Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Tomurphjr

Question Should I Upgrade my Equal-i-zer hitch

I bought a 2018 Outback 325bh and I have the equalizer 10000 lbs hitch with the 1000lbs bars that I used with my old travel trailer (7000lbs loaded).

The specs I'm concerned with are below and straight from keystone.

Shipping Weight 8428
Carrying Capacity 2072
Hitch 980

Seeing how I'm so close to the hitch weight from the factory and assuming I'm at 10000lbs loaded with all our gear in it, full propane tanks, battery, etc ( havent had it weighed yet). I'm worried the hitch isn't enough.

Thoughts? Would my current hitch setup be enough or should I upgrade to the 12000lbs hitch and 1200lbs bars?

I drove it home from the dealer, 25 or so miles, empty without issue. I don't plan on carrying water, but you never know.
Tomurphjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Your trailer is about 500 lb. more than mine gvw. I started with 10k stuff but went to their 12k (1200) bars with the 14k shank. Much better in my mind. 1200 lbs. on 1000 lb. bars just didn't work for me.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
Kylemcmahon1

I got the same trailer in December. I tow with a 2016 ram Cummins 2500. I made the dealer include a new 12000 lbs hitch to replace my 10000 lbs hitch. I then have sold that eq 4 point and now have a Anderson we hitch. Easy to use light to handle and works great. You need a 12000 lbs hitch or greater for your trailer. What is your tv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Kylemcmahon1

Oh and once you fill your propane and put gear in the front baggage compartment. I can Guarantee your hitch weight is way over 980. I weighed mine with empty tanks with just our stuff in it. The trailer weighs more than 10000. And my hutch weight was around 10500.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
Oh and once you fill your propane and put gear in the front baggage compartment. I can Guarantee your hitch weight is way over 980. I weighed mine with empty tanks with just our stuff in it. The trailer weighs more than 10000. And my hutch weight was around 10500.

Sorry hitch weight of 1050 to 1100.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:59 AM   #6
Tomurphjr

Thanks for all the replies! We have out first trip in April, so I'll start researching the best/cheapest place to get the hitch from. I'll sell my current setup to help offset the cost.

Should I just go with their 14000lbs hitch and 1400lbs bars or could that cause a negative effect as well?

TV is a 6.0 powerstroke F250.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
Kylemcmahon1

My opinion is never hurts to have extra room. But everyone has there own opinion. As long as you do not exceed the limits of the hitch you are good. Like I said above I love be my Anderson wd hitch. Some people love them and others hate them. So I will let you do your own research and make the decision for your self. The only thing I will say is I had an e2 12000 lbs hitch and I hated. So much bounce and not enough sway. My opinion is Anderson first choice. And equalizer 4 point is my second.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomurphjr View Post
Should I just go with their 14000lbs hitch and 1400lbs bars or could that cause a negative effect as well?
I posted this response I received from etrailer.com on a different forum thread:

"The weight distribution kits for the most part work in a range of weights. For example, the Equal-i-zer 14K gross & 1400 lb TW kit (part number EQ37140ET) has a tongue weight range of 1000 to 1400 pounds. This range is listed on all of our weight distribution product pages under "Specs", unless the kit you are looking at is a low capacity kit. In that case it will give a maximum tongue weight spec only. For this 1,400- Equal-i-zer example, the bar will begin to spring at 1000 lbs and it can break after 1400. When the bar springs, it is doing its job (distributing the weight up your tow vehicle frame and down the trailer frame). Ideally, you will want your actual loaded tongue weight to fall right in between whatever the listed tongue weight range is. For this Equal-i-zer kit, you would want to achieve the closest to a 1200 pound tongue weight as possible, even if that means rearranging some weight in the trailer to help facilitate this goal. If you can reach the middle of the tongue weight range, and the kit is properly installed, it will perform to the standards the manufacturer intended it to for you and you will be very satisfied with it! "

Hope this information helps!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

^^x2 what e-trailer said. If you buy a 14k hitch, and move up in trailer size in the future, you may be looking at a 5th wheel by then. You can always upgrade later when new trailer is in hand. Use the right tool for the job now. Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it for the next guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Tomurphjr

Without having it all weighed, I don't know or think I'd be in the middle at 1200 hitch weight, so the 1400lbs bars probably won't work for me.

I'll probably just hook it up and go have it weighed.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Tomurphjr

Quote:
My opinion is never hurts to have extra room. But everyone has there own opinion. As long as you do not exceed the limits of the hitch you are good. Like I said above I love be my Anderson wd hitch. Some people love them and others hate them. So I will let you do your own research and make the decision for your self. The only thing I will say is I had an e2 12000 lbs hitch and I hated. So much bounce and not enough sway. My opinion is Anderson first choice. And equalizer 4 point is my second.

Not that it matters, but I am using the 4 point equalizer hitch.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Not that it matters, but I am using the 4 point equalizer hitch.

It does matter. After all you are the one who has to use it. I was giving my opinion. The e-4 was my second choice. For me I think the Anderson is best. I think they are both great systems.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
Tomurphjr

Quote:
It does matter. After all you are the one who has to use it. I was giving my opinion. The e-4 was my second choice. For me I think the Anderson is best. I think they are both great systems.

Understood, you recommend a different manufacture. You mentioned an e2. I was simply saying that I use a 4 point hitch, not a 2 point, rated at 10000lbs with 1000lbs bars.

I'm going to stick with equalizer brand as I like not having to deal with chains, etc.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
Kylemcmahon1

I understand I was saying the e2 sucks. The e4 is far better. I went with the Anderson because of easier to handle. And less bouncing feeling. Bars are nothing but a spring. Just personal preference. I think they both have there advantages and disadvantages. So like I said comes down to personal preference. Happy camping.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Don't forget that you do have adjustment room in a WD hitch. Going with the heavier bars allows you to run a lighter adjustment setting. If you have rear TV sag you now have more then adequate bar to help bring the level closer to normal.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #16
Tomurphjr

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with the equalizer 4 point hitch, 14000 w/ 1400 lbs bars.

Going out with new camper and hitch this coming weekend and decided I'd rather go a little bigger than necessary with the hitch..
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with the equalizer 4 point hitch, 14000 w/ 1400 lbs bars.

Going out with new camper and hitch this coming weekend and decided I'd rather go a little bigger than necessary with the hitch..
They're pretty easy to dial in. Follow the directions as written, and fine tune until you have it all level. An impact wrench makes it easier. You may have to add or subtract a washer after the first attempt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, hitch