Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I own wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors and rebuild/sell vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors (also do Harley carburetors as well) and don't advertise and don't have a Facebook account. I have been swamped with business for the past 15 years. I have a website that isn't pretty but more or less is functional and have never hired one of those marketing companies to drive business my way. Guess it depends on what business you are in and how much you want more. I keep busy as it is.
I remember you from VROC. .

And that’s just it. Your type of business is served better by word of mouth. Others rely on tv or radio, some print and some digital. It’s up to the owner to determine which medium has the best ROI.

We really don’t do any marketing either. As a livestock feed dealer we mainly rely on word of mouth and we feed nearly all the horses at the local race track so we have a very good reputation in the community. However with the increase of Urban farming Facebook was a natural place to go. I joined a local chicken group and in combination with a larger Homesteader we developed a chicken mash. Sales are through the roof for that product and cost me nothing besides some screen time and developing that relationship. I have at least one new person a month come in saying they either saw something I posted or a recommendation from a group.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
i love it when people that have never seen my books and really have no clue try to tell me what works and doesn't work as far as marketing. I mean we are only a 5th generation family owned business celebrating our 125th year of operation in 2021. What do we know?
10% is a very real and quantifiable number and costs me nothing. A well designed website costs thousands up front with ongoing maintenance costs. For me a website would have near zero ROI.

I really don’t care your reasoning for not using FB. That’s your own choice but many of your complaints are solved with a few changes in the settings. My account is locked down, I don’t provide phone numbers or addresses, I have all notifications turned off so I don’t get the endless emails. I really don’t get any ads either. As far as anonymity, just being online blows that away. I could easily get your name, address and phone number in minutes.
Brant, my post was not particularly about you...nor your defense of Facebook. I referenced a "business" that would assume a 10% increase in volume....I think that would need to be verified and substantiated across the board...I think you will be hard pressed to do that - in a "quantifiable way".

I don't need to know "what is and what ain't" about your business or "see your books". Generalizations just "thrown out" without documentation are just "thrown out". Nor do I care about all the customization you do to make it workable "for you" - you need to specify that if that is what you do to make it workable for you before you just post "stuff".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #23
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brant, my post was not particularly about you...nor your defense of Facebook. I referenced a "business" that would assume a 10% increase in volume....I think that would need to be verified and substantiated across the board...I think you will be hard pressed to do that - in a "quantifiable way".

I don't need to know "what is and what ain't" about your business or "see your books". Generalizations just "thrown out" without documentation are just "thrown out". Nor do I care about all the customization you do to make it workable "for you" - you need to specify that if that is what you do to make it workable for you before you just post "stuff".
How is it not about me? I posted I increased sales by 10% and you basically said that wasn't true. It wasn't a generalization and I don't need to provide any documentation. The fact that I said it should be enough. Not sure why I need to prove what I say for you to believe me.
And again, not sure why you think you know my business by saying your hard pressed to believe I cannot track sales, see trends or see increases or decreases in sales. If your running a business and can't decipher any of that your not going to be in business for long.

You had a full page dissertation of "stuff" explaining why you don't like facebook and don't understand why others do. Frankly it sounded like a grumpy old man yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. I was just indicating that there were solutions to the things you disliked. If you don't care just move along..
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #24
Fishsizzle

Quote:
You can turn off the review feature
Not when I started doing biz 10 years ago
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
How is it not about me? I posted I increased sales by 10% and you basically said that wasn't true. It wasn't a generalization and I don't need to provide any documentation. The fact that I said it should be enough. Not sure why I need to prove what I say for you to believe me.
And again, not sure why you think you know my business by saying your hard pressed to believe I cannot track sales, see trends or see increases or decreases in sales. If your running a business and can't decipher any of that your not going to be in business for long.

You had a full page dissertation of "stuff" explaining why you don't like facebook and don't understand why others do. Frankly it sounded like a grumpy old man yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. I was just indicating that there were solutions to the things you disliked. If you don't care just move along..

This will be my last direct comment to you on this topic. You made a ''generalized" statement that inclusion in Facebook increased "your" results, whatever they may be, by 10%. You have now endorsed Facebook, while so many others disagree, and posted results that you may or may not be able to corroborate, to influence others on the forum in that direction.

Remember, our (your) membership on the forum is to promote the knowledge of owners of Keystone products or others, support them in in any issues they have and to be just "owners in arms" with lack of better terms.
Pushing the benefits of an internet site that may or may not be beneficial to members, but to you specifically, is a bit beyond the pale...to me. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #26
CWtheMan

Arn't you already a Keystone ambassador if you're hauling around a trailer with Keystone on it?

Footnote: When I brought my current car, the haggling was all done and the only thing left was to sign for it. I told the financial manager I wanted another $500 off for accepting it with a dealership decal attached, or have it removed. He sent a mechanic out to remove it. It was worth the try because I don't like those decals being forced on me.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #27
notanlines

Cal, knowing some of our members like I do (Yes, from this interaction over the years) I'll bet that there are many, many members on this site that have told the salesman to keep that crapola off the back of my new truck. And, giving it some thought, I don't believe age has a bearing on that decision. There are just a number of people out there like Danny, you, John, Danny, Chris, Marshall, me and so on that simply wouldn't stand still for a dealer's insignia on our new truck.
I'll bet I can add Chuckster and Hank to this list.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:19 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

I would love to take that “maximum car” decal off, one of these weekends I don’t have customers lined up I just might try.

BTW, on the topic of FB, I originally stated I’ve never been a member. I can proudly state that I’m still not a member and have zero interest. If it works for somebody else more power to them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #29
Northofu1

Everything in moderation, that includes BEER
There, I said it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:54 AM   #30
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Cal, knowing some of our members like I do (Yes, from this interaction over the years) I'll bet that there are many, many members on this site that have told the salesman to keep that crapola off the back of my new truck. And, giving it some thought, I don't believe age has a bearing on that decision. There are just a number of people out there like Danny, you, John, Danny, Chris, Marshall, me and so on that simply wouldn't stand still for a dealer's insignia on our new truck.
I'll bet I can add Chuckster and Hank to this list.....
If I got a good deal (and I usually do) I don't have a problem with a decal. While driving through Massachusetts last June EVERYONE loves their bumper stickers in that state, I liked it, especially with traffic in an around Boston.
Ok I'm done, I promise

Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #31
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This will be my last direct comment to you on this topic. You made a ''generalized" statement that inclusion in Facebook increased "your" results, whatever they may be, by 10%. You have now endorsed Facebook, while so many others disagree, and posted results that you may or may not be able to corroborate, to influence others on the forum in that direction.

Remember, our (your) membership on the forum is to promote the knowledge of owners of Keystone products or others, support them in in any issues they have and to be just "owners in arms" with lack of better terms.
Pushing the benefits of an internet site that may or may not be beneficial to members, but to you specifically, is a bit beyond the pale...to me. JMO/YMMV

So is this another case of if you have a differing opinion of the Site Team your not allowed to share that? You went on a huge dissertation on why you hate it and why others should hate it also. Because you think so I’m not allowed to share my positive experience. I’m not trying to influence anyone.
I think you need to take your own advise about promoting knowledge and resize your way is not end all and be all that you portray. Actively discouraging members from using a site that may or may not be beneficial to members, but not you specifically you, is also beyond the pale.

I might also remind you that this was posted in the Odds and Ends category. Which is for general chit chat. Also the entire point of the post was for Social Media, which Facebook falls under.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
So is this another case of if you have a differing opinion of the Site Team your not allowed to share that? You went on a huge dissertation on why you hate it and why others should hate it also. Because you think so I’m not allowed to share my positive experience. I’m not trying to influence anyone.
I think you need to take your own advise about promoting knowledge and resize your way is not end all and be all that you portray. Actively discouraging members from using a site that may or may not be beneficial to members, but not you specifically you, is also beyond the pale.

