Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Israel

Issues Unhitching Ball (neck Ball) Stuck in locking cam (latch)

Hi,

I got a new Springdale 260TBL, it is so nice. So far everything was great but I noticed that sometimes if I back it up in an angle (to park the trailer) when I’m trying to unhitch it, the ball (neck of the ball) will be caught inside the trailer coupler (locking cam ) because it will get pinch with the latch (in the open position). Any advices? I think the baking up in an angle make it really hard for unhitching, but obviously sometimes there is no option to be perfectly straight.

Israel
Israel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Hoojs12840

Do you have the ball greased?
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

There's another thread with a similar issue. The solution in the other thread was to chock the trailer wheels and the put a little forward pressure on the hitch. That, coupled with disconnecting the friction bars before messing with the latch, has eradicated all of my troubles.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Israel

Thanks, I will try that.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
Do you have the ball greased?
Yes, I have the ball grease
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
theeyres

I have an Andersen eqaulizing system and have found that the best procedure is to raise the trailer (I have an electric crank), release the Andersen, lower the hitch to release the ball. At that point I often have to put the truck in Drive and let it go forward just until tight, then the latch releases easily. Then raise the tongue until the trailer is clear of the ball. Works every time.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #7
{tpc}

Once in awhile I have to fiddle with it. Sometimes I use the truck to get it tight and then release it, sometimes just fiddling up and down with the tongue jack will do it. The most often times it is stuck? When the truck and trailer aren't perfectly straight.

I too disconnect the friction plate and spring bars prior to this, to me this is the only way that makes sense, but its how they showed me to do it at the dealer.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Dadstoy

I've had the same problem with mine, and have learned to put forward pressure on the hitch. It then releases easy. I use to fight it.
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I have an Andersen eqaulizing system and have found that the best procedure is to raise the trailer (I have an electric crank), release the Andersen, lower the hitch to release the ball. At that point I often have to put the truck in Drive and let it go forward just until tight, then the latch releases easily. Then raise the tongue until the trailer is clear of the ball. Works every time.
Thanks so much for the tip.
I've tried that and it worked pretty good. My only concern is when I have to raise the trailer and the cupler is holding the ball. Do you know if there's a risk on damaging the system somehow after doing this many times?

I had previous issues braking a jack in my old tent trailer because the coupler was holding the ball still and I did't realize that and I over did it. " I know,, silly me" but that's why Im asking, I don't have to replace the jack on this new one, or even worse, having to damage the latch and won't be able to hold the ball again.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Once in awhile I have to fiddle with it. Sometimes I use the truck to get it tight and then release it, sometimes just fiddling up and down with the tongue jack will do it. The most often times it is stuck? When the truck and trailer aren't perfectly straight.

I too disconnect the friction plate and spring bars prior to this, to me this is the only way that makes sense, but its how they showed me to do it at the dealer.
Yes, you are right,, that is the correct procedure to unhitch it. I follow it too, I guess the issue that I had is that not all the time I'm perfectly straight and it is hard to unhitch in an angle
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoy View Post
I've had the same problem with mine, and have learned to put forward pressure on the hitch. It then releases easy. I use to fight it.
Thanks for the tip.

Tags
coupler, latches, unhitch