Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
fastenerman

Ramp Door Locks

Hello everyone, we just purchased a 2016 Cougar 326SRX and I couldn't believe the rear cargo ramp door didn't have locks on it or any provision to even put a padlock on it. Kinda stupid that you can't fully secure your RV or its belongings. Just seeing what other people have done to resolve this issue
fastenerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenerman View Post
Hello everyone, we just purchased a 2016 Cougar 326SRX and I couldn't believe the rear cargo ramp door didn't have locks on it or any provision to even put a padlock on it. Kinda stupid that you can't fully secure your RV or its belongings. Just seeing what other people have done to resolve this issue
You might contact the hasp manufacturer to see if they make a locking version. Thst should be at the least a direct swap out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 AM   #3
xrated

Honestly, I've never seen one that DIDN'T have locks or at least a place to put a padlock. My ramp gate has both. WOW!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #4
notanlines

"Kinda stupid that you can't fully secure your RV or its belongings" I can't argue with that statement other than to say your remarks were actually kind in comparison to what I was thinking. I might also add that it isn't the kind of thing one looks for on your PDI. Who would think that simple locks would be left off the unit?
I looked at photos of three 2016 Cougar 326SRX RV's and I just couldn't tell if they had locks or not. Maybe one of the other owners will chime in.
I believe Chip has the correct answer. Most of these companies make a myriad of products to satisfy the various RV manufacturers so surely your locking hasps won't be a problem.
And, by the way, welcome to the forum. Don't be a stranger. What do you tow with? We like to gang up on newbies and then take sides on the Ford GMC Ram argument. No, I'm just having a little fun. Tell us a little about yourself and be sure to keep us in the loop on your hasp story.
Jim in Memphis
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Just thinking out loud here, but is it possible that Keystone (or the hinge/hasp manufacturer) changed designs? Could there have been some complaints of padlocks causing damage by swinging during travel or freezing during the winter which led the manufacturer to develop a "no lock exterior" and changing to a lock that's on the inside of the door? While I'm not saying there's a change, go find it, I'd hope that if Keystone did change to interior locks on the ramp door, they are at least "non-obtrusive" rather than "a couple of big ugly things" hanging on each side of the ramp door.....

Maybe they're there, just not what the new owner is looking for ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
fastenerman

Thanks Jim, so I tow the 5th wheel with a Harley Davidson Ultra Limited in the back with a 2016 Ford F-250. Gas not Diesel, air bags in the rear. She pulls like a dream. No problems at all. This is our first 5th Wheel, loving it so far.
fastenerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #7
Tinner12002

Could it be that they just didn't get the holes drilled in them like they should have??
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #8
TandE

I know this is a few months old but I just saw this.

I thought the same thing on my 2015. If your door latches are the same as mine the hole for the lock is on top. Once latched the lock goes in and prevents the latch from being pressed in to open it.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
pizzacarl

Ramp door locks

Hi TandE, can you enlighten me on what these locks look like, and maybe what I should look for? Reviving this old thread as I just took delivery of a 2011 Montana Toy hauler with the cam-action/swivel bar lock doors and there is seemingly no way to lock them as-is. Thank you in advance!
pizzacarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzacarl View Post
Hi TandE, can you enlighten me on what these locks look like, and maybe what I should look for? Reviving this old thread as I just took delivery of a 2011 Montana Toy hauler with the cam-action/swivel bar lock doors and there is seemingly no way to lock them as-is. Thank you in advance!
The fella you addressed your request to posted in March 2018. Take a close up picture of your latch mechanism. His description didn't really help much. I looked at several of those trailers but none had close ups of the latches.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote