Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Metal valve stems by length

Had great chrome plated steel valve stems from Billet Industries on the last tt but they are too short for the current rims. Looking for steel or brass valve stems that are about 1 1/8" from the outside mounting surface to the end of the uncapped stem. I do not like/trust the aluminum stems that I am using now as they only seal on one side and cannot be made tight enough so they do not turn when installing the flow through sensors.
Seems like the the vendors I have found like giving overall length instead of length from a given datum. The above length is so that my sensors fit on but stick out the least. Thanks for any help.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Had great chrome plated steel valve stems from Billet Industries on the last tt but they are too short for the current rims. Looking for steel or brass valve stems that are about 1 1/8" from the outside mounting surface to the end of the uncapped stem. I do not like/trust the aluminum stems that I am using now as they only seal on one side and cannot be made tight enough so they do not turn when installing the flow through sensors.
Seems like the the vendors I have found like giving overall length instead of length from a given datum. The above length is so that my sensors fit on but stick out the least. Thanks for any help.
Oddly enough, I bought a set of stems from Advance Auto Parts that is a stem that is designed to accept a snap on sensor inside the tire. These are OEM grade stems, just like you'd see on a new vehicle, except there is no sensor attached on the inside. Box of four for $12.99, you can't go wrong. Seems like they should be more, but again it's just the bolt in valve stem. No sensor. I had Discount install them when I had the new Carlisles installed on a set of new Sendel wheels a few months ago. See link below.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...earchTerm=TPMS
Old 11-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Those are the ones that I have. In the picture, the one on the left is the type I want only longer. It is steel and not thin aluminum and has two seals instead of one. The aluminum one is too long which results in too much sensor sticking out beyond the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76604003-A1FD-4856-844E-BE59D9F3B9FE.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	30980  
Old 11-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Quote:
Those are the ones that I have. In the picture, the one on the left is the type I want only longer. It is steel and not thin aluminum and has two seals instead of one. The aluminum one is too long which results in too much sensor sticking out beyond the tire.
I had ordered a set of the ones you show on the left - the threads were too loose, any tightening would end up in stripped threads. I returned them. Others online wouldn't fit into the shoulder of the valve hole. I was also trying to stay as low profile as possible. The flow-through sensors are much taller than my sensors. I was also concerned about the aluminum. I looked them over and saw that the thread area is longer than a normal hex nut so I felt comfortable with the amount of metal-to-metal thread contact there. Discount torques them down to a pre-set torque per the install instructions. I understand your situation and hope you find the stems you're looking for.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
bobbecky

We had the stems that are held in with the double nuts inside the wheel. I say HAD, because over a couple years, we had a couple failures with the tires deflating, sometimes while rolling down the road. Fortunately our TPMS alerted us and we were able to get off the road before tire damage was done and I could put the spare on. The last of those stems are now gone, and all are the type that have the nut on the stem on the outside. I believe the stems are about 1 1/2" long from the gasket out to the end of the threaded end of the stem, just enough threads to screw on the sensors for the TPMS. A couple of them were from Discount Tire and the others from Les Schwab Tire, and I'm sure there are other shops that can supply the stems you are looking for.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #6
ChuckS

I have these...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH9...iABEgIpFfD_BwE

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:21 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Those are very similar if not identical to the ones that came on my wheels from Keystone. The one on the steel spare is identical without the plating, it is brass.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
QCMan
Gone Traveling

The local NAPA store has both the 90416 ( 1.44") and 90438 ( 1.50") stems in stock. I need to go there and measure them as NAPA, like everyone else, gives overall length which is a totally useless dimension for determining how much sticks out.
I had the double nut ones on my previous trailer for five years with no issues and no air loss. Maybe there are some chrome plated brass ones out there that do not have the thread strength the steel ones do.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Ok, went to NAPA, the 90416 is close enough to what I need as it is only .100 longer than the minimum needed. However, it has a 14mm nut which is only .020 narrower across the points than the counterbore in the wheel. Even my thinnest wall socket has more meat on it than that. Somehow I do not think I am the only one that has these rims. Might have to take them to a machine shop and have the counterbore opened up.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Ok, went to NAPA, the 90416 is close enough to what I need as it is only .100 longer than the minimum needed. However, it has a 14mm nut which is only .020 narrower across the points than the counterbore in the wheel. Even my thinnest wall socket has more meat on it than that. Somehow I do not think I am the only one that has these rims. Might have to take them to a machine shop and have the counterbore opened up.
That counterbore was my problem. My options were very limited as well so I ended up with the ones you already have.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Went to advance auto parts to see if they had different length aluminum valve stems of the kind referenced above in the link. What a wonderful experience! Gave them the part number and asked to see them. Nope, cant pull them off the shelf if I don't tell them what vehicle they are for. Told them it doesn't matter, I gave the part number an I would like to see them for comparison. Nope, no vehicle, no parts. Period. So ok, I tell them it is for a 2020 Cougar 23RBS. They look it up and tell me there is no Cougar made in 2020. I tell them it is a travel trailer and they said they do not sell anything for trailers and I have to go to a place 45 miles away that probably has what I want. Asked for the manager and it seems I was talking to the manager. Told him what he could do with his store and he asked if there was anything else he could help me with as I stormed out the door. Boy do I miss counter people that know what they are doing!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Went to advance auto parts to see if they had different length aluminum valve stems of the kind referenced above in the link. What a wonderful experience! Gave them the part number and asked to see them. Nope, cant pull them off the shelf if I don't tell them what vehicle they are for. Told them it doesn't matter, I gave the part number an I would like to see them for comparison. Nope, no vehicle, no parts. Period. So ok, I tell them it is for a 2020 Cougar 23RBS. They look it up and tell me there is no Cougar made in 2020. I tell them it is a travel trailer and they said they do not sell anything for trailers and I have to go to a place 45 miles away that probably has what I want. Asked for the manager and it seems I was talking to the manager. Told him what he could do with his store and he asked if there was anything else he could help me with as I stormed out the door. Boy do I miss counter people that know what they are doing!
WOw! I'm shocked they treated you like that. When I saw these online the night before my Discount appointment to have the Carlisles put on, I ordered them for pickup the next morning. I guess because they were bought and paid for there was no chance for questions. But, I have picked up V-Belts from them before by size, not by make/model because I told them it wasn't for a vehicle. I'm sorry you were treated like that. Really pisses me off. Anyway, here's mine installed. I have a deep counterbore so I wasn't able to measure them. Two images.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	31002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	31003  
Old 12-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Wow Bill, those counterbores are even deeper than the ones on my rims. I will take a pic in the morning or whenever I get up. I did talk to the lead tech support at TST and he said the aluminum ones were ok with two caveats: short as possible and use dielectric grease on the threads to keep them from welding to each other with corrosion. He said to be careful to keep it on the threads only as it would not play well with the sensor workings. Tomorrow is a trip to the tire shop to see if they have options on length. Got po'ed enough after going to advance that I needed to chill on the swing and watch what really matters, the wildlife in the yard. My favorite deer family came by and made it all better. All of about 50 feet away as they munched on some pecans I threw out for them. Used to watch our resident fox but after 11 years and 7 litters she is no more.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
Bill-2020

Quote:
Wow Bill, those counterbores are even deeper than the ones on my rims. I will take a pic in the morning or whenever I get up. I did talk to the lead tech support at TST and he said the aluminum ones were ok with two caveats: short as possible and use dielectric grease on the threads to keep them from welding to each other with corrosion. He said to be careful to keep it on the threads only as it would not play well with the sensor workings. Tomorrow is a trip to the tire shop to see if they have options on length. Got po'ed enough after going to advance that I needed to chill on the swing and watch what really matters, the wildlife in the yard. My favorite deer family came by and made it all better. All of about 50 feet away as they munched on some pecans I threw out for them. Used to watch our resident fox but after 11 years and 7 litters she is no more.
DW feeds the squirrels and birds in the back yard daily. The tree residents will bark at her until she tosses the seeds and peanuts out there. Talk about spoiled!

BTW - you and I have a bit in common. I'm not the QC/QA inspector, but I've been involved in the quality of manufacturing for the past 30 years in various ways of the production facility. (electronic, electromechanical and mechanical contract manufacturing)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #15
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Yup, seems like we do have a bit in common. For just over 15 years I owned a machine shop along with having the day job. We got lucky and landed some good jobs from custom boat builders, mostly sailboat parts but also made motor slides for some powerboat racers. Even got to make a few parts for high end racing sailboats as our specialty was working in stainless. Made thousands of surfboard and kayak fins at a separate facility to keep the nasty dust controlled. Changed jobs to a big job shop and their work overlapped with what my shop was doing but they had a no competition clause in their contract so we came to an agreement and they bought my shop. Actually took a big time burden off of me and we started going more places in our rv again.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Here is my setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9A990853-6AF5-41BD-BB1E-58694C865A81.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	31006   Click image for larger version

Name:	B1E98DDB-1A6B-445C-960C-4DB5DD89C335.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	31007  
Old 12-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
Tireman9

Check our eBay. There are many bolt in valve stems.

Side note that Aluminum ones need to have some never seize on the threads. The chrome plated brass (not steel) ones are stronger than the aluminum ones.
DOn't know what the torque spec is on the aluminum stems but the brass stems like TR 416, 435 or TR413 have a torque spec on the nuts of 25 - 45 in-lbs.
All these dimensions and specs are published in the US Tire & Rim yearbook (copies sometimes also on eBay)
Old 12-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #18
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Thanks Tireman9. Been looking everywhere and I now have a bunch of valve stems that I purchased one of to see if they would work. With a .625 diameter counterbore I do not have many choices. Had the double nut ones on the last tt but they were too short for these rims so I ordered three different ones on line and they were too long by varying degrees. Ordered an assortment of front nut stems and there was not enough room in the counterbore to tighten them. Never got to my tire dealer today to see if they have different lengths in the aluminum ones but will tomorrow. And Truck Systems Technology does recommend dielectric grease used sparingly on the threads to inhibit corrosion if their units are used on aluminum.