Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Anson9110

Quick plumbing/Anti-freeze question please?

Looking for some help with a quick question about what my 2 low point drains in my plumbing should look like after running pink anti-freeze through the system. I drained the fresh water and ran anti-freeze through the system last week and just checked the low point drains behind the steps and they are clear... not pink like I remember last year after buying the camper (winterized already). Does this mean the anti-freeze leaked out or does the liquid stay higher up in the system until it's drained? Promise this will be it for the questions.
Anson9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

I believe, if you haven't openned them, you should open the low point (2) drain valves until you see the AF.

Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
howard

Winterizing

You are correct they should be pink.
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
outwest

Sounds like you still had water in the lines. Steps sometimes forgotten include: opening faucets inside and out to assist with the draining, emptying the hot water tank, opening the low point drains, running pink through all the faucets, running pink through the black tank flush system (that wouldn't affect the low point drains, but included it simply because it's often overlooked).

The only time I've seen the pink no longer be pink is when there's a filtration system in place that is filtering out the colorant (such as a filtration system at kitchen sink). Even then, it'd only be filtering it before it goes into the grey tank.

Something else that affects the color is how you added the pink. Did you put it in the freshwater tank gravity fill or did you use an antifreeze inlet (either a port outside or line at pump, depending on how rig is plumbed)? If added to freshwater tank, there might have still been some water in the tank. Even if you drained the tank, you never fully get it empty.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

X3 ... They should be pink .... open them and what water is left should drain out and you should see pink from both lines. Better to ask questions than to have damage from freezing water lines and fixtures. ... explain how you winterized????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
kellydog98

This may seem silly, but here's one thought...did you put enough 'pink' anti-freeze down the drains? Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydog98 View Post
This may seem silly, but here's one thought...did you put enough 'pink' anti-freeze down the drains? Good Luck.
Any RV "pink stuff" that you should pour down the drains and into the P-traps should not find its way to the low point drains. Those low point drains are part of the FW hot and cold water lines not the sinks, shower or toilet drains.

(Sorry if I have misunderstood you post which could suggest that the low point drains have something to do with the "drains". ???)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
GaryWT

I am guessing that you opened the low point drains when draining the water. Did you open them again when you were pumping antifreeze. Just like you open each faucet until you see pink come out, you need to open each drain until the pink comes out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
kellydog98

(Sorry if I have misunderstood you post which could suggest that the low point drains have something to do with the "drains". ???)[/QUOTE]

Yup Festus2, I should have said the FW instead of drains, my bad.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Anson9110

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to open them and let them drain until pink comes out. I didn't keep them open when I was pumping antifreeze through it. Heading around the lake lake now... It's cold up here!! Thanks again everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Anson9110

Very good advice.. thanks.

So that was it... just unscrewed the caps slightly and they quickly turned pink and let the remaining water out. Sorry that I called them low point drains... didn't know what else to call them. I can see something like this causing some problems for people come spring. I took the caps off to drain the system last week, kept the caps off for at least half an hour, put the caps back on and ran AF through the system. Today I found at least 3'' of water just above the caps in the lines and I am going to assume this would have frozen over the winter. Don't know where the water would have come from but very glad I checked and thought to get advice here. Thanks again, Anson.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
GaryWT

Glad you took care of it and found the solution. They are called low point drains but part of the fresh water system.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
{tpc}

This seems like a proper thread to post another question in, since it relates to the same topic.

I watched the keystone winterizing video, and decided to basically do both methods, blow water out with air, and pump antifreeze into the lines.

My question is about opening the low point drains again until the pink stuff comes out. I know I didn't do this. I do know I blew air through the lines for quite awhile until I didn't much of anything come out of the low point drains anymore. When I pumped in the antifreeze I made sure that pink come out of both hot and cold sides of every faucet , toilet, and shower head, and poured some additional into all p-traps.

Do you think this will be ok? Or the next time the weather permits, should I pull it out of storage and pull the low point drains and pump in some more antifreeze?

I was hoping for at least one more warm day I could do an additional cleaning, but I had prepared for it to stay in storage if not, ie pulled everything out, pulled out battery..etc etc.