Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Steve S

Low flow taps

Ok as most of us know and own are the low flow shower heads. My question is do they make a low flow kitchen tap?
I searched the forum and was actually surprised that I couldn't find anything
Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Believe it or not, there is "such an animal".... The new criteria is located here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/environ...635433474.aspx

If you do a Google search for "low flow kitchen faucet" you'll get a large number of faucets that meet the criteria.

Now, for my "personal opinion" of low flow faucets, if you're using the faucet to "run water" such as when rinsing dishes, it may be helpful, but how the heck do you keep the bath water warm if you're trying to fill the tub and it takes twice as long to get enough water in the tub to bathe?????? Plus, it would be "wasted time" waiting for the kitchen sink to fill deep enough to start washing dishes. Some things, like the 1 liter toilet flush and now "low flow faucets" may be as much a PITA as they are a resource saver...... JMHO.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Steve S

The link shows a lot of utility specs in the States but no faucets
I never fill the sink to wash the dishes as it uses more hot water as I have to rinse them as well. The best way if I'm fast enough is to wash and rinse one after another but but if I'm not I'm out of water pretty fast. If there was a low flow tap it would be better as there would still be the same or close to it pressure and there would still be hot water.
The taps that I've looked at are great for a home but with the lower pressure in a trailer it wouldn't make much sense as it would be a trickle. I'm actually surprised that the RV place couldn't find anything for me
I thought that there was a screw on adaptor that would keep the pressure but less water
Old 12-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
slow

Rather than low flow faucets, this may be of interest to you.

To limit the use of water and make washing dishes quick, we use a large sponge to rinse our dishes. Since our sink is a large single, we place two tubs in it, one for wash (with detergent) water, the second for rinse (with clean) water. We use the sponge to absorb water from rinse tub and rinse dishes with the sponge over wash water tub. Takes a total of about one gallon max to wash dishes, pot and pans for the two of us after each meal.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I think John hit the nail on the head. Not to start a debate on "low pressure" heads, but in my experience they are more trouble than they're worth in most cases. You actually have to have pretty good pressure for them to do much. If you are running 40 psi or less they can be problematic depending on the head.

As far as filling to wash vs running water; My wife believed in just running water and washing/rinsing. I told her she was wasting too much water and she disagreed. I told her to wash dishes as she always did and put a stopper in the sink (in our stick house). On that day, with that load of dishes, she dumped the sink 2 times and was into the 3rd fill. I had her set all the dishes on the counter. I filled the sink with dish water, washed the dishes and rinsed in running water with the plug in. I was done before the rinse sink was 3/4 full. Much less water. Unfortunately, we then place all the dishes in the dishwasher and then run them to sanitize them......guess we're a little warped
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
hankaye

Steve S. Howdy;

Just looked at the State Spec's. Generally they are saying 2.2 gpm (US).
The faucet that came with my 2008 Cougar is indicated at 2.5 gpm.
I don't think 0.3 gpm is going to 'break the water bank. Even when
compounded times the number of RV's with these faucets. Just my opinion.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Steve S

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, I'm going to try them all