Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
KJJ

Passport sewer hose storage gap or missing cap

Have a new Passport Express 238ML that doesn't have a rear bumper, but has a little door in the back of the trailer to access a storage "pipe". There is about a 6" gap between that door and the pipe, and the pipe may have some kind of threads on it but no cap. The dealer's setup guy told be that the hose could fall out and checked other similar units and found the same thing there. Any advise on this?
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
Have a new Passport Express 238ML that doesn't have a rear bumper, but has a little door in the back of the trailer to access a storage "pipe". There is about a 6" gap between that door and the pipe, and the pipe may have some kind of threads on it but no cap. The dealer's setup guy told be that the hose could fall out and checked other similar units and found the same thing there. Any advise on this?
Our 238ML had an access cap in the back frame piece. Theoretically a hose with the ends on it would not be able to fall out if the cap was on the other end of the hose holder. I never used mine. I had a larger hose and stored it in a container with a sewer support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
KJJ

I'm not sure what you are saying, Tbos. Why wouldn't a hose with the ends on it not be able to bounce into that 6" gap, bend down where 5"s of it is hanging in the air, then just keep catching the wind and moving with road bumps until it finally comes out, or gets bounced enough (or hit by stuff coming off the trailer tires) to have holes in it? The front end of the pipe is indeed closed off, but I gotta think there should have been a cap on the back of it.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying, Tbos. Why wouldn't a hose with the ends on it not be able to bounce into that 6" gap, bend down where 5"s of it is hanging in the air, then just keep catching the wind and moving with road bumps until it finally comes out, or gets bounced enough (or hit by stuff coming off the trailer tires) to have holes in it? The front end of the pipe is indeed closed off, but I gotta think there should have been a cap on the back of it.

Sorry to confuse you. The way my sewer hose is designed the ends and fittings are about 8" and stiff. I haven't measured though. If I had wanted to use that container I would have loaded it through the access in the back frame member. Not all hoses are that way and some probably could bounce and bend out. Mine was too long so I never tried it. I never tried but you could probably attach something to provide support there or to close it off. Then you could access it from the front removable cover. You could consider putting a piece of PVC or something similar in the hose that is long enough to go to the back frame member but not prevent you from closing the front of the container. Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
KJJ

Thanks Tom. Are you saying that your 238 also had this gap and no cap over it?

I only have the cheap hose from the starter kit right now, it only has the dump valve connection fitting on it. Have some upgrade possibilities but nothing decided yet. Not sure if the cover on the front of the pipe is removable or not, but wouldn't want to be crawling under the trailer to get the hose anyway.

Waiting on an answer from Keystone and/or my dealer on whether there should be a cap (since there ARE some kind of threads on that pipe) before I try to solve the problem myself, hoping somebody says "oh, huh, we'll send that cap out to ya. The dealer said they went back and checked out some other Express models on the lot and none of them had caps either, so not sure just what is going on with it.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Tbos

KJJ, my 238ML did not have a cap on the back end of the sewer hose storage.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
jsmith948

Well maybe it's just me, but, are you talking about a missing cap on a gap?
Maybe a picture would help?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Terrydactile

Passports come from the factory without the cap. My sewer hose travels in there and has never come out.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
KJJ

Thanks Terry & Tbos, is looking like they made it that way, no cap and a measured 5" between the end of the storage pipe and the access cap in the bottom plate in the back. Keystone got back to me with a useless replay - contact your dealer regarding missing parts - so I yanked my dealer's chain with an e-mail.

I looked closer at the end of the pipe, and it has a bayonet connection on the inside that a cap would fit into and secure with a 1" turn, but I have no idea where, other than Keystone, I could find a matching cap. Maybe 5" isn't enough to worry about, as Terry has found for him.

Hey Terry, what kind/length hose do you have?

KJ
Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
Terrydactile

I keep a Rhino 3" diameter by 10' long hose in mine. I leave the connector to hook the hose to the camper sewer outlet on mine. It rides against the bumper access cap. It has never fallen out.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
Tbos

KJJ, you should be able to find a cap if wanted at almost any dealer and possibly on line at CW or Amazon.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
KJJ

Bottom line, this is a Valterra 26" EZ Hose Carrier with only one end cap. The cap is the "Cap and Strap for EZ Hose Carrier, Black" costing under $8. Don't know why Keystone doesn't include the 2nd cap (which comes with the carrier) unless they realize many heavy duty 10' hoses wont fit unless you let it hang out the end, as Terry has successfully done.

Not sure what I am getting to replace the 10' starter kit hose yet, so don't know what storage I will need.

KJ
Old 07-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Ttree18

My 238ml is the same way. There is a cap in the flat bumper but not in the end of the tube. My Rhino hose doesn't fit in there anyway.
Ttree18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #14
Mike484

Anybody have a picture of this storage compartment? I have a Passport and have no idea what you are talking about, I keep mine in the bumper, and it has caps. Maybe the model I have doesn't have this storage compartment that "all Passports come with".

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #15
Tbos

Mike, not all passports have them. Some of the Express models don't have bumpers so they include it. My 2810 has a bumper and that is where I store it now.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
Mike484

yea, after I posted I went and looked at some pictures and saw more of what they are talking about.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote