Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
travelin texans

Also DO NOT use the hockey puck adapters!!!! They are known to melt/short out if too much load, doesn't take much, is placed on it, good way to get shocked or worse. Use the appropriate doggone adapters.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:46 AM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
JRTJH, you are absolute right!
Campers always need to use the pedestal outlet that matches your shore power wire.
I think it’s 12 gauge to the 20 amp breaker
10 gauge to the 30 amp breaker
(Don’t know what the 50 amp is... two 10 gauge?)
50 amp is 6 gauge.
As for cord length, I carry a 40’ SOOW 50 amp cord easy to store and lighter than the standard 50 amp cable. My 50 amp 40’ easily fits in a 3 gallon bucket even below freezing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
JRTJH, you are absolute right!
Campers always need to use the pedestal outlet that matches your shore power wire.
I think it’s 12 gauge to the 20 amp breaker
10 gauge to the 30 amp breaker
(Don’t know what the 50 amp is... two 10 gauge?)
Most of those "heavy 50 amp cables are "twisted copper 6 gauge with an 8 gauge ground. (total of three 6 ga and one 8 ga. Weight is the issue with that much wire !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #24
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you wonder what each leg of the 50 amp (100 amp total) feeds, you can open your power center and look at the arrangement. The "main input breaker" is in the middle. It's two 50 amp switches tied together. The smaller circuit breakers to the right of the main breaker are fed by the "right side of that double 50 amp breaker" and the smaller circuit breakers to the "left side of the double 50 amp breaker" are fed by the "other leg" of the input power cord.

Most (not all) 30/50 amp adapters and 50/30 amp adapters combine both legs of the input power so both are fed to the main power center 50 amp breaker in the power panel... In other words, if you're using a 30 amp power cord, you have 30 amps feeding the "100 amp input system" that 30 amps can be divided in any amount to either side of the double 50 amp breaker. It can be 30 amps to the right side (if there's no demand on the left side of the system) it could be the opposite or it could be any amount of amperage to either side...

Remember, with a 30 amp input, your "main power center 50 amp breaker will never trip. You are relying on the individual circuit breakers in the power center to protect the individual circuit wiring....

A caution, if you use a 50/30 amp adapter on the input end of your 30 amp cord and plug it into the 50 amp plug on the campground power plug, then use a 30/50 amp adapter on the trailer end of your 30 amp cord, plug that into your trailer, then you will have a 10 gauge 30 amp cord being protected by 50 amp circuit breakers....

IF (unlikely but possible) you have a shorted wire in the 30 amp cord, it could melt, catch fire, burn "to the ground" and neither of the 50 amp circuit breakers would trip.... So, think about cables, adapters, circuit breakers and what's protecting what.....
Thanks, I am thinking of this type of dog bone adapter along with my 50A cord;
https://www.campingworld.com/power-g...ale-27988.html

I also considered the 45A type that combines a 30A and 15A feed, but learned it's a crap shoot as to which leg gets the 30 and which gets the 15...

Here is what my 50A ends look like;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200416_113416 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	26918  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Thanks, I am thinking of this type of dog bone adapter along with my 50A cord;
https://www.campingworld.com/power-g...ale-27988.html

I also considered the 45A type that combines a 30A and 15A feed, but learned it's a crap shoot as to which leg gets the 30 and which gets the 15...

Here is what my 50A ends look like;
I believe that CAMCO 30/50 amp adapter "connects the 30 amp power to both legs inside the 50 amp end of the plug... It will provide "up to 30 amps divided in any combination" to the trailer power center "main 50 amp breaker).

The "rub (fire/safety issue) comes in if you go to a campground that doesn't have 30 amp connections (many new campground power pedestals only have 50 amp plugs) or if the 30 amp campground plug is "wonky" or "broken" and you decide to also use a 30/50 amp adapter on the "campground end" of your 30 amp cord. IF YOU PLUG THE 30 AMP POWER CORD INTO THE 50 AMP PLUG ON THE CAMPGROUND POWER POLE then you have no protection for the 30 amp cord. It becomes a safety hazard/fire potential if it should fail internally, if someone cuts it with a lawn mower/weedeater or if there's an electrical surge that overloads the 30 amp cord but not the 50 amp breaker...

So, judicious use of such "shortcuts" are warranted.... I'm not suggesting that you don't do it, but if you do, know the risks associated so you don't blindly think you're being safe with a smaller cord, when you may not be safe at all.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #26
Keystoned

Confused...I don't have a 30A cord, it's a 50A cord. Am I missing something?
I would use the cord alone if 50A service is available or add the dog bone at the power pole if only 30A is available.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I would use the cord alone if 50A service is available or add the dog bone at the power pole if only 30A is available.
Your post #4: I was thinking of getting just a normal 30A RV cord and save a few bucks and pounds

And Post #11: Maybe a 50' 30A cord at most or 2x 25'. I actually listed my 50A in CL to trade for a 50' 30A but no bites yet. With my one AC, why would I need a 50A cord?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #28
rhagfo

Keystones, keep in mind that an AC takes a bit of power, running a single AC on a 30 amp service limits other electrical devices you can use. In addition IF you put a 50 down to 30 dog bone at the pedestal and have a 50 amp service in the trailer, your light weight 30 cord can now be overloaded as your minimum protection is 50 amps.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #29
Keystoned

So today I posted (#18) otherwise after learning more and deciding to stick with the 50A cord. And;
"I would use the cord alone if 50A service is available or add the dog bone at the power pole if only 30A is available."
What other choice would I have if the CG only has 30A?
The only other dog bone I've seen that might help has 2x 30A males going into a 50A female, on the outside chance there are 2x 30A available...
All this seems like overkill for us who hardly ever plug in at all, lol
Are you guys just effing with me?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #30
GHen

Length of power cords

Quote:

50 amp is the best cord if you’re using your ac or a couple electric heaters.
To save weight and room, I bought a 30 amp cord when I only use one ac or one heater or when I need a lot of power from the generator.
To save even more weight, I just use a 20 amp heavy duty regular extension cord when all I need to do is charge batteries, use the fridge or connect a generator to just charge up the batteries.

I have dog bones for the RV side of each of the lighter cords.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
So today I posted (#18) otherwise after learning more and deciding to stick with the 50A cord. And;
"I would use the cord alone if 50A service is available or add the dog bone at the power pole if only 30A is available."
The only other dog bone I've seen that might help has 2x 30A males going into a 50A female, on the outside chance there are 2x 30A available...
If you're going to "add a 30 amp adapter" to the campground pedestal end of your 50 amp power cord, and plug that into the 30 amp plug on the pedestal, you'll be protected at the pedestal end by a 30 amp breaker.

If you decide to get a 50' long 30 amp shore power cord and plug it into the 30 amp receptacle on the pedestal, you'll be protected.

The issue comes when you use an adapter on the end of that 30 amp cord and plug it into the 50 amp plug on the pedestal. You've created a "fusible link" for the length of the 30 amp cord.

If you are using a 50 amp cord and a 30 amp adapter to plug it into the 30 amp receptacle, no problems as long as the cord pins and the receptacle pins are in good condition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #32
Keystoned

Thanks, the decision to stick to the 50A cord was made and shown in post 18. If someone had pointed out that 50A was really 100 close to post 1 then this thread would be much shorter...lol
Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Some of the parks we've been to don't allow that double 30 to 50 amp adapter, apparently it's unsafe for some reason.
Have used a 30 to 50 doggone adapter with our 50 amp EMS connected to the 50 amp cord on numerous RV parks with never an issue.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #34
rlh1957

It comes with 50A service which allows you to run more appliances at one time and for the possible addition of a second AC. We have several different gender and Amp dogbones to use anywhere the power available might be less than 50A.
At home I use a 30A to 50A adapter and my rig stays on 30A. Fridge and AC work great. Haven't tried the HW on electric with AC but it would be close. If you kick a breaker, you just go reset it and turn off one or the other of the high amp appliances. You can even plug your rig into a 15A/20A electrical supply and operate the electric fridge and tv/video, and keep batteries charged. You might even make a pot of coffee or use the Microwave, both depending on the wattage of the appliances. Hairdryer, probably not. It doesn't hurt your RV to run it on less amps, cause if you try to use more amps than the breaker can handle it will kick off.
You could get the 50A twist lock to 30A dogbone adapter and take a 30A cable with you instead of lugging that 50A cable around. AC will work and you will have less extra amps to run everything else... I believe they call it conserving power and prioritizing what doesn't have to be on at that time.

Some of the big class A with 50A circuits have different legs of the power line going to different places so some things may work and some may not on a 30A. Class A's may use the 50A to split out to use for 220V for dryer.
For longer trips we have adapters to use for 50A hookup or places that may only have a 30A site available. Nothing worse than traveling and finding you don't have the correct connector. The nearest shop to have one is 40 miles away or the camp store has one for quadruple the going price and it's been there so long even the dust on it has grown a beard.

Can you tell I am really needing to talk to people in the real world these days?

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #35
Jerry S

I guess I do not understand why if you have 50A service why you would would not want to take advantage of it. The few lbs. extra weight for any length of cable you get will not make a bit of difference. Many times you cannot run your AC and microwave at the same time with just 30A. I always use the 50A if available.

Quote:
So after reading many threads, here is my dilemma.
Our 5W has 50A service with the locking connector, but only one AC unit and I don't see adding another as the height would be way over 13.5' and we rarely plug in anyway.
It came with a 30', 50A locking cord and adapters for both 20 and 30 amps extensions. I think 30A is the most we will need. So far, so good.
My question is of a practical experience nature.
How often have folks here been burned by only have a 25' long extension cord? This is the most common length I see for sale.
Do I really need a 50' or even 30' cord? The port is near the rear of the 5W...and this would be the only 30A cord I would carry.
Thanks in advance!
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #36
Keystoned

All I can say is read post #18...maybe this thread should be locked? It seems to have entered bizarro land...an endless loop.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #37
rodgebone

I have two 30' 50 amp cords (one is locking, one is not); the connection is at the back of the trailer. also one A/C. after hundreds of campsites I've only needed the second cord once - it wasn't out of necessity but rather wanting to park in "just the right spot". 99.9% of the time I don't need it but still glad to have that extra cord for unexpected situations. The expense is justified despite the extra weight. I run on 50 amp hookups as much as possible so my theory is to keep it simple with two 50 amp cords & 20/30 amp dogbones/adapters (ONLY when 50 amp isn't available). This covers nearly all power/safety requirements and campsite layouts as I never stay in the same site twice.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
It comes with 50A service which allows you to run more appliances at one time and for the possible addition of a second AC. We have several different gender and Amp dogbones to use anywhere the power available might be less than 50A.
At home I use a 30A to 50A adapter and my rig stays on 30A. Fridge and AC work great. Haven't tried the HW on electric with AC but it would be close. If you kick a breaker, you just go reset it and turn off one or the other of the high amp appliances. You can even plug your rig into a 15A/20A electrical supply and operate the electric fridge and tv/video, and keep batteries charged. You might even make a pot of coffee or use the Microwave, both depending on the wattage of the appliances. Hairdryer, probably not. It doesn't hurt your RV to run it on less amps, cause if you try to use more amps than the breaker can handle it will kick off.
You could get the 50A twist lock to 30A dogbone adapter and take a 30A cable with you instead of lugging that 50A cable around. AC will work and you will have less extra amps to run everything else... I believe they call it conserving power and prioritizing what doesn't have to be on at that time.

Some of the big class A with 50A circuits have different legs of the power line going to different places so some things may work and some may not on a 30A. Class A's may use the 50A to split out to use for 220V for dryer.
For longer trips we have adapters to use for 50A hookup or places that may only have a 30A site available. Nothing worse than traveling and finding you don't have the correct connector. The nearest shop to have one is 40 miles away or the camp store has one for quadruple the going price and it's been there so long even the dust on it has grown a beard.

Can you tell I am really needing to talk to people in the real world these days?
May need to check, but I'm thinking there's not a 220 volt circuit onboard RVs. I've had both types of laundry machines, combo & stackable separates, neither had a 220 volt dryer. Maybe some the million dollar + coaches have 220 available, but never been in one of those, nothing in my price range has had it.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #39
rlh1957

I use my 50A when it's available. At home I've had a 30A for years using with my other rigs. I just never ran a 50A over for my current hookup since in the drive I just need one AC, fridge and battery charged.
And if you have never arrived at a campground just to find only 30A service available you are lucky. That's why I carry dogbone adapters of every flavor. I even have a dual 30A Y that will go to the 50A camper connection. One state park only has two 30A receptacles on the pedestal. You can use both with the Y splitter, or you can run your 50A rig on a 30A if you aren't equipped to make it.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #40
Keystoned

OP here.
Well I have a 30' 50A cord and a 30A to 50A dog bone now for high power usage.
Also have a 15/20A to 50A locking adapter and some 15/20A power cord for low power usage.
At the risk of beating this horse to death, I think I'm set.

Tags
power