Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
johnnyringo

Refrigerator question from a newbie

We are heading out tomorrow for our first trip with our Bullet 22RBPR. I will starting the frig on gas this evening to get it cold before we load it in the AM.
We put several bottles of frozen water in the frig and freezer to help in the cooling start up.

How long can I reasonably expect a 20# propane bottle will last just running the fridge?

How many have gone to 30# bottles? We will do very little dry camping, but will be using the propane to keep things cool while moving from campground to campground.

Thanks, JR
Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

With only fridge and cooking your 20# bottle will last a surprisingly long time. Using the furnace is the culprit that uses the most LP. Even hot water on LP is very efficient. Enjoy your trip and don't worry about LP ... you will be surprised how little you will use.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
steve eboe

no worries

You can go a long time just running the refrigerator.
We've done several long-distance trips--Wisconsin to Florida, Wisconsin to Nevada, etc. on one tank of propane running the refrigerator all the way.
And had enough propane left for several nights of dry camping!
steve eboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
GaryWT

We keeps ours plugged in and cool on electric but do use gas when traveling. Gas does last for a long time. While camping we use gas for cooking and hot water while showering and are still on the same 2 20# tanks since heating season. I think we are at 31 nights total so far.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
bsmith0404

A lessoned I learned the hard way, always run the fridge to cool it down prior to loading (which you're doing) load it with items cooled in the house fridge (which is pretty normal) DO NOT add a bunch of items not pre-cooled in the refrigerator, such as soda or water bottles. We made the mistake once of buying a bunch of soda/water bottles after arriving at the campground and loaded them into the refrigerator warm. It wasn't long and the refrigerator was up over 50 degrees. We had to pull items from ours and load up my parents refrigerator to keep them from spoiling. It took our refrigerator about a day to catch up, cool the drinks and maintain temps so we could reload our other items. Yes I could have removed the drinks, but the damage was already done and I had to pull out anything that could spoil, so I just left the drinks in there.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC one of our techs tested just for kicks. Running just the refer, a 20# cylinder lasted about 30 days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #7
johnnyringo

Good info! Thanks to all. Heading out in a few hours for a 30 day trip to MI.
Hoping to find cooler temps! ;-)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Good info! Thanks to all. Heading out in a few hours for a 30 day trip to MI.
Hoping to find cooler temps! ;-)
GOOD LUCK finding lower temps in Michigan !!! The 5 day forecast for the northern part of the lower peninsula is at/above 90 every day. That might seem "cool" for someone from Florida, but we're used to seeing highs in the lower 80's with nights in the 50's this time of year.

Bring a sweater for the evenings, but shorts for the daytime !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #9
johnnyringo

Update! Went to the trailer this AM to finalize the loading. First thing, the slide would barely creep out. Dead battery! Next frig light was flashing "check". I assumed the frig quit when it ran out of gas, then the battery went dead trying to restart the frig. Switched tanks and plugged trailer into the TV. Turned frig off, then back on and the check light went out.

Home now for final load. Will check again when we get back to hook up.
Will post what I find when I get in this evening.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

If the flame goes out, it will only try to relight 3 times. After that the check light will come on and the ignition circuit is dead.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If the trailer was in storage and not connected to electrical power, chances are the battery was dead and that is the source of your "check light". Even with the "OEM electrical cutoff switch" in the OFF position, there is a parasitic drain on the battery that will deplete the charge in a week or so.

If you connected the trailer to the tow vehicle and the refrigerator started properly, the "dead" battery was your problem. As for the refrigerator igniter circuit, there is a "safety interlock" system on the control board. The refrigerator will "attempt ignition" three times, then it will "shut down" and display the check light. That's a "safety feature" that prevents repeated attempts to ignite, each attempt adding more propane to the confined space. Without the "three attempt limit" you could, if conditions were "all wrong", add enough propane to the space to create an explosive condition. So, after three tries, the system shuts down.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
RICamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As for the refrigerator igniter circuit, there is a "safety interlock" system on the control board. The refrigerator will "attempt ignition" three times, then it will "shut down" and display the check light. That's a "safety feature" that prevents repeated attempts to ignite, each attempt adding more propane to the confined space. Without the "three attempt limit" you could, if conditions were "all wrong", add enough propane to the space to create an explosive condition. So, after three tries, the system shuts down.
As a newbie, my question is...after three times, the system shuts down > how do you "restart" the system?
Equalizer Hitch System
RICamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just turn it off and back on again. If you corrected what was keeping it from lighting, it should start up.

Repeat as necessary, but the bottles need gas and the battery can't be dead! Have fun on your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you're coming in on I-70, I would just take I-270 N and go around the north side of St Louis. Personally, I don't mind taking 70 straight through, it's not bad at most times of the day. I would definitely avoid 64 until you're on the IL side of the river, just jump on 255 to get to it. If you do take 70 straight through, be watching for the exit for IL. They opened a new bridge about 2.5-3 years ago and many GPS's do not have the updated routes.
Bsmith0404 has it right. Just stay on 70 and in the right lane. Do not get on the express lanes if they are open! The Illinois exit is on the right just after the St. Louis Avenue exit. You'll cross the Stan Musial bridge and then go a couple of miles and exit to the right to merge onto 64 east. This is much easier than taking 40/64 at Wentzville. At the time of day you're going through the morning commuters will be long gone. Have a safe trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICamper View Post
As a newbie, my question is...after three times, the system shuts down > how do you "restart" the system?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICamper View Post
To "restart" the system, just turn the refrigerator off, then turn it back on. If you're connected to shore power, the refrigerator will select "electricity" as the source. Push the AUTO/GAS button, the light will go out and you'll hear the igniter circuit start attempting to light the flame. If you're not connected to shore power, turn the refrigerator off, then turn it back on, the refrigerator will automatically select propane and you'll hear the igniter circuit start attempting to light the flame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-03-2016, 04:15 AM   #15
johnnyringo

Arrived St. Augustine safe and sound. Removed suspect propane bottle and it had only used .7 gal of propane. It was the battery that caused the failure.
Thanks to all for the sage advice. You folks are great!!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #16
johnnyringo

We have arrived in MI and are enjoying the cooler, dryer weather. Twice on the trip up, the fridge had shut down/failed during the day as we were towing to our next destination. It restarted without issue when I turned it off, then on.

Frustrating that we cannot trust it to keep the freezer below freezing!

Any idea what the cause might be?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
We have arrived in MI and are enjoying the cooler, dryer weather. Twice on the trip up, the fridge had shut down/failed during the day as we were towing to our next destination. It restarted without issue when I turned it off, then on.

Frustrating that we cannot trust it to keep the freezer below freezing!

Any idea what the cause might be?
While it's entirely possible that you've got a defective refrigerator control board that's causing the problem, if it were me, I'd first check to make sure the "baffle" around the burner box base is positioned correctly. There is a "shroud" around the actual burner (which is not much more than a pilot light sized flame). As such, it can easily be "blown out" by a passing semi (or by you passing one). Once the flame is out, it may not relight with the turbulent air around the burner box, especially if the shroud isn't properly positioned.

Take the rear vent cover off and have a look at what's on the lower right side of the back of your refrigerator. You might find a loose screw or a bent burner shroud. Otherwise, clean the burner and if that doesn't help, then once you're back home, get the electronic control board checked. My personal preference for a replacement board is Dinosaur Electronics, not Dometic. The after market board from Dinosaur seems to be "built better" with more Glyptol to seal the electronics. Whether that's true or not, my experience with Dinosaur is that they "last longer" than the OEM boards.

Good Luck,

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS