Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Esai

Using Trailer Without Opening Slides

We have a 2015 Bullet 251RBS on order and we downloaded the manual. It says not to walk on the floor of the slide when it is in. Our slide will house the table and couch -- does that mean we can't sit at the table without opening the slide? Thinking about the logistics of stopping to make and eat a quick lunch. Dave on the Forum has already assured me we can access the kitchen and table but will have to access the bath from the second exterior door when the slide is in.

New to this whole thing and getting antsy for our unit to show up -- it's promised for July 4th. We aren't taking it anywhere right off -- going to practice in our yard for a bit so as to not look like Yahoos.

Priscilla
Northern New Hampshire
Esai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Correct. You cannot use the dinette without fully opening the slide. When retracted, the floor is not supported properly for people to use.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The slide floor when retracted does not sit flush with main floor of the RV. There is a small space between the two; consequently, it is not fully supported from "underneath" - only on the two sides and ceiling. Because it has limited support any additional weight - 2 adults and perhaps children - the floor could come apart where it joins the side slide walls. That is the reason for the caution from Keystone about walking on the slide floor.

When stopping for lunch, we try to avoid stepping on the slide floor and eat our lunch at a rest stop table, inside the RV sitting on the step to the bedroom, or in our recliner which is not resting on the slide floor. A bit of an inconvenience but you learn to live with and adapt to travelling in an RV. Remember, you are not travelling in your stick house - it's just a minor nuisance IMO.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
theeyres

This was true in a former RV and we just opened up the slide for lunch. No big deal. We could almost always find a spot in the rest area where there was ample room. More often than not we stopped at gravel pits or some such place where there was no problem.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I park where I can open the slide, I stand out there with the remote and watch, so nobody drives into it. Takes 1-2 minutes, than enjoy the rest and meal.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

We open a slide when we need it.... Either at Walmart, truck stop, rest stop or whatever... Just use common sense...

Park on the end where the slide would extend over the grass if there's a curb on the end...

NEVER park with your slide extending into the unoccupied spot next to you. What you DONT want is a tired OTR driver (or RV driver) pulling into the spot next to you and not noticing (until too late) that your slide is extended and hitting it.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Old Bear

Always one of the dangers of buying used! This is the first time I have ever heard this caution. I have the 2008 Keystone Cougar 278RKS, and I never thought about sitting on the couch or dining area seats with the slide in causing damage. The booklets provided by the original owner are incredibly sparse on useable information, and that has been my biggest disappointment with the RV world. It's like we are supposed to learn all of this through osmosis! As we normally keep the slide out at the house (we are always in and out for one reason or another) this hasn't been an issue yet. I'll be sure to pass this on to the DW as well!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
GaryWT

We rarely top. We will bring sandwiches in the truck and eat while driving if we need to.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
koko

Gosh, am I glad I saw this. We knew that you had to either have the slide fully in or fully out because of leakage, but I'd never heard that you can't walk/sit in slide area when it's in; but when you think about it, it surely makes sense!!!!!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
mespro

Ditto: KoKo

Guess thats why we joined the forum , to learn stuff like this.
mespro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Esai

Thanks everyone for the helpful information! Guess we won't be walking on the slide when it's not out.

We'll be traveling with a Chihuahua and -- dare I admit this? -- a small parrot. We got the parrot 26 years ago as a baby... who knew she would still be with us, healthy as a horse, and probably still good for another five years or so? (Bigger parrots last even longer.) We bought a Tundra (the one with the bigger engine and four doors so there's a backseat for the parrot cage and the Chihuahua.) We'll be needing to stop and let Sunshine out in the trailer to stretch every few hours (she's used to being loose -- but she's potty trained.) The table will be very useful to put the cage on so she can have a little flight for herself.

My husband had thought we'd just open the slide when we stopped so I guess that'll be the plan. Good idea someone mentioned to be sure it's not where someone could run into it !

We downloaded the manual from the web site and my husband has been studying it. I'm sure anyone else needing a manual can get it from the Internet -- the home of all things wonderful !

We plan to see the southern US first (starting in February next year for 10-12 weeks) and then come home to New Hampshire for the nice weather, which lasts until Halloween if we are lucky. Then it's snow and we want to be gone again. It's gorgeous here in Northern NH but the winters are awful unless you ski or snowmachine. We had required skiing in college and I nearly killed myself; snow machines scare me. I like to swim!

Can't wait for our Bullet to arrive so we can get practicing !

Priscilla
Northern NH
Esai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #12
theasphaltrv'er

WOW that's great to know.... now! Had an 07' Cougar TT for 7 years and never put the slide out when we stopped for lunch and never had any problems.
OK all you experts, answer this! If the floor is not supported when in ... how is it supported when out? All it does is move from point A to point B.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
OK all you experts, answer this! If the floor is not supported when in ... how is it supported when out? All it does is move from point A to point B.
I'm no expert, but perhaps some are or were supported even when closed?

Our 2009 is definitely not supported on the inner edge when closed. The side walls and outer wall are supported, but there's about a 1 inch gap along the inner edge and the floor sags noticeable if you put any weight on it.

There is a plastic glide bar installed along the bottom edge of the slide out opening that the slide out 'glides' on as you run it in and out. That bar provides support for the inner edge of the slide out floor when the slide out is open.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
Dave in Va

I missed that warning in the owners manual.

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Dave in Va

Ah ha--Closed the slide. I see know...

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Mighty Ming

That being said about no support when slide is in....to adjust it would one do it with the slide in? I think mine is a victim of the slide coming out of adjust. I say that cuz it has a slight Hic up when operating it. Plus when I looked underneath I saw that it slipped down. Obvious by the markings where the slide adjust brackets used to be and now new metal exposed. Seems like an easy adjust to put it back where they originally were. Loosen to bolts and crank on the adjusting bolt. Of course I would support the slide with a bottle jack and lift up instead of trying to fully crank on the adjusting bolt. Am I on the right track? Searched the forum as well ask internet (###-tube) with no results. Tks

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

You're correct in thinking that the adjustment of the slide is a "simple matter of adjusting the bolt/bell mechanism and the height adjustment. But, it may not be "that simple" in that you need to remember that as you adjust one side, the other side also moves in the opposite direction, so where it "was" may not be where it needs to "be now"....

Most people who have adjusted their slides have found the easiest way to do it is to adjust in very minor increments, check the results, adjust a bit more, recheck and continue that process until the slide is back where it should be.

The point is that while you can see that one side has "moved out" and is obvious by the paint and scratches on the bolt/bell, you can't be sure that the other side hasn't "moved in", and there would be no scratches showing in the current position. So, proceed with caution, get the Lippert (or other supplier's) manual, read through it to see exactly how to adjust your slide, then take it slow and easy until you get it where you need it.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
harley

Mine is not a Keystone product ,but am looking at one. There is about 3/4'" between the slide floor and the TT floor . I just put a piece of 3/4" plywood on each end and in the middle so as to allow us to use the table with slide in. works great and also stops bounce on the highway.
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
Mighty Ming

Thank you John. Yes I can see that both sides of the slide have shifted. I base that on the markings of where it USED to be. I will follow your advice and take it slow. I'm to blame I believe.. as we tend to sit on the couch and dinette when the slide is in.
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Richard6959

I didn't know about this, however on our 2014 Laredo we can't use much of anything without opening the slides. We have the island so when the slides are closed everything is a tight fit. No room to squeeze from front to back, Its only up and over or go out and come in the other door. I guess this will prevent the temptation of wanting to sit while the slides are closed.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote