Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #21
archer75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Over/Under conversion kits are available from Dexter at their website: http://dexteraxle.com/over_under_conversion_kits

The cost varies depending on the axle diameter ($51 vs $58). These kits pretty much make it a "driveway mod" without the need to do any welding.
We've reversed our decision and decided to hold off on a new trailer. Instead we're going to use our funds on a new truck.

So the axle flip is back on the table. I have a friend who can weld so that's not a problem.
The question is, do I really need a kit? Could I just use the parts that are already there?
The existing spring perches are welded onto the axles. Could I just flip the axles upside down and still use those perches?

At this time would it be a worthwhile upgrade to add a morryde suspension setup?
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

No, you can't just "flip the axles upside down" and attach the springs to the "now on top" spring perches.

The reason you can't do that is the axle tubes are cambered (curved) so they "flatten out" under load. If you "flip the axles" the camber would be on the bottom and work against keeping the tires in correct alignment as well as help with supporting the trailer when loaded.

I'd suggest that if you're looking at a new truck, don't do anything until you've hitched and towed with the new tow vehicle. You may find that you don't need to modify the trailer once you're hitched to a different tow vehicle. Remember that hundreds of this model trailer have been produced and only a very few (if any other than yours) are having this problem. So, save your money until you know you need to spend it on an axle conversion kit.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 AM   #23
archer75

I'm not sure I understand how a new truck would change the height of the trailer? The height of the trailer is the same hitched or unhitched. If I have a taller truck and don't lower the hitch head it would only angle the front of the trailer up.
Am I missing something?
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote