Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Macerator notes

My sis and bro-in-law camped in their Riverside Retro pull 28' pull trailer at our place for over a month. I had previously purchased a macerator pump for such purposes. Bought it used; I think craigslist for a reasonable price but had never used it. I built a fitting to go on the end of the uphill side clean-out at the end of our sewer pipe line at the end of my house. The fitting was basically a clean out plug with a hole drilled into it and a piece of PVC inserted; long enough to put a 1" hose over the top and screw it down. I bought two 100' heavy duty 1" hoses and connected them and cut off about 10'. I put a fitting on the cut end to connect to the fitting at our home's end.

The other end was up the hill about 190' away and connected to the macerator pump which in turn connected to their trailer. The pump was used for about 5 weeks with no issues. My bro-in-law kept it up off the ground and under his slide out. The pump worked flawlessly and gravity had a big part to play since it is downhill from trailer pad to our house. He used a water hose connected a clear clean out elbow to give the black tank contents enough water to run freely while macerating. Gray tank was dumped and ran down a hill away from the house (we have some acreage so nothing was impacted).

Don't know how far a macerator run can be but ours downhill at 190' proved no problem. The alternative was to hook up and dump directly into a septic tank lid with a clean out installed on top (had the stuff on hand with a spare lid if the macerator didn't work).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Logan X

It’s good to hear the macerator works well. I was thinking about getting one for my house. Right now I’m using a “blue boy” tote and that is working ok.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote