Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Scott in Michigan

Snow Load

Here's a question for my fellow northerners.

I have to store our 32RLI outside this winter. It's fully winterized and covered with a commercial RV cover.

Our first snowfall of the season left very close to 11" of white stuff. Other areas were worse off so I'm not complaining, too much.

How much snow load do you let accumulate before removing it?

What is your tested method of snow removal?

Thank you,

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
skids

Well, here is the issue, if you don't remove it, it could partially melt and refreeze which makes subsequent snow removal a royal PITA. It is best to remove that when you can. Also, there are heavy snows and light snows that have different desnities. I removed an 11 inch deep layer a week ago that was medium to light density. No problem with that concerning what the trailer can handle. I use a shop broom an drag it towards me (for the most part) while on a ladder.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Brantlyj

I intend to use a broom to push the snow off every time it snows. Where it’s parked it’s blocked from sunlight part of the day. I could see it having a partial melt and then a refreeze at night potentially breaking something Just easier to stay on top of it.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
Brentw

I have only cleared mine of a couple times in many years, had an abnormal amount of snow ( couple ft or so) then a warm spell, snow pack got pretty heavy. Usually it is blown off or melts. I normally park nose down to assist in run off. P.S , plastic is pretty brittle up there.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

RV's around here that are parked outside typically accumulate 2-3 feet of snow pack on the roof. I haven't heard of or seen any that were damaged from that much snow... As stated, the plastic items on your roof will be extremely brittle at below freezing temperatures and subject to damage if "tapped a bit too hard" by a broom or even a snow brush.

Additionally, using a broom to pull the snow off the roof usually means it piles next to the trailer. After a couple of times pulling the snow off the roof, it's going to be difficult to get a ladder close enough to the trailer to climb up for the next round of snow removal....

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about removing the snow unless it gets deeper than 3 feet or so. You stand a good chance of causing more damage trying to keep the snow cleared off the roof than the snow would do if you just leave it alone.....

I can assure you that none of the RV dealerships pay to keep the roofs clear, so chances are good that if you bought in the spring, your RV has already had "experience in handling snow on the roof".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
CrazyCain

i have kept mine up in Northern Michigan for the last 3 years and never cleared the snow off when i am up there, which is pretty much every other weekend.. Never a worry..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

So let me get this straight. Someone's going to carry out a ladder, thru 2 or 3 feet of snow, set it on frozen ground, climb up while wearing boots packed with snow, and lean against a snow/ice covered structure to pull snow on yourself?

No thanks, I'll take a pass on that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So let me get this straight. Someone's going to carry out a ladder, thru 2 or 3 feet of snow, set it on frozen ground, climb up while wearing boots packed with snow, and lean against a snow/ice covered structure to pull snow on yourself?

Only the first and/or second time. After that, you can't get the ladder close enough to the trailer to access the roof (because of the piled up snow around the trailer from pulling it off the roof).... So, chip away at the ice and snow for a day or two, get the ladder close enough and then "pull it back on yourself again" (as it replaces the pile you just moved to get the ladder in place)....

As you said, "No thanks, I'll take a pass on that." ME TOO !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As you said, "No thanks, I'll take a pass on that." ME TOO !!!!!
March 19, 2019 - on the Continental Divide. A double "no thank you!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3714 2019-03-16 Corruption, CO snow.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	24332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713 2019-03-16 Corruption, CO snow.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	24333  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^^Ha! And therein lies the reason I no longer visit my mountain home in the winter. Counter productive; to get in, shovel snow from the stairs and deck after clearing the driveway. To get out; shovel snow off the stairs and deck as well as the path to the garage. Used to be fun decades ago; don't need it anymore. Performing that exercise to clean an RV roof....nah.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Ha! And therein lies the reason I no longer visit my mountain home in the winter. Counter productive; to get in, shovel snow from the stairs and deck after clearing the driveway. To get out; shovel snow off the stairs and deck as well as the path to the garage. Used to be fun decades ago; don't need it anymore. Performing that exercise to clean an RV roof....nah.
I see John’s probably has a walkable roof. Marshall, not sure. Sourdough’s no idea. I would think that there could be some correlation between a “do not walk on” roof and a diminished engineering specification for snow load design (although not necessarily). This was my reason for removing the snow. I am with you concerning ladders. Me and ladders don’t get along — even in the summertime! My previous trailer was a walk-on Jayco and they recommended snow removal, so not knowing what Keystone recommends for my Bullet, that was my motivation for removing the snow. Living at 8800 feet elevation has its challenges.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I see John’s probably has a walkable roof. Marshall, not sure. Sourdough’s no idea. I would think that there could be some correlation between a “do not walk on” roof and a diminished engineering specification for snow load design (although not necessarily). This was my reason for removing the snow. I am with you concerning ladders. Me and ladders don’t get along — even in the summertime! My previous trailer was a walk-on Jayco and they recommended snow removal, so not knowing what Keystone recommends for my Bullet, that was my motivation for removing the snow. Living at 8800 feet elevation has its challenges.
Mine is not "walkable" but I don't think that makes a difference. I think there's a reason the factory doesn't provide a snow load calculation, it's unnecessary. Unlike a sticks & bricks house, the camper's roof framing span is only 8' or 6'6" max. I don't think there could be enough snow to collapse the structure. I can't say that with certainty because I've not researched it but I also have never heard of it happening either.

In some areas of the country (thinking Buffalo, NY) where they get 10+ feet of wet lake effect snows per year many people use "snow rakes", shovels, and even snow blowers on flat roofs on commercial buildings to remove the incredible amounts of snow. Snow rakes have very long handles and are used from the ground, not while standing on a ladder.

From my experience the flat roofs on commercial buildings are the most susceptible even thou they are typically rated much higher snow loading than a residential building.

The "thaw freeze" cycle affects them differently as the melting must go thru the snow to drain. The roof drains and or scuppers can freeze and hold the water on the roof. If it freezes along the way you have glacier on the roof that can be incredibly heavy. A camper, especially unoccupied/unheated would not have thawing from below. Radiant thawing from the sun is free to flow down the snow and roof and drain off, and unlike a S&B house you don't have gutters and downspouts to create an ice dam at the base.

As for Skids elevation,as very cold temperatures, in my experiences the higher the elevation the more "powdery" and "dry" the snow becomes. We have relatives that live on a mtn. top looking at Pike's Peak in Divide, CO. Their elevation is 10,800' ASL. They have never owned a snowblower. They mainly use a leaf blower to clear their deck and drive.

So where I live snow is typically heavy wet and often like a slushy Slurpee but doesn't stay around long. In any case, I wouldn't attempt to stand on a ladder in the snow while it's on frozen ground but then again I like to think that I've gained some common sense over the years.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
notanlines

The next time I see a dealership removing snow from ANY RV roof will be the FIRST time I've seen it. It simply doesn't happen.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

I'd rather use my insurance on the RV and not my health insurance for a broken leg, or worse.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
skids

Quote:
I'd rather use my insurance on the RV and not my health insurance for a broken leg, or worse.
LOL, have to agree with you there.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
KeystoneKal

I have owned six travel trailers, three new and three used over the past thirty years. All have been parked at seasonal sites in the snow belt of Northeast Ohio. I have never gone to the site in winter to remove snow and none have had roof leaks.
Out in some western states where the snow is measured in feet not inches remove roof snow might be an issue.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
Quiroule

Mine is parked at an open windy spot and I have never cleared snow off the roof in 10 years, no problem.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #18
mjsibe

Snow removal

I just use the back side of a broom
On an extension handle
Long painting pole extends to 18 ft
Pull off as much as I can
Just to lighten the load
5 or 6 inches I let it go
But big heavy snow I pull off
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
Canadian Len

I live in Manitoba and have never cleared the snow off the roof of the trailers we’ve owned. It all blows off when we leave for California after Christmas. ��
Canadian Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
CWtheMan

Are your snow covered trailers being supported by the tires? How many have suffered tire failures the next traveling season? Tire damage is cumulative and they are surely damaged when they are overloaded and just sitting there.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote