Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

full time trailers

I know some trailers are intended for full timing. Went to the RV show in San Antonio recently and saw some of these; Van Leigh, Grand Design, etc. They had models there that were pretty expensive and touted as being for full time. I looked around and it appears SOME Keystone rigs are in that same category. Some Montanas and Alpines etc? How do you differentiate other than really long or having a bunch of slide outs or have washer/dryer hook ups. A salesman at the show told me that full timing in a camper NOT rated for full time use might cause the manufacturer to void the warranty and I know there are implications with an insurance company.

How do you determine if a trailer is for full time use? Don't recall seeing this on a website as a category, at least for the more common brands I am familiar with.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's hard to determine how any RV model will hold up to full time use. Some people clean, repair, maintain their RV and at 10 years of use, it looks "like new"... Other people, using the same RV model can completely "wear it out" (I didn't say destroy it, but.....) in 6 months....

So, full timing is about like anything else, subject to use/abuse by people/animals....

There is a caution in the Keystone Owner's Manual (applicable to everything Keystone builds) that says:

"Your recreational vehicle was designed primarily for recreational use and short-term occupancy. Prolonged Occupancy can lead to premature component wear/failure and create conditions, which if not managed properly, may be hazardous to your health and/or cause significant damage to your recreational vehicle. These types of “Damage” are NOT covered under the Limited Warranty."

Based on the Owner's Manual, I'd interpret that nothing Keystone builds is constructed or designed for full time use. That said, people are living full time in everything that Keystone sells, from Hideout (entry level models) to Montana/Alpine (luxury models)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

To me the "full time" tag has come into use in the last few years to promote bigger/better/more expensive units. Some of those "add ons" are actually worth it....others not so much. I place very little credence in those claims because if you look at one that makes them with a critical eye you will find things that bring lots of questions.

First trailer I ever owned was a bottom line Terry Taurus back in the early 80's. No sealed bottom; no heated tanks or underbelly; no slides; just basic stuff. I worked out of it for 3 years in everything from blistering summers to below zero winter temps. I had frozen LP tanks, frozen water hose and a couple of times when I would have a faucet freeze up....but nothing that ever stopped me from functioning that I couldn't take care of quickly. Now, it's like if you don't spend an extra 10-20k you'll freeze in the winter or roast in the summer. I take it all with a grain of salt...sales hype to me. Just gotta be ready to do what you gotta do to make things work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
travelin texans

Had a Redwood advertised as a "full-time residential" 5th wheel, was more expensive than a Montana or Alpine & quality was obvious looking inside at real wood cabinets & overall better built, after 6 years full-time looked/performed as good as it did new.
Had a Big Country prior to that which in just under 5 years of full-timing had multiple items that were showing considerable wear after the daily use & more maintenance on my part.
You can full-time in any RV, TT or 5er, & as mentioned it depends on the care provided by the user, but some higher end ones will/do hold up better.
As to insurance, our provider did not cover full-timing, but our agent stated that unless we told them how would they know we weren't just on vacation if filing a claim in a different area, which in our case they paid after a couple different claims from different parts of the country, no questions ask.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:02 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

My wife was especially taken by the Redwoods due to floor plan and the one she liked was a bathroom and a half. Will probably never full time but it has crossed our minds as San Antonio keep creeping out towards where we live.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I know that GD doesn't care if you are an extended stay customer, one of the reasons my son bought an imagine for his family after he lost everything in the camp fire...That and he got a decent price because I worked at that dealership

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Full time survivability in an RV, IMHO, is directly related to the underlying structure, the parts you don't see. Typically, since that underlying structure costs more, the materials used to cover it up become "exotic"... Think about the million dollar diesel pusher motorhome with its porcelain tile floors, African Mahogany cabinets and quartz (or granite) countertops... Does the cabinet material or the granite countertop make the underlying structure any more durable than oak faced MDF cabinets, formica countertops and vinyl flooring?

I remember back when steel kitchen cupboard painted white with enamel paint were "all the rage", then came formica and oak, followed by African Mahogany and quartz, and now "reclaimed barn beams".... IMHO, the material used is more directly related to fashion trends and it's the underlying stuff that's covered by that expensive décor that really matters.

Typically, you won't find expensive materials in a cheap trailer, but you will, often find cheap structure (same frame quality and manufacturer on a Hideout as a Montana) that's hidden by expensive "eye candy".... Neither is more "surviveable" because of the African mahogany.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
CWtheMan

The reference below is a brochure for 2003 Everest fivers. On the last couple of pages you’ll find the specs and pictures of our 363K

We shopped all around FL for a fiver we considered sturdy enough for the full time life style we planned on experiencing for 4-5 years. We found our Everest at Lazy Days RV at Seffner, FL.

We purchased it with all the options and upgraded the single 13.5K A/C to a 15K. We chose the single unit washer/dryer over the heavier dual unit. Once living in it I had to add a TV cable connection to the bedroom. We had opted for Dish TV service and a separate line was required for the second control box. For internet service we used the Verizon MiFi service.

We purchased our Everest new in 2003 and sold it about a year and a half ago. It had something between 200,000 -300,000 miles on it and still had the original axles and brakes. Of course the brakes were overhauled a couple of times but were always sufficient. Our first battery lasted 7 years and when we sold the trailer it was still operating on the second battery.

We did a lot of modifications/upgrades but none added much weight. We scaled it at least 3 times year in the first couple years but then we got pretty confident in estimation our cargo load.

When reading the brochure you can see that the Everest was completely sealed from the weather and had high insulation factors.

Was it a full time trailer? Nope, not advertised as one. However, it’s durability held-up to all the moving we did in all 48 connecting states and 5 CDN Provinces.

Keep in mind we were weather travelers. Meaning we traveled within a weather environment that was not going to freeze or overheat the trailer. We never boondocked or stayed in places that did not provide electric service. Our goal was FHU (50 AMPS).

Did we have a generator? Yes, a 2000 Honda for emergencies. I kept in good running condition by using it to run my electric air compressor for tire servicing.

https://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckim...03_Everest.pdf

On the Bearcamp River in NH…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=17642

Frog Level RV Park, Philadelphia, MS…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19957

We started out with a 1999 Dodge dually. This was the first hook-up with the new, long lasting 2004…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19778

A two month winter stop in Starke, FL…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19508

Laughlin AFB FAMCAMP Del Rio, TX…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12505

One of the many upgrades, customized venetian blinds…. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15836

Cal & Linda Roberts, Saguaro National Park, Tucson, AZ.... http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19059
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote