Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #61
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by noezoom View Post
After discussing this with y'all, the seed has been planted for this possibility. I have to process it for a bit. At least I wouldn't have to worry about weight issues.
Be careful about that. Going to a 1-ton dually doesn't remove the weight considerations. There are definitely trailers too heavy for these trucks.

Just know that with a 1-ton dually, you open the door to a lot more trailers than you would have access to with a smaller truck.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #62
notanlines

"Ford now provides a larger fuel tank of 48 gallons on the F350 models (2020, 2021)."I think that goes back to 2017. Should have been done years go on all trucks.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #63
jimborokz

So heading to our Southern location for the winter I decided to hit the scales. We were fully loaded with all the cloths and gear we could possibly think we might use this winter, along with our Champion generator and full aux fuel tank. Worst case scenario.
Can't think of anything we could have added other than a large dog to replace the dachshund we lost last summer.
As I had suspected we were a bit overweight. Couple hundred on payload and 500 on GCVW. I was ok on both axle ratings and the truck was handling good so we continued to our destination. We were over half way there.
Long story short I'm now looking for a dually. Problem is nobody has any inventory. I won't move the rig again till spring so I have some time to work with. I'm favoring the 450 because of the turning radius but if I find a 350 first it's ok, either will do the job. Meanwhile if I have to move it with the SRW I'll store the genny and leave the aux tank empty along with some tools I really don't need to have along.
Point is to the OP, if you're going FT you will surely nearly max out the trailer, I was about 250 lbs short of the trailer gross. It just happens.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #64
noezoom

Thanks for all the info, everyone. After accepting the fact that getting a fifth wheel means we will be better off with a dually, we are 'weighing' our options again. We have found that there are quite a few travel trailers in the 10 to 12k GVWR range that we could safely pull with an F350 SRW. And since they seem to be more affordable than fifth wheels, they could be the thing.
noezoom is offline   Reply With Quote