Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
bill-e

Reversing the polarity of the Awning switch

I have a '15 Cougar 26RBI with Solera awning. On anything but shore power, and even with that, the awning struggles to roll up. I have had to continue in the Extend direction to roll the awning up a couple of times. Batteries are brand new and fully charged as I've just converted to a pair of T105's...not the batteries. Going in the Extend direction the awing rolls up without struggling.

I checked the wiring and everything looks good both at the switch and the remote board and the issue is the same whether or not I use the switch or the remote.

My question is if anyone knows if the motor is geared the same for extend and retract? As I'm writing this I guess I should also call Keystone and see if they think that it's a bad motor and if that is under warranty.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
bobbecky

Unless your rig is less than a year old, might as well save your time and frustration calling Keystone. The Solera product is actually Lippert, and it may be warranted longer than a year, but if it is, it will only be direct from Lippert. You might give them a call. http://www.lci1.com/solera-power-awning
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Campy

It's not geared any different but simply has a reversible motor. My 2014 struggles to come in because it's compressing the gas cylinders that hold it upright.
But did I read that right that you continued to extend the awning rolling it up backwards and that seems easier? That should make no difference but you don't want to store it or travel that way.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
bill-e

I have the pistons as well but that doesn't explain why it doesn't struggle when rolled up in the "extend" direction.

Lippert never responded to my email.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote