Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Jetfixer03

Converter size

I plan to upgrade to twin T105 batteries on me 195rb, and I'm considering going with a PD9200 converter to go along with them. What are the considerations when selecting converter size? The smallest is a 45 amp, followed by a 60. Since my input sources are either 30 amp shore power or a 30 amp output from my generator is there any reason to go with bigger than the 45 amp converter?
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Jetfixer03

Re: Converter size

OK, I see now that the amperage rating refers to the maximum DC output amperage. So the two questions that come to mind are 1) how big of a converter can 30A shore power supply? 2) how much DC output do I need for robust battery charging capability and DC equipment usage? I realize that DC equipment usage is highly variable from user to user, but for this small trailer I'm trying to get an idea.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your current converter is most probably a 55 amp WFCO converter. It is sufficient for any battery bank size (within reason) and there's no requirement for you to upgrade converter/charger because you've upgraded to a "two 6 volt battery system".

From your question, it seems that you're "intermingling" your 12VDC system specs with your 120VAC specs. Your shore power cable/120VAC system is either 30 amps or 50 amps. That provides AC power to your trailer. The 12VDC system is not associated with those specifications(except that it is powered by 120VAC when you're plugged into shore power). There is no "direct link" in any requirement for converter size when using AC power. You can adequately operate a 45 amp, 55 amp or 65 amp converter/charger on either 30 amps or 50 amps of shore power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfixer03 View Post
OK, I see now that the amperage rating refers to the maximum DC output amperage. So the two questions that come to mind are 1) how big of a converter can 30A shore power supply? 2) how much DC output do I need for robust battery charging capability and DC equipment usage? I realize that DC equipment usage is highly variable from user to user, but for this small trailer I'm trying to get an idea.

All the converters I have seen (even big amp ones), run on a standard 20 amp AC circuit... so 30 or 50 amp service would be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter