Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2020, 04:26 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Going completely Solar in an RV part 2

As promised here is the video on cost of the project. Although he list individual cost of components I think he was a bit embarrassed to say the total. But you can figure that out by adding.

If I could afford it I would do it in a heartbeat. I have lived off of the grid for almost 39 years now and would not hook up if the power company came to my door and offered. (I am in no danger of that happening)

So, cool project, but way out of pocket for a vast majority. BUT if I was selling the ranch and moving into my RV full time I would add it in as a cost. No ifs, ands, or buts,

Enjoy the video.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
Frank G

I totally agree with your comments. I learned a lot about the complexity of multiple incoming power sources. My only addition would be the use of 3M vhb adhesive tape on rubber roofs. It may stick but the underlining rubber to wood sdhesive may fail.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I totally agree with your comments. I learned a lot about the complexity of multiple incoming power sources. My only addition would be the use of 3M vhb adhesive tape on rubber roofs. It may stick but the underlining rubber to wood sdhesive may fail.
To add to your comment about the 3M VHB tape on rubber roofs, our Springdale suffered "multiple roof punctures" when a tree fell on it in a campground. I went to Lowe's and bought a roll of "roof tape" to seal the holes to get the trailer home, work the insurance game and tow it to the dealership to "sit until they got to it". The tape I bought was applied to a clean, dry TPO roof and within a week, was reacting with the TPO membrane, causing it to be "tacky, gooey and was well on the way to dissolving the roof"....

So, the "chemical composition of the adhesive in any tape product" may not be compatible with the roof membrane as well as to pull the adhesive away from the wood decking under the membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I think Ronnie found someone to finance his dream system that he's always wanted to install. It's great if you have the money and the need.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar