Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
first time 5er

Converter and Charger

Just replaced my lame group 24 battery with a pair of T105 6volts. My converter puts out 13.6 which is good for a "float charge". The spec sheet states if a bulk charge is needed they should be charged at 14.8 and equalized charge 16.20. My question is do i have to disconnect the batteries from the converter to use a separtate battery charger?

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Converter and Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by first time 5er View Post
Just replaced my lame group 24 battery with a pair of T105 6volts. My converter puts out 13.6 which is good for a "float charge". The spec sheet states if a bulk charge is needed they should be charged at 14.8 and equalized charge 16.20. My question is do i have to disconnect the batteries from the converter to use a separtate battery charger?
The WFCO converter/charger system has three modes:
Absorption Mode: During this mode, the converter output is in the 13.6 Vdc range. This is the normal operation mode. This mode provides the 12 Vdc and current required by the 12 Vdc RV appliances, as well as slow charging the battery.
Bulk Mode: In this mode, the output voltage of the converter will switch to 14.4 Vdc range for a maximum of four hours. If the converter cycles between “Absorption and Bulk mode”, there could be a shorted battery cell or other issues.
Float Mode: In this mode, the converter is charging the battery with a trickle voltage of 13.2 Vdc. When the converter senses a demand (by turning on lights), the converter automatically returns to the “Absorption mode”.

I've used the WFCO converter/charger with my 6 volt battery system without any problems for 3 years now and know of a number of others who have used it successfully for 5 or 6 years without problem. I don't think you'll have any problems with the "built in charger system"......

If you're going to use a separate battery charger with voltages higher than those listed above, I'd recommend disconnecting the batteries to prevent any "high voltage condition" from reaching the WFCO transformers and voltage rectifier.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter