Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Trapshooter

City water

I just purchased a Cougar 21RBS last July and have camped with it three times since. it is a nice camper and we are enjoying it very much. last trip this past weekend after returning from a day long hike we noticed that water was pouring out of our docking station through the storage tank overflow vent. the valve was set to "city water". Correct me if I am wrong but when set to city water there should be no water entering the freshwater storage tank? Yet our electronic indicator board inside the trailer tells us that the storage tank was 100% full.

Has anyone experienced this? I assume the valve is either mislabeled or broken in some way.

Please advise.

Thanks
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Alpine

Yes it does happen all too often. Should it? No! Water back-pressure is pushing through your water pump a filling your fresh water holding tank! I fixed mine by purchasing a "sharkbite" check valve and placing it in the water line between the freshwater holding tank and the water pump. Problem solved. Obviously make sure you install it with the water flowing the proper direction... have the arrow on the sharkbite coming from the fresh water tank, pointing towards the water pump.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...FVw6TwodYsAMiw

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Trapshooter

Thanks for the advice. even though I have a pressure regulator on the water line it's interesting that this can happen.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
bobbecky

I made the same repair when ours did the same thing a while back. The water pump has a check valve, and that is what failed. By installing another check valve, it takes over for the failed one in the water pump. If you ever have a need to replace the water pump, there will be no reason to remove the extra check valve. The photo below shows the check valve added in the lower left of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	14315  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Desert185

That’s a good backup mod. It also highlights why its a good idea to turn off the pump and shut off the water supply when away from the trailer. Imagine if the leak were inside the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
jimthemosaicguy

First time RV owner.
2016 Fuzion 416

Same issue 8 mos ago and actually fixed the problem. Now, started

again this week. Will investigate tomorrow.

My First time steps...
1. Turned off electricity and battery, turned off water & open low drains.
2. Found water pump (under steps behind storage wall)
3. Instant surprise - I found a wireless subwoofer that I didn’t know I had.
4. Took pic of pump prior to dismantling.
5. Removed screws - careful different sizes.
6. Separated each of the sections shown in diagram
7. Wiped off some sediment. (Still surprised about the subwoofer)
8. On the inside of the #1 upper assembly noticed something that resembled a button and a very small round gasket partially lodged on the little gap.
9. Very gently pressed the button and heard a little snap. The gasket was gone.
10. Reassembled the pump, turned power and water, made sure switch turned to city water.
11. Viola! No running water into the fresh tank!!

About 2 wks ago I flushed out the hot water tank and week later the problem started again. Water running out of the fresh water fill valve despite having the switch turned to city water. I’m going to investigate this weekend and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
jimthemosaicguy

Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Any sand/grit/sawdust (or other foreign matter) that gets into the pump will cause the pumphead to leak and/or not pump properly. ALL (Sureflo and Flojet) sell (and recommend) using an inlet strainer with their pumps. This is an "optional" OEM device but Keystone doesn't install a strainer on any of their products (that I know of, anyway).

I'd recommend an inlet strainer be used between the fresh water tank and the pump on all installations. It's a $10 device and will save the pump head from "self destruction" should there be sand/grit or sawdust (it's there, trust me) that is either left over from Keystone's manufacturing process or from "gritty water" at a campground.

Don't forget to clean the filter screen during winterizing.

Here's the link to the FloJet strainer. It simply "clips onto the pump and the FW tank hose clips onto the strainer (just like it did to the pump). No alterations and no modifications required. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...+pump+strainer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FLOJET PUMP STRAINER.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	14323  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Trapshooter

Great point
Old 10-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Any sand/grit/sawdust (or other foreign matter) that gets into the pump will cause the pumphead to leak and/or not pump properly. ALL (Sureflo and Flojet) sell (and recommend) using an inlet strainer with their pumps. This is an "optional" OEM device but Keystone doesn't install a strainer on any of their products (that I know of, anyway).

I'd recommend an inlet strainer be used between the fresh water tank and the pump on all installations. It's a $10 device and will save the pump head from "self destruction" should there be sand/grit or sawdust (it's there, trust me) that is either left over from Keystone's manufacturing process or from "gritty water" at a campground.

Don't forget to clean the filter screen during winterizing.

Here's the link to the FloJet strainer. It simply "clips onto the pump and the FW tank hose clips onto the strainer (just like it did to the pump). No alterations and no modifications required. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...+pump+strainer
I installed that strainer, after seeing it mentioned in a thread on here.

Took more time to remove all the screws on the access cover than it did to install the strainer.

-Brian
Old 10-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
FYI...Today I happened to remove the panel exposing my water pump to study the pump and plumbing in preparation for winterizing my Laredo 288RL later this month. I was pleasantly surprised to see Keystone DID INSTALL the inlet strainer on the SHURflo pump.

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
jimthemosaicguy

This is a follow up from post #6. Yesterday, I unscrewed the upper housing and it was the exact same issue. This time I took a pic. If you zoom in you can see a small loop stuck. All I did was lightly press the center and it snapped out of sight. Reconnected, hooked up to city and didn’t hear any leaking into the fresh water tank. Hopefully I won’t find the water overflowing tonight when I get home.

Name:	IMG_3743.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	14415

Tags
water