Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
Keystone half ton

Key tv

My new 2020 Montana will not pick up any channels it has the winegard 360 antenna and the key tv it I checked all of the connections and they are tight I can’t figure it out any help thanks
Keystone half ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Mmeyer

Has you antenna worked in the past? Is the blue led light on at the key tv modul? Are you in air when doing a channel scan. Are the cables hooked up correctly at the wall panel?
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Keystone half ton

Blue light is on connections are right yes on the air when searching just got the camper 7-3-20
Old 07-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Keystone half ton

The tv’s was working when they went over everything with us at the dealership
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
Mmeyer

Are u in a wooded area where the antenna can’t get a good signal? Mine key tv module is burnt up on mine, I have done a lot of reading and the are junk sorry I couldn’t help you out.
Reese goose box
Old 07-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
Mmeyer

See if you can message chuckster57 he is very knowledgeable.
Reese goose box
Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer View Post
See if you can message chuckster57 he is very knowledgeable.
Just saw this, thanks for the vote of confidence. If the TV worked at time of delivery and it isn’t now, odds are the KeyTV module went on a separate vacation.

It sounds like you have the TV set to OTA, and have scanned for channels, contact your dealer for a replacement under warranty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:36 AM   #8
Keystone half ton

Thanks I will get in contact with them
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 AM   #9
Jnich17

Just for your future info, I have a 2019 Avalanche 375 RD and didn't come with KeyTv. Why, I don't know.It was a standard feature in 2019 and above Keystones. I run a Dish Tailgater and Wally satellite system. There are so many splitters in system the sat will not feed through them. I had to run individual RG6 coax to each tv location in order to recieve satellite.That is a job in itself trying to hide all cables. I added 2 more connections in connection station compartment and now it works great.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
Zoopster

Have you checked where the nearest broadcast towers are located to where you are camped. I have found that if >35 miles away or if you are surrounded by mountains while boondocking you will get no signal.

Have you checked your reception when at home and close to broadcast towers?

Try using the TV Signal Finder app on your phone. It works pretty good and shows you location and distance from your spot for the broadcast towers. Good luck
Zoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

One very important step in obtaining OTA TV signal is that you must do a "channel scan" at every stop. Even if moving from one location in a metropolitan area to another (from one side of town to the opposite side) the TV antenna "signal strength" will differ and the TV tuner will not obtain the best broadcast signal.

So, if you didn't do a "TV setup/signal scan" then you may not be getting any "TV picture/audio" just because the TV isn't "seeing any signal".

The KEYTV system may be "working perfectly" and there's not a thing wrong with your RV systems, rather it's "operator error".... Do a TV Channel Scan and see if that helps with the problem...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
skids

So, after finding the KeyTV module with the blue light, I figured While camping, I would do a channel scan for RF/air. The Next door camper found 4 or 5 channels. Mine found none. I opened up the cover and there was a black coax cable for the antenna, and an ivory coax for TV2, and other colors for other TVs, but there was NO coax hooked to TV1, nor was there one for the radio. TV1 is supposed to be white. The TV in the main room had an ivory colored coax hooking it into ceiling jack. I realize that the color code using a short coax from TV to jack may not have followed protocol. Why was there no white coax hooked to the module? Do you think there is a splitter from the antenna where one leg goes to the TV1 jack and the other leg (black) goes to the KeyTV module?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
ChuckS

There should be NO splitter in any of the feeds to each TV set. Attached is from KeyTV document. TV1 feeds directly to wall plate for main TV

You can easily trace signal with a multi meter on the cable for main TV set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	723F2F43-003E-46E8-A25F-7C3E88D8893E.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	28728  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
So, after finding the KeyTV module with the blue light, I figured While camping, I would do a channel scan for RF/air. The Next door camper found 4 or 5 channels. Mine found none. I opened up the cover and there was a black coax cable for the antenna, and an ivory coax for TV2, and other colors for other TVs, but there was NO coax hooked to TV1, nor was there one for the radio. TV1 is supposed to be white. The TV in the main room had an ivory colored coax hooking it into ceiling jack. I realize that the color code using a short coax from TV to jack may not have followed protocol. Why was there no white coax hooked to the module? Do you think there is a splitter from the antenna where one leg goes to the TV1 jack and the other leg (black) goes to the KeyTV module?
Referring to the what I bolded, This could easily be the difference of 2 different televisions or even the distance between the 2 trailers where your signal is blocked and his isn't. Not saying that you may bot have an issue but with digital signals if the signal is not strong then the slightest obstacle can block it.

When I upgraded the main TV in our camper I ordered it online. When it arrived I threw it in the camper to install it when at the cg. The OEM (can't remember the brand but it was some piece of junk) received about 6 channels. Installed new Samsung, same cable, antenna, etc. Turned it on, scanned and it received about 18 channels.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
copperhand

The Wingard 360 isn't that good in my opinion. If you are farther than 40 miles from a TV station antenna then you are most likely not going to get that signal. Bought my latest camper new about a month ago and during the walk through inspection we got several channels at the dealers location in town. I set it up at my cabin in the country and I get zero stations. Used the tv tower app and nearest station is 48 miles away. Called Wingard and they said the Omni 360 is only good for 50 miles. My older style hand raised antenna got at least 6 channels sitting in the same spot. I just rely on Direct TV. I will say this I have had zero issues with the Key TV using my Direct TV satellite. My older system with the booster button wouldn't work with satellite had to run individual cables dedicated to satellite only.
2014 Ford F-150 Lariate 3.5 eco
copperhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #16
Pickles

Had same thing got to watch for short time the dealer said to many splinters causing the signal to fade in and out so they ran a separate cable and wall plates just for the playmaker works great know
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
Pickles

Had same problem the dealer found out that the system has to manyspliters they ran a new cable and new plates just for our play maker we did at one time get tv before just for a short time they said the strength was getting lost between splinters
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Don't guess. First thing to do is to get a reasonable idea if there are television transmitters you can pick up from your location. Download from the Apps Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tenas&hl=en_US

About the farthest I can pick up using my King Jack DIRECTIONAL antenna is about 35-40 miles away. I point my antenna at the bulk of transmitting antennas and then do a scan each time I set up. You will also find that some stations change transmitting technical details and if lost, can only be picked up through a new scan. Once set up, I only scan if I lose a station that had been there previously. If you download this app and find there are stations you should be receiving, then look elsewhere in your TV connection, scanning, and the KeyTV junk.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
Apalinto

Copperhand, you mentioned you are using DirectTV. Do you connect you DTV antenna (dish) to the KeyTV module? I ask because I have a King Quest carry out antenna but as I understand it, you can only watch on one TV if you connect to KeyTV. That includes having a tuner box at each TV. My dish has 2 outputs but the KeyTV, only has one SAT input.
Bulletproof Powerstroke 6.0 Turbo Diesel
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #20
Diney 49

I had the same problem trying to connect with our cable supplier. We had to disconnect all of the leads from the key system and reconnect to a four way splitter in order to use the cable. I ran new coax to operate the TVs off the key system. I have spoken to both direct tv and dish, they said the only way was to go the splitter route. It takes a little time but it is worth the effort.
Diney 49 is offline   Reply With Quote