I might also remind you that this was posted in the Odds and Ends category. Which is for general chit chat. Also the entire point of the post was for Social Media, which Facebook falls under.
I've read this entire thread & although I'm not, never have been & never will be a FB member I think the problem was the snarky way you responded to others with your accolades of FB.
I think if it works for you by all means post frequently daily, but just know that myself & some of the others have no clue about what your business is, what you may sell or what services you might offer & won't be finding it on FB.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #33
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've read this entire thread & although I'm not, never have been & never will be a FB member I think the problem was the snarky way you responded to others with your accolades of FB.
I think if it works for you by all means post frequently daily, but just know that myself & some of the others have no clue about what your business is, what you may sell or what services you might offer & won't be finding it on FB.
No snark until I was told in no uncertain terms that I don’t know how to run my business and there’s no way I can determine how much ROI my methods of marketing earn.
Again, my only point was to show that there are options to protect yourself from any privacy concerns. 🤷*♂️ First rule of the internet is to not try to figure out tone. Maybe people should be less sensitive?
I do know that if certain members are questioned or offer a differing of advice they are quickly infected that their opinion is unwanted. And then they wonder why someone no longer logs in after that first post. Seen it many times in the short while I’ve been here.
As far as my business, we are local, so as far as anyone here being a customer is non existent so no need to detail what it is. Beside I wouldn’t advertise here even either directly or indirectly as part of a conversation. Not my style.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #34
Northofu1

The internet is a fickle mistress, it is what it is. You can beilieve everything or nothing. Or you can accept that people have different ways of doing things. There's no black or white in the world of media, all different shades of grey. I use Fakebook, it whiles away the moments of boredom at work. One thing I suggest is to try not to attach emotion to a written sentence or paragraph. The tone of the writing belongs to the writer. Unless they go on in great detail about how stupid you are.
This site is awesome, I have learned much from some of the elder statesmen here, but all things learned were from trial and error on the way to a greater understanding of owning and correctly maintaining a cardboard box that can bring much joy or misery dependent on your learning curve.
I've also learned Daniel's can be crusty, but soft on the inside, Like Sourdough.
Sorry Danny

Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

With the exception of Post #34 (thanks for a measured and appropriate comment), this is turning into a "Mama, he's looking at me!" Mama, he touched me!" thread....

Before it gets to a "Mama, make him stop!" thread, let's get it back on track please.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #36
Brantlyj

I’ll add that since I’m not retired like many here I don’t typically have time for multi paragraph replies. I work 10 hour days, 3 kids with two of them in evening activity’s 4 times a week and a wife that for the last year has been battaling 2 types of cancer and just last week had her third surgery so I’m playing nurse as well. The only me time I have is the 15 minutes I take for lunch and just before bed. And I use my phone for the forums. So I keep my posts brief and to the point. So if that’s snarky, well I just don’t have time to coddle to peoples feelings.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

No one has time to "coddle other people's feelings" but this thread needs to get back on track, discussing the Keystone Ambassadors program, it is NOT a "bash/support Facebook thread".

Otherwise, it will be closed with the next "I like/don't like Facebook" post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

As the OP, and a moderator, a couple of things:

1. I posted this knowing that a lot of our forum members are not on FB and may not see the announcement. I posted to give anyone who may be interested an opportunity to apply.

2. I don't think the Ambassadors are a FB page or group. That is my opinion as I do not know.

3. Seemed like a neat opportunity to possibly expand all of the good things we do here on this forum to others and maybe let them know we exist.

4. I can't believe how far off in the weeds this one went. SMH.

5. There are lots of ways to do things and there is room for all of them. Imagine that!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #39
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
As the OP, and a moderator, a couple of things:

1. I posted this knowing that a lot of our forum members are not on FB and may not see the announcement...
and then it promptly left the road and ran off the cliff.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #40
Tbos

Since I applied we will see what they say and what the agreements are, if I get selected.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone