Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
therink

Ideas for replacing junk furniture

I need some ideas. This winter, I plan on replacing the uncomfortable pleather sofa with a dual recliner love seat.
I also want to replace the warped and wobbly dinette table. My table is the type with two aluminum posts with a thin osb table. The table has warped and the aluminum posts will not remain tight no matter what I do. The whole table assemblyis junk at best. The dinette seat cushion are thin and leave a lot to be desired.
I have a good idea about couch replacement. I am just going to shop locally for a comfy dual recliner couch that will fit and match decor. I don't care about the air mattress option. That is a no-brainer.
What have others done to replace or improve the table? I thought about removing the dinette and replacing with 4 chairs and free standing table but do like the option of using as a bed.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
bsmith0404

You can use the same dinette hardware, go get a half sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade oak plywood and some 3/4" oak 1/4 round molding. Use the molding around the edges to hide the plywood, stain it to match your interior and mount it. Put small dabs of wood glue in with the screws, they won't come out. Your new table will be solid, sturdy, look good and cost you about $40 and a few hours of your time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
You can use the same dinette hardware, go get a half sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade oak plywood and some 3/4" oak 1/4 round molding. Use the molding around the edges to hide the plywood, stain it to match your interior and mount it. Put small dabs of wood glue in with the screws, they won't come out. Your new table will be solid, sturdy, look good and cost you about $40 and a few hours of your time.
Excellent idea. I would also need to replce the two post pedestals with something better. i cant use the sidewall as a mounting option due to the large window that extends about 4 inches below the tabletop.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Brantlaker

Look at Boat tables they use straight legs (not tapered) I used them on my TT the base plates should be the same. The sofa you will have to take the backs off to fit in the door.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Bar-OneRanch

I'm coming in a little late on this, if you go to factoryRVsurplus.com they sell a folding table base, no more posts to worry about. Our friends have this on their new trailer and they can take the table outside.
Chris
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
geo

We bought a FlexSteel sleeper sofa from Bradd & Hall to replace the POS Alpine sofa. It breaks into parts to move in and out. We moved it to our new fiver, then also bought two Lambright recliners from Bradd and Hall. Later, we added two side tables. Bradd & Hall are out of Elkhart.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
dancewithmarg

Furniture improvements

We took out our uncomfortable sofa and replaced it with two La-z-Boy Harbor Town recliners, narrower than most recliners, but still ample room for us, just enough space between to get your hand down the side to use the recline handle. Big improvement.
Also replaced the bracket the tv was held on with to one that swings out without having to turn the revolving wooden frame, gives the viewer in the seat nearest the tv a better view instead of cutting out a third of the picture.
(table is still warped!)
dancewithmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancewithmarg View Post
We took out our uncomfortable sofa and replaced it with two La-z-Boy Harbor Town recliners, narrower than most recliners, but still ample room for us, just enough space between to get your hand down the side to use the recline handle. Big improvement.
Also replaced the bracket the tv was held on with to one that swings out without having to turn the revolving wooden frame, gives the viewer in the seat nearest the tv a better view instead of cutting out a third of the picture.
(table is still warped!)
You're the 1st response to this thread in 3 1/2 years! But welcome !
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
dancewithmarg

Thank you. I figured the OP has probably done his renovations by now but thought it might be helpful to future readers.
dancewithmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
gearhead

Good timing for me. Our "theatre recliners" just disintegrated. The leather? wrinkled up and then just melted away. Was thinking Costco or similar for replacements.
Thanks for the vendor info.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote