Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Micah.TX

Passport 2890RL buy for a newbie!?

DW and I are ready to buy our first RV - 2015 Passport 2890RL from Holiday World. Have crunched the numbers and read reviews until I'm cross-eyed. This model seems to be the best fit for us. Being newbies, we will learn as we go. We're retired and ready to hit the road! And comments pro or con? Not too late to change our minds. (My DW says I tend to analyze things to death.) We'll take a short trip to practice and test everything and then it's across country and back for about 5,000 miles. Gone 6 weeks.

Oh yeah, lots of clubs out there. Passport or Good Sam's Club for the best RV discounts? Or join both? Thanks!
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Javi

We had just two real complaints with our 2890RL, the lack of counter space for preparing meals and the water closet being so small that we couldn't close the door when using it.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
Micah.TX

Wow! Couldn't close the door! I'm 6'2" so that definitely could be a problem. I'll check that out. Thanks.
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If you're ready then put the plan together and go!! As far as clubs I think you join as many as you want. I have Good Sam's and Passport America. I'm not the kind to just drive and find a place to stop somewhere. I plan everything in advance so we know what we're doing, what to look at, where to go, where the Walmart is etc. Half the time we have to stay in campgrounds that aren't in one of those clubs but I find them online. Planning it all is half the fun for us anyway.

As Javi mentioned, check out the bathroom closely. Stand in the shower (if it's a small one) and see how it fits too.

Good luck on that trip and hope you have a blast. It's a great way to travel and see things.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah.TX View Post
Good information. Thanks. Been on a number of cruises so I know about small showers. However, I told my DW if I can't shut the bathroom door that would be deal breaker. There are some other Passports we can consider, including a Bullet 248RKS that looks nice. Will do the "sit down" test for all! :-)
When we bought ours I got in the shower and it was tight but I felt I could live with it as I wasn't a virgin to RV living. But I never even considered how tight the toilet was to the wall and the door. It did help when I replaced the plastic toilet with an 18" porcelain Dometic and angled it around into the room as much as I could with the flange.

The DW and I are not small people and the entire bath was too small for us. Even getting in and out of the shower required that the door be opened so we could step around the shower door.

We loved the trailer, but we couldn't get rid of it soon enough either.. The bath in the new trailer is as big as the one in our stick & brick home.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #6
w4jtn

former owner of 2890RL

Dw and I had a 2890RL for 3 years. Love it except for the bathroom. It became to small and it was hard getting in and out of the shower. We traded up to a 2015 322RL, which has a much larger bathroom and more room in the rear living area.
w4jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
cathcartww

We were sort of in the same situation, and really liked the rear living room layout. We were newbies, and getting ready to retire, and wondered whether we would like the RV lifestyle or not. What worked perfectly for us was to buy a nice, clean, used trailer (we ended up with a 2005 Jayco JayFeather 29N) and after using it for a year or so, determined exactly what we really needed. We were able to trade it for almost what we paid for it for a very slightly used 2012 Outback 277RL which is perfectly suited to the way our RV lifestyle evolved ....

So far we are living happily ever after, and have missed the "new trailer depreciation" syndrome twice.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote