Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Salsaman1a

What about those mattresses

My 2016 Cougar X-LITE 30RLI came with this god awful mattress that couldn't support a cat. So I threw it out and bought a queen size blow up mattress that seems to do the trick for the time being. I just ignore the 5" of space on either side.
I ripped off the tag (Michiana Mattress, evergreen) said it was a king size 70"x74" which isn't a king and not a queen but a hybrid between the two. This is crazy. Am I the only one with this problem? I don't feel like spending $700+ for a custom mattress...............any ideas that wont break the bank?
Salsaman1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Lots of the folks on here have chosen different ways to replace their inferior OEM mattresses. I know you say you don't have time to spend the money or a custom mattress, but, we just didn't have the time to spend restless nights and then drag all day. For us the solution was to purchase a new residential mattress that has made a WONDERFUL difference. Ours is a standard 60x80 queen so we had lots of choices.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

I replaced my "camper" queen (60x75) mattress with a standard full (54x75) foam mattress that had great recommendations on Amazon for less than $200. I gave up 6 inches of width, but off the shelf sheets fit, I can still get by the foot of the bed and access both sides, and the mattress is far superior in comfort to the mattress that came with the camper.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
notanlines

Salsa, I'm afraid I don't have much in good news for you. Your "bought a queen size blow up mattress that seems to do the trick for the time being" statement probably set the old, feeble, bad-back, or just plain fussy people back ten years. Most of us would look at a blow-up mattress and immediately be on the phone with Holiday Inn Express.
I can assure you that more than half the RV's you see in parks and on the highway have a mattress that is inferior and an odd size.
And the news gets worse. Where would you ever find a custom size king/queen mattress for $700? There are camping people who doctor up their crappy mattresses with toppers and have some luck, but you threw yours away so you have nowhere to start. We shopped at a custom mattress factory in West Palm Beach and the top of the line for our RV (king) was $2100. Nope, you are correct, we are still sleeping on the piece of junk from the factory.
See? I told you I had no good news. And once you do find a solution you'll log back on here whining about buying sheets! God, how I love RV'ing!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 AM   #5
MarcS

I googled short queen mattress once. Found a great deal on Overstock for an 8" memory foam mattress. Tossed our old one.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Duramike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
I googled short queen mattress once. Found a great deal on Overstock for an 8" memory foam mattress. Tossed our old one.
Marc you are correct that RV sized mattresses are available online. Try overstock, Amazon, etc. We picked our RV mattress at Sam’s Club, if you are a member. The OP is right that most mattresses supplied in RV’s are not comfortable with some unusable! Good luck in your search and happy camping.
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
KeithBook

If you have a oddball sized mattress, I believe The Original Mattress Factory will make one to size for a small extra charge. www.originalmattress.com

For our Cougar 321RES, the mattress was lousy. We put a 3" memory foam topper on it and we like the combination.
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
DOWva

I got rid of the rv queen mattress that came with our 5th wheel and replaced it with a memory gel foam residential full size queen which is a 60X80 and we really enjoy sleeping on it.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
dstave01

My wife and I just replaced our camper King size mattress with a regular Queen size. We shopped around and ended up going with a foam Zinus off of Amazon and so far we think it's absolutely one the best decisions we made for our trailer. I cut down 6" from each side of the base that it lays on since the camper King was a little bigger. I think we made a good decision on this one. Here is a link to what we bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dstave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Alpine

We did this about two years ago and couldn't be happier!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70307426/

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
rsv4pilot

Check these guys out...

www.mattressinsider.com

Ordered ours the other day. Will update once We get it...
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Gegrad

I replaced ours with the pillow top of an extra queen mattress we had. It fit amazingly in our old passport. I swapped the old RV mattress back into it before I sold it and put the same pillow top in our Premier. It is a little long for the space in the Premier, so shimmying by the end is a little tighter, but it is well worth the it for the comfort. The plywood support underneath is just as good as it being on a box spring. I actually built a slight longer support and replaced the original support to provide slight more support, but otherwise it has been a godsend.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
rogeru

We just purchased a "short queen" mattress from Original Mattress Factory for a great price of $360., tax and all !! It's a regular firm, and feels great to both of us. The $360 figure includes making a "custom" size, (which is $50 more). Also, if you request it, they will make it a "hinged" type of mattress that is easier to get into the camper. Just an FYI from an older couple who quickly got tired of what seemed like just sleeping on the board part of the bed!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Eastham

Does keystone use different quality mattress in the xlite I have a 2016 cougar and the mattress is very comfortable it is about 6 inches thick.they call it a king size but I am not sure of that size.plenty big enough for us.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #15
KeithInUpstateNY

The mattress I bought on Amazon was the Best Price 10" memory foam mattress. Currently about $201 for the full and $210 for the queen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL2FU..._s4bbBbD3HJVAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
I replaced my "camper" queen (60x75) mattress with a standard full (54x75) foam mattress that had great recommendations on Amazon for less than $200. I gave up 6 inches of width, but off the shelf sheets fit, I can still get by the foot of the bed and access both sides, and the mattress is far superior in comfort to the mattress that came with the camper.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
ImTravis

Just ordered a Serene Mattress (10-inch memory foam) from CW for $150. They're having a crazy clearance sale on some of their mattresses (last years model).
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #17
LuvsPalmTrees

We were lucky to have a standard queen in our TT. The first thing we did was to go to Sams and buy a new Gel Foam mattress. Just like in the house. Threw the old one in the dumpster, put the new one in the TT and off we went.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #18
Stanbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4pilot View Post
www.mattressinsider.com

Ordered ours the other day. Will update once We get it...
I ordered from here as well. Great customer service on the phone and the price for a 72" x 80" x 8" (narrow King) Park Meadow Pocketed Coil RV Mattress II was $582. We received the mattress in about 10 days and it is really comfortable.

Do check out this company before buying any size mattress. Good prices and fast service. Plus they have a 120 day money-back guarantee. In most cases, you don't even have to ship it back to them if you are unhappy with their product. Just donate the mattress to a shelter or other charity and send them the proof of donation.
Stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
doxiluvr

We did about the same as you did, except we did buy a regular innerspring mattress on closeout. We had the so-called RV queen and went with a regular full-size mattress, as we needed the 75" length and did not want to spend $300+ on one. I had full-size sheets to use, but do use queen size also. Since we are not huge people, it has been fine. We had the original mattress for at least 10 years though (Sprinter 300FKBS) and it was comfortable, but after 10 years, it was getting too thin and hard. We are happy with our choice anyway. Might try a foam topper on it next year.
doxiluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #20
Glenda Clark

Gave my new plastic covered mattress to the dealer. Went and bought a queen pillow top. Had them put it in New Trailer I was picking up that morning.
The mattress that came with it was hard as cement , and wouldn't even be suitable for an inmate on death row.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress