Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #81
Ken / Claudia

It was nice that a member posted #77. We got to hear the drivers side of the crash. Not a lot of useful information about the cause that we could not figure out. For sure he found out putting a vehicle into 4x4 can help with pulling, not so much in stopping. Driver said he was trying to slow down before the crash. He also thought they were at about 30 mph. Since I learned about the data bar information from the dash cam. The trail vehicle was going about 39 when the RV crossed the center of the road.
When conducting a crash investigation you always list the 1st harmful event and followed by facts. This one could summed up: Loss of vehicle control due to the speed for the weather/road conditions= driver error.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #82
jasin1

As a side note I was on my way for a weekend on my boat with my wife this past summer...we came across a jet ski just past the mouth of Middle River with the operator in the water with a life jacket on. Perfectly calm day. I stopped,I always stop to help on the water. Anyway I told the guy to climb aboard and I would tow him a 1/4 mile back to a marina. He said “ but I’m trying to get to the gunpowder River “ about 4 miles away.I said are you sure? It’s a long way and I can’t tow you that far .
He said “nope I’m good I will wait for someone that will tow me home” (He was actively swimming away from shore)
He couldn’t be helped though I tried.
I radioed the Coast Guard/ Marine police and told them their was a knucklehead at the mouth of the river and please respond.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #83
flybouy
Site Team

I watched the entire "follow up" video. I feel sorry for him and his family. IMHO he didn't learn a thing from their experience. He can't even figure out that he's WALKING too fast down the trail. He almost lost his footing several times. To me, he's obviously distracted with how he looks and not his safety.

What I heard was a lot of excuses and complaints on "how much it was going to cost him". I'll bet it ends up costing him a lot more than it would have to have missed that day at work he was traveling for (at least that was his excuse). On that note, he said he "had to travel because he had a lot of work to catch up on Monday". OK, he stated they full time, they have a router with cell coverage, and they have a generator so what was the urgency again?

I know I'll get some blowback for this but that's how I see it. Note he didn't have a word from his DW or kids but all him, blabbing about his accomplishment on climbing the trail. He couldn't even film a frame of that beautiful view without being in the center of it. The only part without a selfie was while showing and talking about the cosmetic damages on truck and trailer. To me, that says a lot. That's my opinion, yours may differ.

As for stopping at an accident or breakdown scene it boils down to some common sense. A quick assessment of the situation and surroundings are in order.
1. Will my stopping put me (or anyone with me) in danger? You can't help if you get injured and need help. You just compound the problem.
2. Can I help? If the person(s) involved look OK and people ae there than no, I'll most likely just get in the way.
3. No one there, or someone's there but obviously not helping then I'll stop and try to render aid if it's safe to do so.
4. A breakdown is a totally different situation and brings up different concerns.
Is the person in danger? I. E broke down in freezing weather? Stuck in the middle of the road? Does it look like a setup? I.E. Is there someplace close by for someone to hide? Do they look nervous (constantly looking around or looking in one particular spot where a partner could be?

I have stopped at many accidents in my 50+ years of driving. I've helped render aid and I've held a hand, said a prayer, and talked to an injured man while he passed. I've also called for help on cb radios and with a "bag phone" when most people didn't know what a cell phone was. I've also experienced lying in the road injured, not knowing if the last thing I'd see were a bunch of gawkers with "oh my God is he dead looks and words coming down at me". So with that said, I'll never stop to be an observer.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

After watching the video in post 77 I come away with some observations. Not to be harsh, and I know some will probably disagree but;

1) This individual didn't know anything about how the weather works on mountain passes, was unprepared for what might happen and had no idea what to do when it did - but he went anyway - choices.

2) He was driving too fast - choices.

3) Didn't learn much; there was a reason for everything that happened that was beyond his control so not his fault - choices.

4) IMO bad form to try to capitalize on a "near miss" for you and your family by hoping to boost your you tube followers - choices.

5) Staying in an RV park that you know is going to kick you out on x day and you don't know the weather in advance...or leave in advance isn't sharp - choices.

6) I could go on but the entire situation was brought on by choices - poor ones. And from the video looks like they're apt to be repeated. Some may know where this is going and forgive me but it's Sunday and the rain has finally stopped....

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #85
notanlines

And he rambled on for 12 1/2 minutes saying what could have been said concisely in 2 minutes.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #86
Northofu1

Who? George Jones?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #87
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
And he rambled on for 12 1/2 minutes saying what could have been said concisely in 2 minutes.
You can figure out everything you need to know about some people in just a sentence or two
Old 01-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #88
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

2 words. Some will never figure it out, lots drive around in the snow with a deer in the headlights look.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #89
Ken / Claudia

I agree 100%, if the guy wants to have people listen and watch him on his site. He needs to learn know to speak, not ramble on and on and do better with his selfie stick. That video could have been under 5 minutes and been more informative.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #90
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I watched the entire "follow up" video. I feel sorry for him and his family. IMHO he didn't learn a thing from their experience. He can't even figure out that he's WALKING too fast down the trail. He almost lost his footing several times. To me, he's obviously distracted with how he looks and not his safety.

What I heard was a lot of excuses and complaints on "how much it was going to cost him". I'll bet it ends up costing him a lot more than it would have to have missed that day at work he was traveling for (at least that was his excuse). On that note, he said he "had to travel because he had a lot of work to catch up on Monday". OK, he stated they full time, they have a router with cell coverage, and they have a generator so what was the urgency again?

I know I'll get some blowback for this but that's how I see it. Note he didn't have a word from his DW or kids but all him, blabbing about his accomplishment on climbing the trail. He couldn't even film a frame of that beautiful view without being in the center of it. The only part without a selfie was while showing and talking about the cosmetic damages on truck and trailer. To me, that says a lot. That's my opinion, yours may differ.

As for stopping at an accident or breakdown scene it boils down to some common sense. A quick assessment of the situation and surroundings are in order.
1. Will my stopping put me (or anyone with me) in danger? You can't help if you get injured and need help. You just compound the problem.
2. Can I help? If the person(s) involved look OK and people ae there than no, I'll most likely just get in the way.
3. No one there, or someone's there but obviously not helping then I'll stop and try to render aid if it's safe to do so.
4. A breakdown is a totally different situation and brings up different concerns.
Is the person in danger? I. E broke down in freezing weather? Stuck in the middle of the road? Does it look like a setup? I.E. Is there someplace close by for someone to hide? Do they look nervous (constantly looking around or looking in one particular spot where a partner could be?

I have stopped at many accidents in my 50+ years of driving. I've helped render aid and I've held a hand, said a prayer, and talked to an injured man while he passed. I've also called for help on cb radios and with a "bag phone" when most people didn't know what a cell phone was. I've also experienced lying in the road injured, not knowing if the last thing I'd see were a bunch of gawkers with "oh my God is he dead looks and words coming down at me". So with that said, I'll never stop to be an observer.
I couldn’t even watch the whole follow up video. Dude was having a word salad full of excuses how none of it was his fault.
Probably better that his wife and kid are in a chase vehicle. They are much safer without him driving.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #91
notanlines

Brant, "Dude was having a word salad full of excuses how none of it was his fault"I couldn't have said it better.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #92
flybouy
Site Team

I like this song myself....
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #93
Campermike

I feel for the guy but I am with a number of you guys that he isn't learning anything from it. Snow and towing is no fun though and I myself also wrecked the day I got my trailer. It was in December and windy. Snow was starting but not bad and we had a 90 mile trip home. First mistake was not going straight home and instead stopping by a friend's house since I was in the area. By the time we left roads were getting much worse. 2nd mistake was trying to avoid driving thru town and avoid the tollway. I thought going slow I'd be fine. Well the secondary highways had ice patches and wind was gusting over 30mph. It pushed the truck and trailer into oncoming lane, then basically I was swinging back and forth across the road. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic, and I was going slow and had the ability to steer into the slide and stay on the road. At my first opportunity i re routed through town and onto the tollway which was clear of ice. I don't plan to ever tow in wind and snow like that again... But if I do I will take well traveled roads or pull over.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing