Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
JJaxon

It pays to do tire checks

Hooked up to my 2018 Carbon so I can drive from Indianapolis to Iowa to trade it in an a 2020 Fuzion 369. My Ram (14k miles) showed my front tire pressures were a bit low and its 23 degrees outside. As I hooked up and pulled out of the indoor storage I knew I had to check my toy hauler tires, so I plugged in my compressor and all 4 were almost normal, added a few pounds. Move to the truck tires and there it was, a nail right on top. Not plugable and firestone has it on the rack now. No one else stocks these tires. Storage place says they will pay for replacement. They have new buildings going up everywhere and I avoid those as much as possible. Good news is I'm eating at McCalisters while my tire is replaced instead of being on the side of the interstate in Illinois looking for a tire.
God is good, if we look hard enough. Pick up the new 369 tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_100012.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	25075  
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Hooked uptown my 2018 Carbon so I can drive from Indianapolis to Iowa to trade it in an a 2020 Fuzion 369. My Ram (14k miles) showed my front tire pressures were a bit low and its 23 degrees outside. As I hooked up and pulled out of the indoor storage I knew I had to check my toy hauler tires, so I plugged in my compressor and all 4 were almost normal, added a few pounds. Move to the truck tire sand there it was, a nail right on top. Not plugable and firestone has it on the rack now. No one else stocks these tires. Storage place says the will pay for replacement. They have new buildings going up everywhere and I avoid those as much as possible. Good news is I'm eating at McCalisters while my tire is replaced instead of being on the side of the interstate in Illinois looking for a tire.
God is good, if we look hard enough. Pick up the new369 tomorrow.
Good work

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
notanlines

I have to ask: I guess Firestone told you it couldn't be plugged?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Customer1

Glad it's working out for you but I think that can be patched, it looks far enough in from the edge. Maybe keep it as a spare?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
vampress_me

Can I ask why, if they told you, it wasn’t pluggable? Just curiosity on my part, I like to find out to file away for future reference.

Had a lag screw in a tire on our Explorer a little while ago in the same place complements of MnDOT and road work down in the Cities when I went to pick hubby up at the airport one night. Drove home that night (about 50 miles), found it the next morning, and it was still OK to plug.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
JJaxon

The Ram dealer and the tire store both said outside of the outer tread groove is too close to the sidewall and not plugable. $315 and I was on my way. Didnt make it to Iowa tonight, but I'm only 3 hours away now. A plug on a heavy tire and driving in snow at 29° tonight,,,, new tires peace of mind.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
travelin texans

Curious as well why it couldn't be plugged, but definitely appears it could've been patched.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

About a year and half ago I had a puncture in just about the same location. The tire was a 20" Pirelli Scorpion on the back of the 150 KR. I was planning on replacing the tires in 6 to 8 months.

The independent tire dealer close to me who sells and services tires on everything from a wheelbarrow to an 18 wheeler. Charged me $25 and that was with dismounting, properly installing a combo partch plug from the inside, remounting and rebalancing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If the "storage place is paying for the replacement tire" then I suppose there's not an out of pocket expense, you get a new tire and only spent a few bucks at McCallister's for lunch. Win/win for you.

That said, I'm with the previous posters when it comes to "pluggability" of that tire. The outer edge of the "zone" begins at the "cutout stipends" along the inside tread rib. In your photo, that looks to be around 1" further lateral than your puncture. It should be repairable, unless there's damage that's not disclosed in the photo.

At any rate, so long as it didn't cost you anything but lunch and an hour or so, that wasn't overly painful and nothing "permanently bent, banged or scratched"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
midmo

Thank you for sharing and glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the 369!!!
midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I always do a tire check before hitting the road.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
JJaxon

I do too now. On another incident, picked up said NEW 369 yesterday. Was 479 miles from home, 3pm, pull out of dealer lot and my tpms alarms. New 5th wheel left front tire- 35lbs. Should be 80psi. Pull back in, check it with my guage, 34lbs. I go inside the office and tell them I'm not gone yet.... a worker gets her air compressor and wheels it out, airs up all 4 at my direction. Said she didn't get a chance to do it earlier. �� A clue,,, theres more story for another day.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
Hblick48

When checking tires, also look at the inside of the tires. The attached is what I found on the inside after completing 1,000 mile trip. Another had side delamination without the tear. The third had a nail where the side and tread meet, and the forth (which had two punctures previously repaired) has tread separation.

Just lucky that we didn't have a blow out. These were load range F, rig originally shipped with load range E. I've now installed ALL STEEL load range G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_113821_Original.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	25090  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
Badbart56

Here ya go:

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-ma...ce/tire-repair

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Both punctures were repaired by one of the largest tire chains on the west coast. Very reputable and tires were dismounted and properly patched. A China bomb is still a China bomb!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Curious as well why it couldn't be plugged, but definitely appears it could've been patched.
Education for me, please.

I have understood that radials could not be plugged, only patched. Of course, my information is 40+ years old. All my punctures (to date) have been patched, and these have all been P tires, not LT.

What is different between a 40 year old radial (that, per my memory, can't be plugged) and the newer ones that can be plugged, or am I just improperly remembering?

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #17
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Both punctures were repaired by one of the largest tire chains on the west coast. Very reputable and tires were dismounted and properly patched. A China bomb is still a China bomb!
I got a set of new Goodyears on my truck last year. You know the ones with Kevlar. LOL
I went out and was looking at the numbers on the tire and was surprised to see they were made in Korea.
You may be surprised at where tires are made. With all this EPA crap we cant make some products here in America anymore. I guess tires is one of them.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post

I have understood that radials could not be plugged, only patched. Of course, my information is 40+ years old. All my punctures (to date) have been patched, and these have all been P tires, not LT.

What is different between a 40 year old radial (that, per my memory, can't be plugged) and the newer ones that can be plugged, or am I just improperly remembering?

Thanks.
I think the procedure has changed several times through the years. Initially, radials had nylon/polyester cords and could be plugged with a patch on the inside (and/or a plug through the puncture depending on size of the puncture), then steel belts were introduced and "plugging would further damage the steel belt" so it was patch on the inside only, then they realized the steel belts were exposed to corrosion through the "original puncture" so they developed a third process, internal patch with a "small, sealing plug through the puncture".

I could be way off-base, but I think that's "sort of" the way radial tire repair has evolved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post

Thanks.
I think first you have to define "plugged". If you're thinking then old "strips' of leather, rubber, or whatever with glue on it" then no. I wouldn't use them on anything.

My understanding is a combination patch/plug applied from inside the tire is the only "proper" repair. That "plug" will seal the hole, and the joint between the inner liner and where that tread is adhered to it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the procedure has changed several times through the years. Initially, radials had nylon/polyester cords and could be plugged with a patch on the inside (and/or a plug through the puncture depending on size of the puncture), then steel belts were introduced and "plugging would further damage the steel belt" so it was patch on the inside only, then they realized the steel belts were exposed to corrosion through the "original puncture" so they developed a third process, internal patch with a "small, sealing plug through the puncture".

I could be way off-base, but I think that's "sort of" the way radial tire repair has evolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think first you have to define "plugged". If you're thinking then old "strips' of leather, rubber, or whatever with glue on it" then no. I wouldn't use them on anything.

My understanding is a combination patch/plug applied from inside the tire is the only "proper" repair. That "plug" will seal the hole, and the joint between the inner liner and where that tread is adhered to it.
Thanks guys.

I guess the definition of plug has changed; I was thinking when they used to punch a larger hole in the tire and insert the plug from the outside. It makes much more sense the way you describe it. Nomenclature!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote