Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
lifecamper

Got the batteries now inverter question

Ok I replaced my old NAPA 12V with 4 Trojan T-105 in series parallel. That hurt my wallet more than anything. So now I am trying to choose the appropriate size inverter. Going to go with pure sine wave. I found a great deal on a 3500W unit with wireless remote. Question: Will it work with my battery supply? I have read of guys on here running 4000W inverter with two 12V batteries and it works fine. A guy wanting to sell me a 2000W inverter says I can't run the 3500W inverter with my batteries. He wants me to buy his 2000W for the same money as the 3500W unit.The 2000W would probably fill my needs. Need some input here. Thanks in advance for putting up with my newbee questions.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The person trying to sell the 2000w is NOT a friend. 12v dc is 12v dc no matter how many batteries it comes from. The remote is a must in my book so you can mount as close to the batteries as possible and only have inverter on when you need it to minimize battery drain. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Remember .... it is not a mod without posting pictures. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
lifecamper

Would like to include pics but don't know how. I'm computer challenged.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Funny you should ask .... In our "Forum technical support " section "CLICK HERE" you will find several how to posts on that subject. We have faith in you ... you can do it. You will also see in that section where others have practiced and succeeded to hone their skills. No pressure, just enjoy, Hank

The nice thing is if it doesn't work you can just delete it and no one will ever know.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
lifecamper

http://keystonerv.org/forums/images/...attach/jpg.gif

I think these are the pics of my install of 4 t-105's in my Springdale. As you can see there is a lot of room on the bulkhead for an inverter and solar controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0752.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	6879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0753.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6880  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecamper View Post
http://keystonerv.org/forums/images/...attach/jpg.gif

I think these are the pics of my install of 4 t-105's in my Springdale. As you can see there is a lot of room on the bulkhead for an inverter and solar controller.
Nice use of a storage container as a battery box! I had read that charge controllers and inverters should not be stored in the same compartment with the batteries because of the hydrogen gas produced when charging. However, the landing gear motor is right above my batteries, so not sure if that is a fast rule, but I plan to install those on the other side of the bulkhead in the basement.
I just did two golf cart batteries as I wasn't into that much wallet pain and want to see how well my DW takes to dry camping. For what I want to use (TV, BluRay and leaf blower), a 300w Samlex should do the job, but I have to go with the 600w for a remote.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
lifecamper

I put a vent line in the battery box and a drain hole in the bottom. I attached the storage box to the floor. I figure the venting is sufficient but going through the bulkhead might be a good idea. One could do that and still keep the cables short. I am going with the 2000W pure sine inverter after finding out the 3500W was mod. sine. Will be adding a 200W solar at later date.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Ok I replaced my old NAPA 12V with 4 Trojan T-105 in series parallel. That hurt my wallet more than anything. So now I am trying to choose the appropriate size inverter. Going to go with pure sine wave. I found a great deal on a 3500W unit with wireless remote. Question: Will it work with my battery supply? I have read of guys on here running 4000W inverter with two 12V batteries and it works fine. A guy wanting to sell me a 2000W inverter says I can't run the 3500W inverter with my batteries. He wants me to buy his 2000W for the same money as the 3500W unit.The 2000W would probably fill my needs. Need some input here. Thanks in advance for putting up with my newbee questions.
lifecamper:
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering why you chose the pure sine wave over the modified inverter. I know the advantages of having a pure sine wave over the modified - especially if you are going to use it for sensitive electronic components. But if you don't plan to use it in this way, a modified one would work well and be far more economical.

I realize that with the amount of "sensitive electronics" in much of today's everyday items that need electricity to run, it's hard to find anything that doesn't have sensitive electronics in them. Even the digital clock on your stereo system might be affected by a regular, modified inverter.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
lifecamper

Why Not?

You hit the nail right on the head. I would rather spend a little more for a pure sine wave inverter and know that my electronics are safe. Mostly will want to be able to stop and watch a little TV, use the computer, and maybe microwave a hot pocket. My intention is to be able to plug in my power cable and use all the existing plug-ins if need be. I have changed all of my lighting to LED. I have a Dish Tailgater, a lap-top, and Melinacom internet hot-spot. When I am boondocking I will have a 200W solar charger hooked to the battery pack. By plugging the inverter into the trailer electrical supply I believe the on board battery charger will assist in recharge of the batteries. If that draw is too much or it creates a problem I'll install a disconnect switch. When push come to shove I have mounted a 4000W Sportsman LP generator and two 20# bottles, on the rear of the trailer and can Hook it up. It runs everything and charges the batteries. By hooking into the power cord the inverter will also run the water pump. I will switch the hot water heater and frig to gas. I have two 30# and in an emergency I have the two 20# intended for the generator. Winter in the desert should be tolerable with just a fan and open vents. Summer in the North ditto.
My next project is to cut a hinged access door in front of the two 30# bottles to make it easier to remove/install the big heavy bottles.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Sounds like you are good to go - anywhere, anytime! Enjoy.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
lifecamper

I'm a full timer

My home is where I park it. I am a full timer. Just me and my best friend Gunner. Going North in the summer and fall for birds. then turn South for the winter. Going to make a stop in Tulsa to see my sister. http://keystonerv.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1409085742
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0755.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	6887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0756.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	6888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0757.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6889   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0128.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6890  
Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
SkiSmuggs

I saw a post where someone warned against the OEM converter/charger being plugged into an inverter, so keep us apprised as to how that works out. The solar charger should be much more effective at charging the batteries. I think some sort of transfer switch might be a better idea.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
My home is where I park it. I am a full timer. Just me and my best friend Gunner. Going North in the summer and fall for birds. then turn South for the winter. Going to make a stop in Tulsa to see my sister.
Ah, the good life!