Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
busterbrown

irv6500bt inside speakers dont work

We just arrived at the campground and both inside speakers have no sound in my Bullet. Outside speakers work fine. Checked balance and fade. Anyone know of something I missed? Or is it just a defective head unit? Inside speakers are after market and have been performing fine for months now.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Tbos

I'm guessing they don't work when you have "B" selected either. If that's the case you should check all speaker wiring for opens and shorts. You could swap wires so the inside speakers are driven by the outside channel "C". However if the speakers caused damage to the 6500 unit you could lose that channel too. I had an expensive home stereo that sequentially lost each pair of output channels. It was cheaper to replace than fix. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
busterbrown

I just cut the outside speaker wire from the head unit and attached it to the inside speaker. It works. This confirms it's the head unit. Channel A (inside) and Channel B (unused) are both inoperable. Channel C (outside) works as expected. Will the dealer deny me a warranty claim if they see I mounted new speakers? Should I reinstall the old speakers? My dealer is 3 hours away and I'm unsure if they'll just ship me a new one. Or will they expect me to drive that distance for a simple swap out?

Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Tbos

Good job troubleshooting. I had an issue with the same radio. No volume from any channel. I just took the radio to the dealer after calling them. I dropped it off mans received a call a few days later that Keystone authorized replacing the radio and they did just that. Hopefully your dealer will do the same. You are saving them time and effort by bringing in just the faulty radio.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
busterbrown

Well, after cutting and splicing all the speaker wires behind the h/u, i had a stupid thought that maybe it was a speaker short. I pulled the rear inside rear speaker down and tested it on channel A. Voila! It worked. The aftermarket speaker magnet is so big that it must have been touching the metal roof support. Or one of the terminal ends. Anyways, made a conscious effort to add some tape insulation around the leads and turned the speaker body away from the roof support. Screwed it in and all channels work now. 2 hours of cussing at myself for nothing. Lesson learned.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #6
Tbos

Glad it's working now.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
papi

I have a similar problem with the outside speaker. The won't work until the radio is playing for about 10 minutes. It is almost like Chanel C or the speakers needs to heat up before they start working. Could it be the head unit also? Is there a better replacement for it?
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
busterbrown

Check for shorts and the speaker connections behind the head unit. A good chance it's the h/u if you can rule out the above. Channel B may help you while you interrogate.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
I have a similar problem with the outside speaker. The won't work until the radio is playing for about 10 minutes. It is almost like Chanel C or the speakers needs to heat up before they start working. Could it be the head unit also? Is there a better replacement for it?
Had the exact same issue with my Linear System unit. It was the head and the dealer replaced it under warranty...it was not the speakers.

I knew it was the head unit but I had to bring the camper in for them to troubleshoot it. The symptoms are that of a cold solder joint, which once the unit is on and heats up expands the crack and makes contact.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote