can show of how superior they are.

I read these forums frequently and I've learned allot, but we were all once newbies, and we all have made mistakes. Yes, we have relied on the salesperson and the brochures. Yes, we have hoped we made the right decision. But in the end, until it is home and in your driveway, you don't know what your own experience will be. Exception:. A dealership once let us take home a Silverado 1500 5.3L double cab. My husband test drove it and said he didn't think the cab was big enough but wife (me) says that anything with 4 doors would would. The salesman, thinking he just had to sell the wife told him to take it home for the night so wife can check it out. When I got home from work and saw how small the cab was, I immediately agreed it wouldn't work for us. We then proceeded to set up our hitch and our heavy Springdale and take it for a test tow. That also confirmed the 5.3L was not enough truck even though our plan was to upgrade to a lighter weight trailer. That was a rare opportunity and one in sure the dealer would not have allowed had he known.

I appreciate all the help found here. If you don't want to help, then why not just keep scrolling?

Becky
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote