Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Mark Evans

Toilet not holding water to prevent odours

Hi all , I have a 2019 Cougar 29res , the toilet bowl will not keep the inch of water above the trap door to prevent odours rising from the the black tank , also I have a slight leak from the pedal housing at the base of the toilet bowl

Any advise please on what is wrong . The water that drains away is not equal to the water that drips onto the floor under the pedal.

Mark Evans
United Kingdom
Mark Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm guessing you have a Dometic (Sea Land) toilet ???

If so, put on a rubber glove and step on the toilet pedal. Reach the gloved hand into the opening and push the rubber seal "up" and into position. Use some silicone grease to lubricate the seal surface and see if that helps with water retention in the bowl. The seal is replaceable if it's worn or damaged, about $10.

As for the pedal assembly leaking. Do you mean the area where the pedal swings on its axis or do you mean the water valve mounted on the back of the pedal assembly?

If it's the water valve, it can be easily replaced. When you look at it carefully, if you see a "protruding dot" on the surface, that's the freeze indicator meaning the internal components have frozen and the valve is damaged. Replacement valves are available for around $15-25.

If it's the pedal assembly, then the entire "kit" is available to replace the parts that typically wear and cause leaks. The kit doesn't come with the water valve, only the "axis repair parts" and costs about $45-55.

If it's a Thetford toilet, many people recommending "cutting your losses" and just replacing it with a Dometic model. The Dometic 300 is a plastic bowl toilet, the 310 is a porcelain bowl round toilet and the 320 is a porcelain bowl elongated toilet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
travelin texans

Good advice from John, especially about replacing if it's a Thetford.
After checking/greasing the seal try adding more than a inch of water, try 2-3 inches, the seal may hold better with more plus the more water in the black tank the better.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Mark Evans

Toilet bowl not holding water to prevent odours

Hi John ,
Thank you for your reply , yes I have the porcelain round bowl , it has had very little use as a holiday home , the trap door seal feels in good condition with no rips and appears correctly seated , with no free upward movement available to provide a better seal against the underside of the door , the external leak is from the pedal pivot point , not the water inlet at the back of the bowl .

Mark.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Mark Evans

Two inches of water will drain away in 15 mins , frankly any grease or silicon will be wiped off / washed off when in service .
Old 07-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Canonman

I found I needed to completely take the seal out. Put on some rubber gloves. With the water off press on the pedal and reach down and remove the rubber seal. On mine, the underside had some hardened "stuff" that had to be scrubbed to get off. I used a bucket of water and a scotchbrite pad to thoroughly clean the seal then greased it with vaseline.
To reinstall, leave the bowl closed and simply work the seal back into position. You'll feel it as it lips back into its seat. Not too messy and worked to stop the leaks.
As for the leak around the pedal, I have not experienced that one so no suggestions there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9714 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	22913  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post
Two inches of water will drain away in 15 mins , frankly any grease or silicon will be wiped off / washed off when in service .
Silicone grease or plumbers grease, Vaseline is not recommended, will stay a long while even with use.
Plus a couple inches of water will put a bit more pressure on the seal & do a better job of washing solids down/out, so can't hurt.
Both are suggestions are for the OP to try, if you chose not to try them or are sure they won't work in your case, don't try them, but they might work for others & again sure won't hurt.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post
the external leak is from the pedal pivot point , not the water inlet at the back of the bowl.
I had such a leak. First, I discovered that the intake tubing was not even hand tight, which reduced the volume greatly. Then, I discovered that the assembly was supposed to have two screws holding it in, and mine was manufactured with only one. (To add insult to injury, the maintenance instructions didn't admit the presence of ANY screws in this assembly, so I was having a real hard time disassembling it. I eventually learned the truth with an inspection mirror, as the valve was inches from the wall and couldn't be viewed from the end.)

Also, part of the problem was that assembly waste (sawdust and styro) had been left inside the rig, including plumbing and tanks, so the intake screen filter on that valve was plugged full of styro sludge, causing backpressure and almost no flow to the toilet.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #9
Mark Evans

Thanks for all your replies
Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
Mark Evans

I will remove , clean , refit and silicon grease the seal , I guess as the inch of water drains away it could run down the slide door actuating arm and leak out as I guess the seal is not completely waterproof since it only withstands flushing , both faults started together .

I will update .

Regards from UK
Mark
Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 AM   #11
Roscommon48

it is a 2019 get it fixed under warranty.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:51 AM   #12
Mark Evans

Arhhh , warranty , yes its a nice idea , unfortunately all warranties are void as soon as the trailer leaves the USA .

Mark
Old 07-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Check your toilet owner's manual. There is a procedure to "mold" the toilet ball seal. Essentially, if pressing the seal back into place doesn't work, the procedure is to pour "HOT" (not boiling) water into the toilet bowl, allow it to cool and then relubricate the seal. What that does is allow the seal to soften and form itself to any variances in the mechanism that wouldn't seal by pressure alone.....

So, if pushing the seal onto the bottom of the bowl doesn't work, use the "hot water molding" technique. It's in the manual.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, vent, water